PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Len P. on Espn Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

R_T26

Banned
Reaction score
can't officially sign the deal untill August, believes he will be one of the highest paid, if not the highest paid D Lineman in the NFL.

Did the host ask what is preventing the Pats from releasing Seymour one minute and signing him to this extension the next minute??

Miguel said:
Did the host ask what is preventing the Pats from releasing Seymour one minute and signing him to this extension the next minute??

The host was Felger, and the answer is no he did not ask that question. But its a 4 year deal until 2010 so wouldnt that mean he's still plying under the same contract this year.

He would an unrestricted free agent. Able to negotiate with any
team. If you think the Hutchinson contract was a poison pill, I can
only imagine what someone would hatch for Seymour.

R_T26 said:
can't officially sign the deal untill August

That's correct ONLY if his compensation in 2006 increases. But if, for example, they left his 2006 salary the same but gave him a $20 million roster bonus in 2007 as part of an $8 million-per-season deal for 2007 through 2010, he could sign it today.

AdamJT13 said:
That's correct ONLY if his compensation in 2006 increases. But if, for example, they left his 2006 salary the same but gave him a $20 million roster bonus in 2007 as part of an $8 million-per-season deal for 2007 through 2010, he could sign it today.

Right. I've never understood all this hand-wringing over the CBA rules on renegotiations. Seymour would rather get any new money in 2006 as a signing bonus anyway. The rule every has been citing only covers "salary".

hwc said:
Right. I've never understood all this hand-wringing over the CBA rules on renegotiations. Seymour would rather get any new money in 2006 as a signing bonus anyway. The rule every has been citing only covers "salary".

In the CBA, "salary" also refers to bonuses.

My point was that it prohibits increasing the "salary" (including bonuses) during the original terms of the contract. Seymour's contract ended after the 2006 season, so he could agree to an increase for 2007 and beyond. So the Patriots could have offered him an extension with a huge, protected roster bonus in 2007, and he could sign it right now. After the restriction runs out, the Pats could convert that roster bonus to give him the money and absorb some of the cap hit in 2006.

That is an odd signing if true what if he backs out?? Till you have the sig in Ink it dont count. I hope they have covered themselves.

Len P. said his agent Eugene Parker is a very creative and stand up agent, he wont back out, the contract had already been sent to the league for approval.

I find it very difficult to believe that people as sharp as Pioli, Seymour, and Seymour agent can't figure out a mechanism to put a multi-million check in a player's bank account!

As Adam says, just make it a roster bonus payable Sept 1, voiding the final year of Seymour's old contract if it's not paid. Working around the legalese of the CBA is really not rocket science.

It's been sent to the league office, I bet they find a way to make it official. The Krafts are big boys with the commish, they'll find a loophole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes