Welcome to PatsFans.com

Legalizing the Illegals??

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by mikey, Apr 11, 2006.

1. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

We have immigration laws and immigration systems that allow foreigners to come to this country and become citizens.

There are now thousands of foreigners waiting in line to obtain their legal residency to live America. Many have waited years and spent thousands of dollars on immigration lawyers.

The ILLEGALS, on the other hand, have made a mockery of our immigation laws and now have the chutzpah to demand (demand!) citizenship from the US government.

Would legalizing the illegals invite more future illegals to enter the country since they know the government would capitulate and give them residency?

Do illegals help or hurt employment opportunities to Americans (whites and blacks)?

Do you agree with Dubia Bush that would we should legalize the illegals?

2. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Mikey, great point.

I'm all for immigrants coming to this country to make a better life for themselves and their families as well as adding to America's diversity and contributing to our economy. Provided they do it LEGALLY and go through all the proper channels.

Illegals I dont believe either help nor hurt employment opportunities for Americans but I do believe the benefits that we gain from their work (cheap labor etc..) is offset by the tax dollars that subsidize their schooling and medical care.

I disagree with Bush and feel that those who "skipped the line" should not be rewarded with instant amnesty or whatever plan he's offering. They need to go to the back of the line and wait their turn like everyone else.

I havent even touched upon the National Security risk that the flow of illegals streaming across our borders poses.
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +444 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

We need to kick as many of the illegals out as we can, build an impenetrable wall and then let immigrants in as we choose to, under our terms. A lot of people seem to be forgetting what breaking the law means.
  4. milwaukeebeers44

milwaukeebeers44 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I'd like to see a group of 25 million (or whatever the current estimate is) of Americans go into another country and demand citizenship. That would go over like a bag of flaming poo.

Yes, even the illegals have basic human rights, but they do not have the inherent right to violate the laws of this country!

I don't think that its feasible to deport 25 million people, but it would be nice to get all of those out that we can get out, and tell them that if they want to return, they have to go through the visa/green card process like everyone else. Hell, even make incentives for employers of these people so that they can get help going through the process. I have no problem with people who want to be honest and take the steps to become an American citizen.

Obviously, the entire immigration system needs reform, but that's been the case for awhile now. Somehow, this country handled it when people were coming over from Europe through Ellis Island. . .

I think Bush's bandaid is going to cause an even bigger problem. If his little program passes, there will be an enormous flood into the country through our swiss cheese borders.

It's mind boggling to me that we even have to discuss this. Especially considering the security risk. But in a few short years, the Hispanic residents (legal and illegal) will become the majority population in America, and the Repubs and Dems alike are just trying to get a majority vote.
  5. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I wonder if Mexico's SOUTHERN border is as porous as their northern.

Probably not.
  6. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

It's to late, they have invaded, they are here and most of the blame lies with GW Bush, I am a Neo Con, BUSH IS WRONG, why isn't The Uncle Teddy Gang going after Bush on the Illegal Aliens, they sure did a number on him with the "dog leash" and "Cheney's hunting trip" are those more important than the "Illegal Alien Invasion" or is because the Uncle Teddy Gang agrees with Bush but don't dare say what a "GREAT JOB" Bush is doing with the Illegal Aliens. Hypocrit B astards.

We have been invaded by criminals, the president and most of Washington has done nothing to stop it, SO LIVE WITH IT.

I Hope they set some of their trailer parks up in Beverly Hills and Hollywood, they would Love Hyannis and Old Cape Cod's seabreeze, they could have cookouts on the beach and watch Uncle Teddy fall out of his boat.

What are the poor Mexican's that are waiting to enter legally going to do?
  7. Chevy

Chevy Rookie

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0

Unless you are born a citizen of the US, you do not have the right to live here.

Unless you are born a citizen of the US, you do not have the right to work here.

Unless you are born a citizen of the US, you do not have the right to be educated here.

Unless you are born a citizen of the US, you do not have the right to even be here.

