Welcome to PatsFans.com

Legitimate Sources

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, Jun 18, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Okay...I'm curious. This is a political forum. We post things we see and comment on them, we offer commentary back based on other things we've read...but recently I've noticed a disturbing trend: if someone posts something, the immediate reaction is to blame the source. One poster even has a kind of a catch phrase about it "did you get that from little green footballs?"

Now, I don't know what can be done. At some point, shouldn't we be discussing the issues, and not turning every thread into a pissing contest over the source of the issues?

Or, failing that, could we maybe come to an agreement about what sources will be considered valid and which aren't?

Or something similar? I grow weary of having to justify every single story to the National Press Club gestapo.

Or do you guys enjoy that part too?

(and yes, I know I'm as guilty of it as almost anyone else, that's why I think I've got standing to mention it now and see if we can reach some kind of agreement).
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

The solution is to read the article and reply to the substance of what was written.
  3. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Most of us are quite reasonable in this regard, but if you cite something we are skeptical of, we will of course ask for proof. I would say the MSM is still better than blatantly political sites like Drudge, WorldNetDaily, HuffingtonPost, or RawStory. But, as a rule, if you post something from a source I'm skeptical of, I'll try to find out more on my own. If you simply say something, like someone today claimed more and more scientists are becoming global warming skeptics, without any evidence, I'll call you on it.

In general, though, I think there are accepted facts and what we debate is the meaning of these facts. For instance, we accept that the surge had an impact in Iraq, but we argue of the extent of its impact. We may argue over details if someone posts a story from an obscure site. For example, "Al Jazeera says things are worse in Iraq than ever" is not going to be terribly convincing.
  4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Al Jazeera is not an obscure site and it's way more reliable than any of the others you mentioned.
  5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Major newspapers and networks (abc, Fox, nbc, cnnn, etc.) are valid in my book. any little known politically aligned group is not acceptable...in my opinion.

If it is presented as major new here on this site, then it should be major news in/on one of these sources...i.e. headline, front page, top of the hour. I hate when I read the title of a new thread presented as "explosive" but when you do a search on the topic, you only find it on the obscure "New Christian Right-to-Legalize Marijuana" group lead by the team of Sean Hannity and Jesse Jackson
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  6. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

so they aren't politically aligned? I strongly disagree. And no, there are loads of very important stories than never end up there. In fact most of what does end up there is unimportant garbage.
  7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

It is anti-American those, but I suppose so are many of the posters here........ ummm, including the guy that indicates that AlJiz is legitimate.

Simple, if you know the source to be a biased news commentary site, like StinkProgress or HuffPo, Malkin, etc...... Just be upfront about it and state somewhere in the post that you acknowledge that its as much spin, as it is news.
  8. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Everything is spin but some of it is backed up and some isn't. Have you ever watched Al Jazeera or are you just parroting what you've been told to think as usual?

In every other country than this, Al Jazeera is a very credible and respected news source. That's why it's one of the largest in the world. And it's not anti-American, it's pro-arab. EXACTLY the same way that Fox, CNN etc. aren't inherently anti-arab, they're pro-U.S..
  9. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign On the Roster

Ratings:
    +306 / 3 / -13

Everything and everyone is politically aligned... but I'll ask God if he has the time to let us know what's true and what's a lie;) But he's kinda pissed at me right now.

We'll never agree on the sources but if something is major news, it will make the networks otherwise it's probably not major...MAJOR "OH MY GOD" news
  10. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

The thing Bushies hang their hat on is the one story out of 500 they can refute from an anti-Empire site like ThinkProgress.

It allows them, in their own self-rationalizing mind, to summarily ignore the other 499 unflattering stories just on face value. Regardless of the fact that they have nothing in their corner but ideology and subjective "context."

They can always point to a mistake in reporting (they all make them) on that one story, and pretend that the entirety of Think's or Truthout's work is "lies."

Ooops. Problem is, no one's buying it besides the 25-30 percenters themselves.
  11. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +170 / 4 / -4

Well, I only partially agree -- it's Arab MSM, nothing more -- but I wanted to use an example that the righties would certainly question. It's not the first site I would rely on if I was trying to convince the righties of something.
  12. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

Rich..... the guiltiest of the guilty jump in "offer an opinion" :singing:

There is NOTHING wrong with think progress, or Huff Po, Malkin or any of those BIASED news commentary sites. It's only when the end user tries to pass of THIER OPINIONS as mainstream vetted news stories that it becomes and issue. If you wanna reference them, just be upfront and let everyone know it's nothing more than a agenda driven OP-ED piece.

But I don't need to tell you about that do I press ;)
  13. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Okay--all good answers. I'm not sure I agree that if it's news on one site it should be news everywhere, as there's plenty of stuff the MSM doesn't want to cover for various reasons.

And a story from HuffPo or Thinkprogress or Little Green Footballs isn't necessarily wrong on it's face--but like we saw right away just in the story I posted about the weatherman, the immediate reaction from a certain poster was "well, he's been on Glenn Beck's show, so obviously he can't be trusted".

I also notice that alot of the left leaning sites that get posted never get the same scrutiny for some reason. I've never seen the moderates here refer to "thinkprogress" in the same way they make fun of LGF or Michelle Malkin.
  14. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

next time i offer a story from ThinkProgress, the forum will be watching for how quickly you completely ignore the specifics of their claim, and punt to your tired macro response of "StinkProgress lies, it's well documented"...

any time you wanna deal with facts, and attempt to "refute" the public record of endless fraud regarding your favorite pasttime -- the modern crusade -- i'll be right here... lie enabler...
  15. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +241 / 8 / -26

Here is a suggestion, set an example and don't do it.. quite simple, however very complex.
  16. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

DING DING DING DING!

We have bingo!

The guy who's most guilty of it tells me not to do it in my thread about legitimate sources.

LOL.