PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Legendary broadcaster Al Michaels arrested for DUI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Insanely low? I'd hate to read what you thought of Australia's 0.05 limit.

Yeah I did a little googling after typing that and saw how low it is in other countries. Never really paid attention since I haven't driven over seas. Have to remember I live in a city with drive through daquari shops :D

Armchair Quarterback said:
An occasional thread about the actual sport of football every now and then would be nice. Or has this sight has turned into a full on gossip column?

AQ - I understand that you have issues, but is it really necessary to subject everyone to your incessant whining? It is not GOSSIP to talk about Al Michaels getting arrested for a DUI. Al Michaels has been the face of Monday Night Football for 2 some Decades. Yes, he does other sports as well, but it's not like we're talking about Kim Kardashian or Brittany Spears.

A good defense lawyer will get this thrown out due to the inaccuracies of the machine. But, the point is, never blow, never do field sobriety, even if you think you're ok.

Here is what one lawyer site says:

http://www.drunkdrivinglawyers.com/...breathalyzer-refusal-is-handled-in-california

You have the right to refuse a pre-arrest breathalyzer test. There are many reasons to refuse to take the breathalyzer test. For example, you may feel that you are not intoxicated and the test will result in a false positive. However, California has an implied consent law that requires you to submit to blood or breathalyzer testing once you are in custody. The reasoning of the law focuses on the theory that driving is a privilege and by applying for and obtaining a drivers license, you are consenting to further testing once arrested. Until you are under arrest and in police custody, you can refuse to take the breathalyzer test.

Once you are under arrest, you may still refuse to submit to a breathalyzer test, but you will face harsh penalties because of the implied consent law discussed above. In California, the arresting officer has a duty to inform you about your obligation to take the test and give you the option to take a blood, or urine test instead of a breathalyzer test. Additionally, the officer should warn you of possible consequences of refusing the test. For example, if it is your first DUI offense, you may face 48 hours of jail time and suspension of your driver license for one year for refusing to submit to a breathalyzer test.

and another word or two of advice for everyone...

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Dead

sung by Stanley Matis.....

The Dead Guy.mov - YouTube

Correct, it is at and minutely above an arbitrarily low limit.

Honestly P.J., you think you could drive well at .08? That is legitimately drunk.

I'm excusing it. It's like a couple beers. I practically blow that during my morning commute.

Maybe rinse your mouth with water after the post-breakfast Listerine, Buddy.:D

well, I don't want to seem like a scofflaw but last week I got stopped by a cop an he treated me pretty rough...yeah , he got real mad because I protested the stop.....occifer..occifer...me am NOT ineliatedterated!.....but, anyway,he took me in for a test anyway...and when they checked my alcohol they found it contained 2% blood!..
Rimshot.gif

well, I don't want to seem like a scofflaw but last week I got stopped by a cop an he treated me pretty rough...yeah , he got real mad because I protested the stop.....occifer..occifer...me am NOT ineliatedterated!.....but, anyway,he took me in for a test anyway...and when they checked my alcohol they found it contained 2% blood!..
Rimshot.gif

Henny? Henny Youngman? I thought you were dead!

nope..actually...I'm Rupert Pupkin....

rupert-pupkin-basement1.jpg

According to this it isn't just a couple beers:

BAC Charts Blood Alcohol Calculator

No idea how big Al Michaels is, but if this chart is accurate, and he's a decent sized guy (180-200), it would mean several beers over just an hour or 2.

(btw, I also read that he performed poorly on field sobriety tests. In my youth, I twice had to do those -- once I was driving and shouldn't have been, the other, believe it or now, I was walking (and drunk -- I was an underaged college student). Both times, I passed easily and didn't wind up being tested further.)

Very helpful info. The BAC chart and the page advising how to manage drinking.

Honestly P.J., you think you could drive well at .08? That is legitimately drunk.

Yes. I drink alot and can handle my booze and I'm sure I could drive just fine at 0.08. I could certainly pass a field sobriety test at that level.

I'm sure not everyone can and I'm not endorsing anything but I'm sure of myself.

The fact that Michaels failed the field sobriety test is surprising. I agree that he shouldn't drive if he can't pass that.

this made me laugh when i first heard the news. what a dope. i think al has been anti bellichick patriot for a long time. some humble pie will do him good.

My guess is that at .08 and even higher, you can drive OK, especially if there aren't a lot of cars on the road.

BUT that's just in terms of maneuvering your car to where you're going. I also think that if anything even vaguely unexpected occurs, you're going to be useless, and either react late, overreact or, most likely, both.

And that, of course, is only if you're actively trying to drive safely. There's also a decent chance that because you're drunk you won't be thinking at all and will be flying down the road. And at that point you'll be a menace to everybody, including yourself.

You would think they could afford a cab....

AQ - I understand that you have issues, but is it really necessary to subject everyone to your incessant whining? It is not GOSSIP to talk about Al Michaels getting arrested for a DUI. Al Michaels has been the face of Monday Night Football for 2 some Decades. Yes, he does other sports as well, but it's not like we're talking about Kim Kardashian or Brittany Spears.

Rrrright, I'm the one with issues. Not you - you're perfectly stable.

Drunk driving, driving beyond your quick reaction limits, is irresponsible. Just wish everyone realized that interacting with hand held cellphones, especially texting is worse than at the limit .08 driving. Also, I'm worried that my exotic digital map and control system display is set too low below the dashboard (far from heads up) that it presents serious distraction.

Drunk driving, driving beyond your quick reaction limits, is irresponsible. Just wish everyone realized that interacting with hand held cellphones, especially texting is worse than at the limit .08 driving. Also, I'm worried that my exotic digital map and control system display is set too low below the dashboard (far from heads up) that it presents serious distraction.

getting OT, but I'm skeptical of some of this -- depends on what you mean by "interacting," but I don't think talking on a cell is worse than driving drunk. (Looking down at your phone, dialing, certainly texting, etc. -- I agree -- there's no safe way to look down at your phone and text.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back