PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LenDale dropping; other USC Pro Day info

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
At USC's Pro Day RB LenDale White did not run the forty yard dash (again) due to a hamstring problem, and lifted the bar 15 times, below average for his size and running style. His stock is sliding and could be the # 4 RB taken now.

Just for comparison, Reggie Bush stole the show again and definitely distanced himself further from his teammate. Bush ran his 40s in 4.33 and 4.37, and put up 24 reps. Bush also had a 40.5 inch vertical (umm... wow) and 10'8" broad jump.

Quarterback Matt Leinart somehow had a 37" vertical (crazy!) and Darnell Bing (21 reps, 4.53 forty), Fred Matua (5.06 forty) and Winston Justice are also improving their stock with strong showings.

Last edited:
Obviously White is hiding something......he has "BUST" written all over him. Can you say Ron Dayne?

drew4008 said:
At USC's Pro Day RB LenDale White did not run the forty yard dash (again), and lifted the bar 15 times, below average for his size and running style.
In comparison, Tom Malone, the team's punter, lifted 14 times. :rolleyes:

White's also gaining weight; he weighed in at 244, compared to 238 at the combine.

Last edited:
MrTibbs said:
Obviously White is hiding something......he has "BUST" written all over him. Can you say Ron Dayne?
I have never liked him. I hope we stay way away from this guy.

A lot of money and BUST...very very possible..risky..won't happen.

"They ran outdoors on AstroTurf, which was a fast surface. All 40-yard dash times were clocked electronically, which historically adds about .08 of a second to the actual time. For instance, if someone ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds, it really means he ran it in about 4.42 seconds."

Meaning Bush theoretically ran a 4.25! Holy sh!t...

Agreed...I do not see Lendale White as ever becoming a star.

"They ran outdoors on AstroTurf, which was a fast surface. All 40-yard dash times were clocked electronically, which historically adds about .08 of a second to the actual time. For instance, if someone ran the 40 in 4.50 seconds, it really means he ran it in about 4.42 seconds."

And I thought that the 4.3 times were scary. Plus he also did WR drills. I think that with today's performance. Reggie can start spending that #1 overall money.

I've been in the Deangelo Williams camp anyway..... Lendale White was never gonna be our guy if we are looking at RB with 21 which I doubt we are unless Williams falls to 21. That would be stealing! :rocker:

With few teams in need of a RB, I wouldn't be surprised to see White fall to the bottom of round 1 if not out of the round entirely. Carolina may be interested in him at #27 as a replace ment for Steven Davis, other than that, I can't think of a 1st round team that'll grab him. Personally, I prefer even Joseph Addai over White.

Ron Dayne is a harsh comparison, but maybe one that is justified with White's weight problem (if you can't get trim for your pro-day it means something -and it's not good) reflecting either a lack of effort to control his weight or that he thinks he's the next Jerome Bettis. Both ideas are very scary.

Think about it - there are literally millions of dollars on the line for your first big job interview and you can't be bothered to be prepared. Wow...

White has always struck as a product of the great blocking of the USC O-line. He's stiff, a bit heavy footed and not all that fast -> TJ Duckett the second.

How stupid/lazy is LenDale White???

Seriously…After the Rose Bowl all you heard was maybe he was a better prospect the Bush. He was called a young Bettis – before he ballooned up to 280+ pounds. He was big and strong and could carry an offense. The guy has two chances to show the scouts what he has/is and instead of working out he hits the all you can eat buffet line. If the kid can’t be counted on to be prepared for his own pro day how can he be trusted to be in game shape AFTER he gets a big payday?

A while ago some thought we'd trade up in the first round for White. Now the question is will we take him if he's there with our 2nd round pick. He really needs a personal workout in 2 weeks after getting in better shape but he's probably waited too long, 2 weeks likely won't get him where he needs to get.

Bench stats are about as important for RBs as 40 times are for OL. Obviously, his weight game is concerning. I still think Reggie Bush is way overated and White will be a better primary RB than Bush in the NFL.

bucky said:
Bench stats are about as important for RBs as 40 times are for OL. Obviously, his weight game is concerning. I still think Reggie Bush is way overated and White will be a better primary RB than Bush in the NFL.
I'm with you. Chad Greenway did 19 of the same weight and I don't see anyone all over him. Why, because he did 4 more? He's a linebacker. And White supposedly has a bad hamstring. Until proven otherwise, I'll take his word for it. And yes, it does hurt to lift weights with a bad hamstring. It hurts to do just about anything.

White will be a good back. A very good back. And all this nonsense will quickly be forgotten.

J D Sal

I'm pretty sure BB wouldn't consider it "nonsense" when a guy doesn't bother to stay in shape for his tryouts.

And Bush is said to be a fine person with a really positive and cooperative attitude on top of being a insanely talented player. I'm not sure how anyone who follows the Pats could underestimate the worth of this kind of disposition.

Last edited:
JDSal45 said:
And all this nonsense will quickly be forgotten.
No it won't. Less than 4 weeks to the draft, surely you have seen the way momentum works with the draft. Unless something significant happens White is more likely to go in the 3rd round than the 1st. In fact, I'll say the only reason he still goes mid 2nd is that it's a weak draft for RB depth.

Brady'sButtBoy said:
I'm pretty sure BB wouldn't consider it "nonsense" when a guy doesn't bother to stay in shape for his tryouts.

And Bush is said to be a fine person with a really positive and cooperative attitude on top of being a insanely talented player. I'm not sure how anyone who follows the Pats could underestimate the worth of this kind of disposition.
I'm pretty sure Belichick will do more research than listening to Mike Florio whether or not he is "in shape" or not. I don't take it for granted he isn't or any of the other b.s. typical pre-draft crap that goes round.

J D Sal

Brady'sButtBoy said:
Ron Dayne is a harsh comparison, but maybe one that is justified with White's weight problem (if you can't get trim for your pro-day it means something -and it's not good) reflecting either a lack of effort to control his weight or that he thinks he's the next Jerome Bettis. Both ideas are very scary.

Think about it - there are literally millions of dollars on the line for your first big job interview and you can't be bothered to be prepared. Wow...

White has always struck as a product of the great blocking of the USC O-line. He's stiff, a bit heavy footed and not all that fast -> TJ Duckett the second.

Work ethic problems maybe?

Last edited:
Lets not forget either, that Lendale White turned up to the Rose Bowl game heavier than at Christmas. His reason? Having eaten a lot at Christmas.

Two things bug me.

1) You're preparing for the biggest game of your life (granted he's somewhat spoilt by winning a previous national championship game) and you let yourself get out of shape. How would we feel about Corey putting on a few pounds over Christmas because he 'ate too much' with a game against the Colts a week or two away?

2) The way it was reported, it sounded like he had no problems with being a bit out of weight. If some of the other reports (his indignance about not running, about being 'the man' on draft day) are true, then we're starting to get a good view of his character. Maybe Carroll was a bit soft for a guy like Lendale. It'd be good to see a Coughlin/Parcells type coach get him and give him a hard time in the pros.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots