PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LenDale White fat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

p8ryts

In the Starting Line-Up
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
I'm listening to patriots.com radio from yesterday and I believe it was Andy Hart that said LenDale White would be a bust because he was fat and out of shape. This is the first negative I've heard and he was the number one target I was hoping for.

They also said BB was focusing more on mid round running backs.

Anybody else have anything on White?

p8ryts said:
I'm listening to patriots.com radio from yesterday and I believe it was Andy Hart that said LenDale White would be a bust because he was fat and out of shape. This is the first negative I've heard and he was the number one target I was hoping for.

They also said BB was focusing more on mid round running backs.

Anybody else have anything on White?

At the Combine, White was something like 23 pounds over his reported playing weight at USC. If it's not a weight issue, it certainly begs the question why he wasn't preparing better for the combine. As Belichick is likely saying to himself, "How important is football to this guy?"

Personally, I think Addai is better, and DonTrelle Moore as good.

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
At the Combine, White was something like 23 pounds over his reported playing weight at USC. If it's not a weight issue, it certainly begs the question why he wasn't preparing better for the combine. As Belichick is likely saying to himself, "How important is football to this guy?"

Personally, I think Addai is better, and DonTrelle Moore as good.
Concur, and to my mind they will go higher then I care to pick, but that is just me. Grab Terrence Whitehead or P.j. Daniels second day and sign P.J. Pope to a FA contract, they'll do for us. :)

Last edited:
Box_O_Rocks said:
Concur, and to my mind they will go higher then I care to pick, but that is just me. Grab Terrence Whitehead or P.j. Daniels second day and sign P.J. Pope to a FA contract, they'll do for us. :)

I do like Whitehead. Also Rhodes and Mathis potentially late. Rhodes could go undrafted. I admit to not knowing the first thing about Pope. It's odd that both your guys go by PJ. Are those your initials?

Last edited:
As I posted last month, the rap on White is that he is not the hardest worker. I'm not sure football is the most imprtant thing in his life.

I read on another site that he put on 10lb before MNC game because
he ate a Turkey! Yes, a whole f'n turkey!! Not sure I want him toting
the ball in crunch time. He might eat it. I'll try to dig up the link.

dryheat44 said:
I do like Whitehead. Also Rhodes and Mathis potentially late. Rhodes could go undrafted. I admit to not knowing the first thing about Pope. It's odd that both your guys go by PJ. Are those your initials?
Sigh, too much peyote or too much sun on those desert cycling trips? Sorry, now that I think about it, the fault is mine, my description of the Hula Bowl QBs was obviously too vivid...:rolleyes:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/showthread.php?t=30569

Regarding Daniels: He ran a 4.67 (see link below) at the Combine, but he was as quick as Addai in the cut drill; not much to go on, but his vision/reaction was encouraging.

http://2006.ontheclockdraft.com/group_list.php?method=position&id=running+back

Rhodes would be a decent FA.

Rhodes sucks

dryheat44 said:
Stay away from Rhodes. He's not going to make it in the NFL. I'll be surprised if he lasts a week in training camp. He has skills and athleticism. But the kid doesn't like to get hit. That sounds stupid but he shies away from contact. Watch him play and he'll never run inside. He always tries to take it outside and outrun everyone. And if he gets hit outside, it's most likely by a DB. When he does run inside, he goes down easy. That's just my observations from seeing Syracuse play. But there's nothing to lose with an UFA.

borisman said:
Stay away from Rhodes. He's not going to make it in the NFL. I'll be surprised if he lasts a week in training camp. He has skills and athleticism. But the kid doesn't like to get hit. That sounds stupid but he shies away from contact. Watch him play and he'll never run inside. He always tries to take it outside and outrun everyone. And if he gets hit outside, it's most likely by a DB. When he does run inside, he goes down easy. That's just my observations from seeing Syracuse play. But there's nothing to lose with an UFA.

As a Syracuse alum, I've watched the team more often than any other (thank you for your condolences). I never got that impression about Rhodes. Syracuse had an uncharacteristic shi!tty O-line this year, and a quarterback who can't throw. He was recruited to run the option, then Pasqualoni got fired, Robinson came in with his pro-style offense, and had no quarterback who could throw the ball. The typical QB line was something like 4-19, 72 yards.

Rhodes tried to bounce everything outside, because defenses typically had 9 men in the box on first and second down, and by the time he got the ball, he had nothing in front of him by guys in the wrong colored jerseys.

Edit, just for the sake of accuracy: Here's QB Perry Patterson's stats:
http://web1.ncaa.org/d1mfb/playerDetail.jsp?yr=2005&org=688&player=10

Last edited:
dryheat44 said:
As a Syracuse alum, I've watched the team more often than any other (thank you for your condolences). I never got that impression about Rhodes.
I hope it's not just your bias talking. :)

I watched Syracuse twice last year and I think that even Barry Sanders would have had a hard time getting 50 yards behind that OL.
I feel for the Orange fans for the next year or three.

Back to White, the "not a hard worker" knock is a difficult one to ignore. Coupled with the weight, it's a big red flag. I think white is poised to fall now that Vernon Davis has establish himself as a freak, making him a more likely target for Arizona at #10. I can even see him falling to #21, in which case I still think we trade down to the later parts of the round (unless someone like Chad Greenway is still there).

I think the 2005 draft showed that BB likes football players, first and foremost. The RB I think that BB will take a serious look at is Joseph Addai. Addai has a reputation for being one of the hardest working players in college football. His game is similar to Faulk's but he, unlike Faulk, has the body (and the hands) to be a feature back. I think he'd be an ideal fit.

The problem is that Addai's stock has shot since running a sub 4.4 40 at the combine. I don't think he's going to be a 1st round guy, but nobody has him falling past Atlanta at #47. I think if we trade down from #21 (a likleyhood since the best players for our system seem to be borderline round 1, round 2 talent), I wouldn't be surprised to hear Addai's name get called.

My dream scenario is this: we trade town to the bottom 4-5 picks of the 1st round (at that point, we're looking at a group that includes Bobby Carpenter, Davin Joseph, Jonathan Scott, Sinorice Moss, maybe Ernie Simms and Ashton Yobouti). BB picks whoever his guy is (I like Carpenter) then uses the picks he acquired to move up in round 2 for Addai.

Didn't someone mention on here that White's nickname for himself is "Showcase"? That really says it all if it is true.

I watched 2 Syracuse games this year, and never came away overly impressed with Rhodes, although it may have been the fault of the OL like some of you are saying. The one thing I will say though, is that Patterson may have been the worst QB I've ever seen in those games. I'd be out for his head if I were a fan... please tell me there's someone else next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes