Welcome to PatsFans.com

Legalize It For God Sake

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Harry Boy, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

The hell with Obama & Romney, this is more intereasting, it seems as though the American people are finally coming to their senses about Marijuana, read the comments to this story, why are the Friggin Fools we elecct to run this country still keeping this stuff illegal, there has to be a reason, this war on drugs is a JOKE, little kids can buy this stuff on every steet corner in the country.
    Your own kids probably have some stashed in their school locker.

DRUG DEALERS LOVE OUR FILTHY ROTTEN POLITICIANS

THE PEOPLE YOU SAW YELLING AND GIVING THEIR SILLY SPEECHES AT BOTH OF THESE CONVENTIONS ARE THE SCUM OF THE EARTH, DIRTY SELF SERVING SWINE.

Maine drug agents seize $275,000 worth of marijuana | The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2012
  2. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

Gary Johnson 2012 FTW
  3. chicowalker

chicowalker Rookie

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0

People talk about lobbyists, big pharma and alcohol being the problem, but I think the real issue continues to be ignorance -- like many issues, a lot of Americans have opinions on pot that simply aren't backed by facts. That's less the case now than it 30 years ago, but I think it's still the case.

The other thing I think exists w/regard to the issue are a lot of contradictions within people's views -- lot of people who claim they are for "small government" nevertheless think pot and other drugs should be illegal, and worse, often they're fine with booze being legal.
  4. Drewski

Drewski Rookie

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -1

#87 Jersey

Very true Chico - its a perception vs reality thing. The health side of the argument is bunk as long as tobacco and alcohol; two substances that are way more dangerous, are legal.

I'm figuring about 15 or so years and we will see and honest, fact based debate and maybe some actual movement on this topic. We are getting there slowly for sure.

I just find it odd that legalizing and taxing it would make both sides happy; if you tax it you increase revenue, and the left could offer more services with that revenue. For the traditional "rightists" you could keep income tax low and the government out of adult's lives, yet seemingly it isnt a discussion either side is willing to have. I mean Mittens is flat out against it, even for medicinal use. And "Obama" has the feds superseding state laws and busting up dispensaries and growers in states (such as CA) who have state laws allowing it.

It's an untapped revenue stream at a point in time we could really use one...I dont get it.
  5. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -5

Harry Likes This.
  6. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

I have been in favor of legalizing the possession of marijuana by individuals over the age of 18 for personal use since before it was popular to hold that position. Making it available under the same or similar conditions as alcohol or tobacco makes eminent sense to me.

The main opposition to legalization (aside from politicians who are afraid of the "Just Say No" crowd) is now, however, coming from two places.

1) Municipalities are afraid of losing the revenue from the fines imposed for possession. Unless they benefit from a state tax on Pot in some way, they will lose a lot of money. For example, in the case of cigarettes, currently, in addition to the Federal Excise Tax ($1.01 per pack), every state has a state tax (ranging from $0.17 in Missouri to $4.25 in New York) but relatively few municipalities actually tax cigarettes. So, a lot of cities and towns will have a net loss of revenue if they can't find a way to impose a tax on marijuana, when they are already nearly bankrupt, if the possession of pot by individuals for personal use becomes legal.

2) The biggest opposition by far comes from the State and Federal Correctional Workers Unions. While relatively few people are incarcerated solely for Marijuana possession, large numbers are in prison for distribution and sale of the substance. The Correction Workers see the legalization of pot as a major threat to their livelihoods, pensions and benefits; they also see it as the beginning of a "slippery slope" towards greater emphasis on treatment programs that would further reduce the prison population.

So, if you want to see the sensible thing done and the legalization of marijuana occur, I suggest you support a group that is working for the cause. They need your help.
  7. PatsFanSince74

PatsFanSince74 PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

You'd think, but see my comment above. Municipalities, which rarely tax cigarettes, rely on fines from pot possession busts for a big chunk of revenue. So, unless state taxes find their way to towns and cities or towns and cities can enact their own taxes on Marijuana, legalizing pot would mean a drop in their revenue when they are having trouble meeting their obligations to their workers and their pensions.

The big issue is the opposition from Corrections Workers unions, which are very powerful and affiliated with SEIU. I go into it in my longer comment.
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012