PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lelie Close to Being Traded

Status
Not open for further replies.

BelichickFan

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
I almost put OT, but Adam Shefter (who has good sources with the Broncos) says Lelie is close to being traded within the next week in a 3 way deal for a TE.

I imagine the Patriots won't be involved but we have been linked to Lelie, maybe just because we need a WR, and possible trades of Graham have been mentioned since before the draft.

I doubt we want Lelie as he thinks he's a #1 WR (I can't see any team going there) and Thomas is a rookie and Mills likely not a real TE.

But it's interesting.

I wonder if it's 2 way...who the teams will be...NR would be closer in a trade direct NOT a 2 way trade..

I don't believe that the Pats would trade Daniel Graham and go with 2 rookies behind Watson at TE. Doesn't make sense. Especially with how Watson hasn't proven that HE can stay on the field.

DaBruinz said:
I don't believe that the Pats would trade Daniel Graham and go with 2 rookies behind Watson at TE. Doesn't make sense. Especially with how Watson hasn't proven that HE can stay on the field.
I agree, this just caught my attention as both pieces (Lelie and trading Graham) have been linked to the Patriots at one point.

DaBruinz said:

One has to question how highly Graham is valued by the team if, as according to some reports, the team does not intend to re-sign him past his current contract.

As much as I like Graham's blocking ability, that doesn't appear to be enough to have him stay on the team long term - and indeed, in critical goal line situations BB often inserts defensive players for blocking - even pass catching purposes! (And what does that tell you when Mike Vrabel had as many TD catches as Daniel Graham did last year!)

So if BB seems comfortable with other players in TE blocking situations, and Graham's offensive stats are easily replaced (matched by Vrabel in goal line situations) why is it so out of the question that they would trade Graham, who likely won't be here next season, for a veteran position player who could contribute long term?

I'm not saying Lelie's my 1st choice but I just don't under stand the "it will never happen" sentiment to trading Daniel Graham. If he were that essential why is it generally accepted he'll be let go after this season?

Last edited:
Graham for Lelie is not good value at all for the Patriots. Lelie has done nothing, Graham is the best blocking TE in the game as well as a one man wrecking crew if he gets the ball in the open field.

I also agree Graham > Lelie, so if this trade goes down I'd like to pick up some draft picks as well.

I doubt it's us but he did say it was a 3 way for a TE not a 2 way indicating the two teams don't match up talent wise and need a third team with a need or a player to swap to make it work. And given the current situation with Lelie in Denver it won't be a starter at any position in the 3 way it will be somebody elses problematic 2nd or 3rd string (fill in position) player and/or draft choice getting swapped.

If Graham can't be re-signed here he will go - but not until next March or April as a tag and trade.

mcdonut16 said:
Graham for Lelie is not good value at all for the Patriots.
Supposedly it's a 3 way deal so if we're involved it wouldn't be both ends.

BelichickFan said:

Do you mean we are the team not giving up the TE but another player so we can Lelie? That is interesting.. But I would find it hard to believe in general that a Pats and Denver deal would go down.
Just rubs me the wrong way.. These two teams are competing against one another and by adding fuel to the fire with a trade could hurt a team down the road (their image could be tarnished)..

re

mcsully said:
Do you mean we are the team not giving up the TE but another player so we can Lelie? That is interesting.. But I would find it hard to believe in general that a Pats and Denver deal would go down.
Just rubs me the wrong way.. These two teams are competing against one another and by adding fuel to the fire with a trade could hurt a team down the road (their image could be tarnished)..

Well, the Pats did trade Drew Bledsoe to the AFC East Bills.

maverick4 said:
Well, the Pats did trade Drew Bledsoe to the AFC East Bills.

You are absolutely correct but BB had his number and felt it was the only way to get a #1..

Didn't Graham's father play for Denver??? Isn't Graham from Colorado????

Ochmed Jones said:
Didn't Graham's father play for Denver??? Isn't Graham from Colorado????

And where did Graham play college ball?

But of course everyone has decided that this would "never" happen and Graham would "never" be traded period... so they must know what they are talking about.

No use discussing it anymore.

Last edited:
BelichickFan said:

Right... either we're giving up a TE and getting an unknown player, or trading an unknown player and getting Lelie in the hypothetical 3 way trade... not Lelie for Graham straight up

JoeSixPat said:
And where did Graham play college ball?

But of course everyone has decided that this would "never" happen and Graham would "never" be traded period... so they must know what they are talking about.

No use discussing it anymore.

JSP -
By your logic, the Pats should trade Graham to Denver and short themselves out of one of the best (if not the BEST) blocking TE in the league who also happens to have hands as good as Antonio Gates (according to the %'s). And that would leave the Pats with only 2 TEs, one of them being a rookie.

Please explain to me how that makes ANY sense.

DaBruinz said:
Yeah, he missed a game last year. Only played in 15 (plus payoffs). What's up with that?

spacecrime said:
Yeah, he missed a game last year. Only played in 15 (plus payoffs). What's up with that?

Yep, so he's missed 20 games of a possible 38. That's 6 more games than Graham has missed in his 4 seasons. Yet, Graham is injury prone. Go Figure.

i definatley dont see it happening

#1 We need to deal with Branch's contract..Lelie wants a new one himself
#2 Lelie wanted to be #1 WR in Denver..aint happening here when Branch is #1 and Chad Jackson/Caldwell will battle for #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes