PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leonard Russel Bust in 91 draft?

UGAPatsfan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was 11 and not yet a fan...I was looking through historical Pats drafts and was struck by how poorly we drafted in the 80's at RB. He did win Ap ROY that year and then nada. Was he a bust, or injured?

We also blew it a lot on WR picks in rd 1-3 (even still actually)

as I recall he shot himself out of town with contractual issues plus Parcells came into town around that time. Remember that San Diego rb bust? can't remember his name, he was not good, always ran into his linemen.

as I recall he shot himself out of town with contractual issues plus Parcells came into town around that time. Remember that San Diego rb bust? can't remember his name, he was not good, always ran into his linemen.

Marion Butts

Nevermind, I have been drinking!

Last edited:
I was 11 and not yet a fan...I was looking through historical Pats drafts and was struck by how poorly we drafted in the 80's at RB. He did win Ap ROY that year and then nada. Was he a bust, or injured?

We also blew it a lot on WR picks in rd 1-3 (even still actually)

If I recall correctly, we held the #1 pick that year. The big talk was weather or not we would take Rocket Ismael (ironically, he would be another WR bust).

We traded the pick for two early 1st rounders, grabbed Russell with the first pick, and defensive tackle Pat Harlow with the other.

The Cowboys wound up picking first and grabed Russell Maryland.

Russell Maryland was an excellent player.

I thought Pat Harlow was an offensive tackle or is my memory failing me?

Nope, I was right. Thanks Wiki!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pat_Harlow

PS Leonard Russell could be considered a bust. He was supposed to succeed Stephens but I don't think he ever averaged over 4.0 ypc in a season. He had a lone 1,000 yard season and began to think too highly of himself. Not much of a career.

Here are the stats:
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/RussLe00.htm

Last edited:
Pat Harlow was an OT and an excellent one at that...

Leonard Russell was a big, bruising back that didn't have much speed. I recall he got himself stabbed at the Yacht Club in Boston and it seemed to put him into disfavor with the coaches afterwards.

He got 1,000 yards under Parcells in his first year but then was gone after that.

Marion Butts was a Parcells acquisition. Who can forget BP's quote before the signing: "The guy gets 4 yards a carry. It's automatic."

He was awful.

In the 90s we managed to draft Curtis Martin, Kevin Turner, kevin Faulk and Robert Edwards.... in addition there was Sedrick Shaw, Moaario Grier and Dino Philyaw

:D

Ric

Pats could run the ball back even when they sucked back in the late 80's early 90's. Always turned out a 1,000 yard rusher. Stephens, Russel etc.

It's just the lack of a QB and decent play calling always cost them the game.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back