PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LenDale has inside draft source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports there are some behind-the-scenes talk of USC RB LenDale White not slipping in the NFL Draft as some stories have gone since his poor performance at his Pro Day workout Sunday, April 2. One team drafting in the 20s recently encouraged White not to run before the NFL Draft so it can pounce on him with its selection in the first round. Another team in the mid-teens already has told White it plans on drafting him.

Don't tell me that's us... I hope this is a giant lie either way.

Last edited:
drew4008 said:
Adam Schefter, of the NFL Network, reports there are some behind-the-scenes talk of USC RB LenDale White not slipping in the NFL Draft as some stories have gone since his poor performance at his Pro Day workout Sunday, April 2. One team drafting in the 20s recently encouraged White not to run before the NFL Draft so it can pounce on him with its selection in the first round. Another team in the mid-teens already has told White it plans on drafting him.

It's kind of hard to believe although Shefter, while not perfect, has reasonably good sources. It does seem like a Belichick kind of move :)

This is what RotoWorld says :

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that a team "in the teens" told LenDale White they would draft him in the first round.
Perhaps this explains White's disinterest in his Pro Day. Teams have been known to not follow through with guarantees, so it's still a risky move. With Shefter's connections in Denver, it's hard not to speculate the Broncos may be the team. Apr. 4 - 7:47 pm et

BelichickFan said:
This is what RotoWorld says :

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that a team "in the teens" told LenDale White they would draft him in the first round.
Perhaps this explains White's disinterest in his Pro Day. Teams have been known to not follow through with guarantees, so it's still a risky move. With Shefter's connections in Denver, it's hard not to speculate the Broncos may be the team. Apr. 4 - 7:47 pm et
What, there is no such thing as collusion WRT the NFL draft?

drew4008 said:

One scout said that he needed a bra...thats pretty bad...

Why would Denver use a #1 on a position that they have always filled with later picks with no problem at all?

And why doesn't White want the $ and bonus he could have gotten at 10 over what he can get in the teens/20s?

Last edited:
dhamz said:
Why would Denver use a #1 on a position that they have always filled with later picks with no problem at all?

And why doesn't White want the $ and bonus he could have gotten at 10 over what he can get in the teens/20s?
Those are good questions but don't discount Shefter. He's the one who broke the Portis trade story and has generally been accurate since moving to the NFLN. Keep in mind, he didn't name the team.

Since salaries in the 1st (and most) rounds are pretty well slotted, White would be pretty stupid to allow his draft position to fall. Also his advisor/agent probably gets a % of White's contract.

I seriously doubt any of this is true. His agent surely told him not to run because they both knew he'd time poorly and his draft position would *definitely* fall. Don't run and you at least leave some doubt. There may have been some truth to the rumor that his hammy wasn't 100%...

PFT Rumour Mill said something about Lendale to the Broncos, so combined with the Schefter/Denver ties maybe there's something in that idea.

Personally, I don't like him. Can't put my finger on it, something about the way he moves, the way he carries the ball. His seeming a little on the dumb side and having an admitted 'work ethic' weakness doesn't help.

dhamz said:

FWIW, White is a Denver native. Most players enter the league and get shipped off to essentially foreign places, all by their lonesomes, with no say in the matter. (I'm sure you've heard the quotes from Southern boys drafted by the Patriots who were terrified by winter!) To have a chance to spend the next 5 years of your life exactly where you want to be, playing in front of family and friends for the team you grew up rooting for...that's worth a heck of a lot.

Does that make the story true? Of course not. But it's plausible.

White can't be that dumb

dhamz said:

I agree. White - and his agent can't be that dumb. After the Rose Bowl there was talk he was a top 10 pick. If he worked out and showed decent numbers - 4.55 in the 40 - he would have had a number of teams moving up to get him. If he is "falling" on purpose he is costing himself a lot of money. He is what the #10 pick got last year compared to #21 and #22
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW...nings1strd.htm

10. Lions WR Mike Williams 5 yrs., $13.5 mil., $10.5 mil. guar.
21. Jaguars WR Matt Jones 5 yrs., $8.45 mil., $6.3 mil. guar.
22. Ravens WR Mark Clayton 5 yrs., $8.2 mil., $6 mil. guar.

drew4008 said:
Another team in the mid-teens already has told White it plans on drafting him.

I put this in the world's greatest lies category. How many times have teams told a guy they will draft him, only to pass him up if someone 'better' is available..........?
Like others, I have a bad feeling about him on the Pats....If Williams or Maroney are available, I'd rather them than LW.

BelichickFan said:
It's kind of hard to believe although Shefter, while not perfect, has reasonably good sources. It does seem like a Belichick kind of move :)

I hate to say it but Shefter is STONE COLD MONEY on his sources. I can't think of one time the guy was wrong.

re

Sounds shady, but it would also be naive to think that players don't manipulate where they go in the draft.

Maybe LenDale wants to go to a winning team, or a team where he can produce immediately. It's pretty smart if it's true - top running backs are usually drafted into horrible teams with bad offensive lines.

White isn't going to the Pats though. RB is an issue to address next year or two years from now. LB and WR are more pressing needs.

Last edited:
What, is Denver looking for someone to push Ron Dayne by drafting his clone?

No way we're one of the interested teams. BB doesn't draft players with work ethic issues.

why???

dhamz said:

because Denver ALWAYS seems to go after RB's with early picks......just like Detroit always goes after WR's with their first pick.....they don't f'in get it....that is another reason why BB is so darned brilliant.....fills the needs NO MATTER WHO IS SITTING THERE ON THE BOARD.......I remember 2 years ago (think it was 2 anyways) and Steven Jackson was sitting there....and I am thinking....Please Bill take him!!.....and we drafter Wilfork and, although I thought Vince was a great talent....was hoping to see us pick up a glamorous/exciting player in first round..........so.......expect a DB/CB.....or Linebacker in first round.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back