PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Len P with insight on Pats Plan

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhamz

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Insider article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2391669

Not exactly shocking stuff but he did at least talk to a Pats official and get a quote (although anonymous) which is light years ahead of anything the local media has accomplished this off-season.

"one high-ranking Pats officials noted this week that the team does have a plan for investing those cap funds, and that one element of it is an attempt to sign defensive lineman Richard Seymour and wide receiver Deion Branch to long-term contract extensions.

"It's going to cost a lot of money to do those two things," said the official. "And I don't know that we'll get it done. But I know this: We have to plan as if we'll get extensions finished with those two, and we have to have the money set aside, because it's going to be expensive."

Last edited:
To me, it is just confirmation of what many were saying thinking..so??? Good that LenP actually talked with someone...I would ignore the clowns here for the most part (Reiss, Curran oF COURSE)...

I think when those extensions are completed people will back off the Pats b/c both deals will take a good deal of money. Just think, this year combined they are about $5.5 million against the cap - well if the WR deals made this offseason are any indication, this will be Branch's cap hit ALONE (if not more). Then look at the money Seymour is going to get, I'd imagine in the neighborhood of a $10 million cap hit. So essentially we have to spend $10 million more against the cap for 2 players we already have (I'm not a cap-ologist but you see the point). This is why we can't give Vinatieri, Givens or McGinest their sweet deals or attract any high-dollar FA's. Priorities first.

everyone is forgetting Koppen.. he is a FA next year too.. i hope we can lock him up as well..

dhamz said:
Insider article:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insider/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=2391669

Not exactly shocking stuff but he did at least talk to a Pats official and get a quote (although anonymous) which is light years ahead of anything the local media has accomplished this off-season.

"one high-ranking Pats officials noted this week that the team does have a plan for investing those cap funds, and that one element of it is an attempt to sign defensive lineman Richard Seymour and wide receiver Deion Branch to long-term contract extensions.

"It's going to cost a lot of money to do those two things," said the official. "And I don't know that we'll get it done. But I know this: We have to plan as if we'll get extensions finished with those two, and we have to have the money set aside, because it's going to be expensive."

People in the local media try to talk to the Pats all the time, they just don't talk. As far as "high ranking Pats official," that can mean a a lot of different things. We all know the Pats, they aren't going to tell people what they're up to which makes me suspicious of his anynomous source. I wouldn't kill the local writers because no one gets anything out of that team unless they want it out. That's how they run things.

Chris said:
everyone is forgetting Koppen.. he is a FA next year too.. i hope we can lock him up as well..

AND graham

AND assante

AND gay

i knew about koppen, graham, and assante, but i totally forgot that gay would be a fa

i dont see us letting both gay and assant hittin fa

Chris said:
I remember hearing he wanted to go to Philly?

Interesting the Pat's favored Pasquarelli, admittedly a class act, with their response to fans, and probably players, that the Pat's are putting aside some of their free cap space. There's also a big hint to Seymour and Branch!

Confirming a comment above, I wouldn't assume anything coming "anonymously" from the Pat's organization isn't leaked intentionally, and is probably pre-approved by Belichick or the Kraft's.

Last edited:
patsfan55 said:
i knew about koppen, graham, and assante, but i totally forgot that gay would be a fa
Gay will only be a RFA next year, so he'll be pretty easy to keep, so long as we slap the mid-level tender on him..

patsfan55 said:
AND graham

AND assante

AND gay

i dont see us letting both gay and assant hittin fa

I think Koppen, Samuel, and Gay will be signed for relatively cheap money. I think the Pats will lose Graham with the emergence of Watson coupled with the $$ Graham will be wanting.

I've said repeatedly that the Pats are targeting Seymour & Branch. Whether Big Sey's money ego is small enough for a Miguel style proposal is an open question. I agree with those who say we'll know in July. If Sey reports it's a leading indicator that the deal happens in august. If he stays out... he's gone.

Asante and Gay are the next priorities.

Koppen wants big bucks and that does NOT fit with the Pats OL plans. Color him gone to Pittsburgh where he wants to play.

Graham may also go as BB figures he can/will draft another big TE. Graham is a good guy but slightly wanting on the smarts. I'd like to see him stay but unless something bad happens with Watson, Graham leaves for moderately big $.

First things first. Take care of the Sey and Branch situations now. Then see what we have left to take care of the others. We may want to take care of them before next seasons FA period.

I don't blame the team for waiting on Koppen. Let's see how he comes back from his injury first. Draft Ross of BC in the later rounds as insurance.

PatsWickedPissah said:
Koppen wants big bucks and that does NOT fit with the Pats OL plans. Color him gone to Pittsburgh where he wants to play.

ive been thinking about this and have wondered if we might take nick mangold at 21

patsfan55 said:
ive been thinking about this and have wondered if we might take nick mangold at 21
I wouldn't rule it out but unless they don't think Koppen will be 100% in 2006, this seems like overkill. I would expect a C or G/C late day 1, early day 2, quite possibly Ryan Cook of New Mexico, a rare C/T.

Yeah I know...

BelichickFan said:
I wouldn't rule it out but unless they don't think Koppen will be 100% in 2006, this seems like overkill. I would expect a C or G/C late day 1, early day 2, quite possibly Ryan Cook of New Mexico, a rare C/T.
I've been interested in this cook character because of his weird C/OT position flexibility. Is he good enough to start at C in the NFL? I dunno. Koppen was and he had no position flexibility. PLus Cook is a NM hommie .

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes