PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leon Washington tendered at 2nd round level...

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsox23

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
According to Rich Cimini of the New York Daily News, it's "believed" that the Jets will use a second-round tender on restricted free agent Leon Washington next week.

Anyone interested? I realize he's coming off an injury, but this is Kevin Faulk redux but younger, AND it weakens a division opponent, AND we have three 2nd rounders. I can't stand the reflexive "let's sign THAT guy!" spirit that at times pervades this site, but I think it's worth considering. Washington can be an impact at RB/PR on a similar level to Welker when we signed him.

Thoughts?

Sign the man i saii... Be a great mentor to LoMo... Who kno's, maybe LoMo just needs guidance...

I'd do it. In a heartbeat.

The Jets would probably match an offer from us but there's also no guarantee Washington will be 100% this season. I love the guy but I'd pass.

Last edited:
I'm a bit weary of singing Jets RBs as they have one of the best run blocking offensive lines in the league, we don't.

RBs stats can be inflated in that system.

I'm a bit weary of singing Jets RBs as they have one of the best run blocking offensive lines in the league, we don't.

Leon is not an every down back though, his biggest contribution would be in the passing game, 3rd downs, KO and punt returns.

Washington would still be able to generate plenty of production in our system and would be a long term replacement for Faulk.

As for his injury, I think he'll be fine.

As for his injury, I think he'll be fine.
It was similar to Michael Bush's injury which too him a couple of years to return from. Washington may be fine but I don't want to pay a second round draft choice to find out.

If he passes the physical.

Yes, sign that melon farmer immediately.

The Jets would probably match an offer from us but there's also no guarantee Washington will be 100% this season. I love the guy but I'd pass.

=====================================================

The 2nd tender is a good way for the Jets to negotiate a contract with Leon.

the Jets and Leon have been unable to agree on a deal, if the Pats were to offer Leon a deal I would think that the Pats would be offering a fair market deal which the Jets could then match and have there RB locked up for the near future.

The 2nd tender could be very beneficial to getting Leon signed long term.

Of course the Pats could always add a poison pill to there offer such as if Leon plays more then 4 games in the state of NJ in a year he would get a 10 mil bonus.

Depends on who else is tendered at the 2nd round level. I want to see what guys like Floyd, Marshall, Merriman, Austin, V-Jax, Edwards, etc. are tendered at. I like Leon Washington, but I have to think there will be some guys more worthy of going after than him, especially with a few DE/OLB and WR on the market.

It was similar to Michael Bush's injury which too him a couple of years to return from. Washington may be fine but I don't want to pay a second round draft choice to find out.

I would. If he isn't normal in the short term, we still have Faulk and still have Leon for the future. If he does come back essentially the same, we have another weapon. For a second round price, it's a good deal.

Sign the man i saii... Be a great mentor to LoMo... Who kno's, maybe LoMo just needs guidance...

Mentor LoMo?
They both have 4 years experience, as they both entered the league in 06, and even though LoMo has 10 games less experience(due to injuries- LoMo has NEVER played 16) he has MORE offensive touches (rush/rec- NOT including ST's).
Leon isn't gonna teach Laurence anything.

Mentor LoMo?
They both have 4 years experience, as they both entered the league in 06, and even though LoMo has 10 games less experience(due to injuries- LoMo has NEVER played 16) he has MORE offensive touches (rush/rec- NOT including ST's).
I thought that comment was pretty funny too.

Last edited:

Is Leon Washington ENOUGH of an upgrade over Faulk to merit a 2nd round pick? I'd rather look for a possible feature back if I'm spending that high of a pick.

Mentor LoMo?

LOL, the excuses won't end for 'LoMo' till he gets cut or released from the team. Right now there's no benefit to doing either since he's on the last year of a fairly cheap rookie contract, but I don't think you can teach Maroney new tricks at this point in time.

Last edited:
As much as I like Washington I wouldn't spend a 2nd round pick on him, I don't know how the system works but would the jets be able to tag him 2 years in a row? It would make more sense to get him next year if possible, I'd rather spend the pick on an impact player or on trading down for many picks in the lower rounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes