PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leon Washington is going to absolutely scorch this D#

Status
Not open for further replies.
Belichick takes away one thing from the opposing offense. This week that one thing is the run. Washington will not win the game for the jets. The game can be won by the jets only if Sanchez can regulary beat our secondary for more points that the Brady Bunch scores.

The bottom line is that we are a much better team than the jets and match up reasonably well against them. Besides, a Belichick team does NOT have two weak efforts in a row.

No... actually it's not even remotely close to the same thing.

If Washington is able to bounce it outside that easily, it could be much uglier. Washington >>>> Jackson.

.....you mean:"Old Hickory" Andrew Jackson? little long-in the-tooth,even for our team.

Belichick takes away one thing from the opposing offense. This week that one thing is the run. Washington will not win the game for the jets. The game can be won by the jets only if Sanchez can regulary beat our secondary for more points that the Brady Bunch scores.

The bottom line is that we are a much better team than the jets and match up reasonably well against them. Besides, a Belichick team does NOT have two weak efforts in a row.

Very good point. I am sure we will be fine on Sunday. Belichick will have watched enough tape in the last 24 hours to know where he needs to work and what he needs to do to get us in the best shape possible.

I completely agree with you. This echoes what I wrote way back in post 53, which everyone has ignored in subsequent discussion:

Yes, you are panicking. No reason to panic.

First, I love Leon Washington as a player. Great player. Much better than Fred Jackson, who was pretty darn good against us. Only negative thing I have to say about Leon Washington is that he's a Jet.

But ...

(1) BB always focuses his defensive plan on taking away the opposing offense's best weapon. Against Buffalo that was Evans and T.O., and we shut them down. The cost of that was giving up the screen and short stuff. The Jets WRs don't pose the same deep threat. I expect BB to leave the secondary to hold it's own with the Jets WRs, and focus his attention on stopping Leon Washington and the screen plays.

(2) Our screen defense sucked big time on Monday. It will get a lot of attention this week.

(3) Part of our reason for sucking was Mayo's injury. A week of practice should make the remaining LBs much more comfortable with their roles.

(4) I'm hoping to see Pryor active and Ron Brace playing this week. Makes it a lot harder for the opponents to get outside. I thought Jarvis Green played the poorest of our front line last week.

I don't expect us to shut down Leon Washington. He's too good. But I expect us to contain him, and contain the run, and force Sanchez to beat us. I like those odds.

Regarding our offense, I expect that the Jets big weapon will be the blitz. Darrel Revis is a stud, but he can only cover one guy, and Brady has too many weapons for the Jets secondary to stop him. Joey Galloway will get a chance to catch some balls this week, as will Watson and Maroney. Rex's boys will be bringing the pressure, and I assume a big part of the Pats' game plan will be to prepare for this. I expect to see more running plays including some delayed handoffs to throw off the timing of the blitz, and possible a lot of Matthews at TE as a 6th OL to pick up the blitz.

BB is a master at making adjustments and scheming to take away opponents' strengths. No need to panic.

BB will contain Washington and force Sanchez to beat us. BB will contain the Jets blitz and keep it off balance.

After watching how easily Fred Jackson was able to turn the corner on us Monday Night, I shutter at the thought of what Washington will do.

Our front seven will have trouble sealing off the edge all season, and those quick little scat backs have been an issue for us the last few seasons. No Mayo, No Sey, I think we are in some serious trouble this week against the run. Washington is as dynamic as there is in the league when he gets the ball in space or bounces to the outside. Im expecting to see lots of nicle and dime packages because we simply dont have the speed to contain him up front.

Our O-line better get their act together quick (YEAH THAT MEANS YOU TODD LIGHT!)... because I have a feeling we are gonna need to put up at least 30 to get past the Boogers. I hate to say it... but I have a hard time picturing any offense hanging 30 on them if they play the way they did against Houston last week.

Yes... I am officially Panicking. :Bag-Over-Head:

I completely agree, for the reasons - both offensively & defensively - stated above. This one could get ugly; in fact, I am beginning to fear for Brady's safety, health & well-being.

This one could get ugly; in fact, I am beginning to fear for Brady's safety, health & well-being.

Don't you think you're overreacting just a tad. It sounds like dinky daddykins thinks that the big bad Jetskins are going to scare binky baby Bradykins right out of his skin.

I think TB and company will manage to escape from the big bad wolf before he blows their house down.

I think I would fine with Washington getting the same number of rushing yards as Jackson, even though Jackson "scorched" us. BTW, how many yards was that?

After watching how easily Fred Jackson was able to turn the corner on us Monday Night, I shutter at the thought of what Washington will do.

Our front seven will have trouble sealing off the edge all season, and those quick little scat backs have been an issue for us the last few seasons. No Mayo, No Sey, I think we are in some serious trouble this week against the run. Washington is as dynamic as there is in the league when he gets the ball in space or bounces to the outside. Im expecting to see lots of nicle and dime packages because we simply dont have the speed to contain him up front.

Our O-line better get their act together quick (YEAH THAT MEANS YOU TODD LIGHT!)... because I have a feeling we are gonna need to put up at least 30 to get past the Boogers. I hate to say it... but I have a hard time picturing any offense hanging 30 on them if they play the way they did against Houston last week.

Just remember that it is just one game. Nobody expects an undefeated season.

That being said we still have a good chance to win in a tough enviroment.

Like I said before the buffalo game, the threat of key injuries is the most nerve racking thing to me about football. Usually Tom Brady to Randy Moss takes care of that winning part, you know?

Breath slowly....

Which is why I think we're going to win this game. I do think Washington will have the most success out of the two backs (I'm seeing around a 50 yard game from him). But Sanchez will not be able to beat us, not with the way that our secondary is looking. Those screen passes that Buffalo used against us last week will not work as well this week since the Jets don't have a receiver that the Pats have to respect enough to give 10+ yard cushions to. On offense, I think we see more of the second half Brady than the first half. If we do, that's great news for us. The only thing I don't want us to repeat on offense in the second half is the tremendous amount of passing attempts.

I think I would fine with Washington getting the same number of rushing yards as Jackson, even though Jackson "scorched" us. BTW, how many yards was that?

It's not the rushing yards that are troubling... TYFS. Jackson managed 140 and a TD. (16.6 per catch).

Look... I know the Kool-Aid here is delicious. But there is a whole lot of naive folks in this thread.

I don't expect us to shut down Leon Washington. He's too good. But I expect us to contain him, and contain the run, and force Sanchez to beat us. I like those odds.

This pretty much sums it up in a nutshell, I swear some fans wont be happy unless the other team has negative net yards for the whole game with 5 picks taken to the house.

I haven't been this excited for a game since... well a few months at least. But I do love how I have that feeling I had during the SB years... we're a good team but maybe not as sexy as the other teams... and the media definitely has its doubt with us.. we will win with good coaching and leadership, and get better as the season goes on.

I know Brady will reference Monday's Bills game as a big moment in the season when Jim Nantz interviews him on that Miami field covered in confetti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back