----------------------------------

Oh, on the issue of pride in one's heritage:

If you sneak into the US, or emigrate legally, and fight to stay here, obviously it is because your home has nothing to offer - no future, no chance for success, no real life for your children. This being true, what the hell is there to be proud of in your heritage!

Be proud to be American (or striving to be an American). Not "Displaced Mexican", not "African-American". American. That's your heritage, that's your history, that's your future. If you need to hyphenate your citezenship, then the only one that is acceptable is "Former-American".
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +566 / 2 / -9

When I watched that crowd on TV I wondered what kind of a "Rotten Sh!t Infested Garbage Dump Cesspool Corrupt Country" Mexico must be for all the millions of people that have broken the law and become criminals just to get out of the Filthy Country.

Why in the name of God would they wave the Mexican Flag, a Flag that represents the "hell hole" they are trying to escape from.

What a disgraceful place Mexico must be, millions want to leave, they should be burning the Mexican Flag, not Waving it.
  9. Turd Furguson

Turd Furguson Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Because in 30 years, that will be a semblance of our flag here in the country of North Mexico.
  10. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Heh, I'll step back from politics here and answer you on a personal level. I came here from Ukraine, which was still part of the USSR when I left. I was young, and I consider myself American. I'm far from proud of Russia or the former USSR, but I do still take some pride in being Ukranian. This is despite the hellhole it was, and despite having almost no contact with Ukranian culture for a long, long time. I feel the same way about being Jewish. Though I'm not a practicing Jew, and in fact I've rejected organized religeon, I still have pride in my roots.

No matter how bad a country is, people will honor it in their minds because it's the land of their father and mother, where all their early memories were recorded. They'll always remember the good things about it. By waving their flags they're not disrespecting America - they already voted with their feet for which country they like better - they're waving their flags to show their support for one another.
  11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +444 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Bull. I lived in England until I was 12 but you don't see me waving a f*cking Union Jack.
  12. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

12? Of course you wouldn't... you're completely American. You have something better. You grew up here, went to school here, and you've been accepted by society and have all the benefits of that. Likewise, I don't own a Ukranian flag.

My grandparents on the other hand (who are US citizens by the way - their barrier to America is language rather than lack of official acceptance) are a lot mroe in tune with being Russian and Ukranian than I am.

You don't turn someone into an American overnight by giving them the stars and stripes to wave around. These people aren't going to be "American" until America accepts them. There may be very practical reasons why America cannot, but I'm just talking about human nature and belonging, and trying to explain that they don't mean any harm, insult, or disrespect by waving their flags.
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +444 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

You may hang onto some of the cultural stuff. My parents were, what, 40-45 when they came over and they still eat their English stuff and have pictures etc. But they have an American flag not an English one.

A little of the old culture is one thing - a different country's flag is fighting words to me. And they lived in England from birth to their 40s.
  14. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well maybe it's fighting words to you, but do you really think these people mean it as fighting words? What if they're just a little misguided? Doesn't their actual intent matter?
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +444 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I don't know what they mean but if you're living here you should have enough pride in this country to fly it's flag. If not you don't deserve the time of day and you don't deserve to be in this country.
  16. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Well, that's petty. They could be very good people who would be the first to fight for America if they could, but are ignorant of proper "flag waving protocol". I've explained where I think their sentiments come from, and it's nowhere bad. I hope you can forgive people for ignorant indescretions and faux passes where there's no bad intent.

Again, nothing in what I've said makes an argument for legal or political recognition, I'm just talking about not disliking them for waving a silly flag.
  17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +444 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Waving a flag says "this is my country" and you shouldn't say this (non American country) is my country in the U.S.
  18. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Whatever, if you want to dislike someone you'll always find a reason. Life's too short to find bad intent where none exists.
  19. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Ever been to a St. Paddy's Day parade?
    What do you think of the rebel stars 'n' bars?
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2006
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +444 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

Nope.
    Never been to a place with them.