PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Legal Tampering Period

Status
Not open for further replies.

ralmat55

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Officially, free agency doesn't start until next Tuesday, but am I alone in thinking the new Legal Tampering period will work much like the NBA's 7/1- 7/15 period where deals are reached but not made effective until 7/15.

Of course, there are rules such as players not being able to directly talk with teams and players not being able to visit teams, but 90% of all this is all about the numbers and with numbers being exchanged deals are going to be made even though they can't become official until Tuesday.

So, unofficially, the fun begins tonight.

Officially, free agency doesn't start until next Tuesday, but am I alone in thinking the new Legal Tampering period will work much like the NBA's 7/1- 7/15 period where deals are reached but not made effective until 7/15.

Of course, there are rules such as players not being able to directly talk with teams and players not being able to visit teams, but 90% of all this is all about the numbers and with numbers being exchanged deals are going to be made even though they can't become official until Tuesday.

So, unofficially, the fun begins tonight.

I'm assuming (edit: hoping) that we get plenty of juicy leaks during this tampering period to keep our interest before next week.

Considering that before there was a legal tampering period major deals were reached and signed within the first few hours of free agency, I am sure deals will be reached over this weekend and up to the start of the actual free agency.

Most of the big time free agent deals are negotiated at the Scouting Combines.

I think it will very obviously work very similar to the NBA signing period. I also think this being the first time this is being implemented in the NFL there is potential for some real craziness of the next few days with some teams probably thinking thay can mess around with guys. Lets assume we come to preliminary agreement with player X but since we cant make it official why wouldn't the Jets just to mess with us call up and offer twice as much? I guess you could say they wouldn't want to jerk around the player and agent but still the possibilty remains. I am sure there are other things that the GMs can come up with to take advantage of this period a la the poisin pills and other shady things that these guys have come up with in the past.

If youi don't think agents have been talking to teams already, you are naive. There is no way that complex, big money deals that are inches thick get done in a few hours, do you? All the deals that will be signed in the first few days of fA were discussed well in advance of any "Tampering Period" I know it. You know it. And the league sure knows about it. Clearly its cheating. Clearly its gives some teams unfair advantages. But clearly its a kind of cheating that no one really cares about. What hypocrisy!

BTW- it you are waiting with bated breath for the Pats to move early, they you are likely to be very disappointed. In the past 13 years, they have done exactly 2 big FA deals early. This is a big FA class with lots of starting level players. Patience will be rewarded, even though the media pukes will be calling for "immediate action", and decrying any delay.

If youi don't think agents have been talking to teams already, you are naive. There is no way that complex, big money deals that are inches thick get done in a few hours, do you? All the deals that will be signed in the first few days of fA were discussed well in advance of any "Tampering Period" I know it. You know it. And the league sure knows about it. Clearly its cheating. Clearly its gives some teams unfair advantages. But clearly its a kind of cheating that no one really cares about. What hypocrisy!

BTW- it you are waiting with bated breath for the Pats to move early, they you are likely to be very disappointed. In the past 13 years, they have done exactly 2 big FA deals early. This is a big FA class with lots of starting level players. Patience will be rewarded, even though the media pukes will be calling for "immediate action", and decrying any delay.

I agree with almost everything you said except that reason being the contracts are inches thick doesnt seem right to me. Two reasons one I would imagine most contracts are very similar and that front offices probably have cookie cutter offers or just basic contract templates. Second reason being these agreements are usually in principle with the large and important figures decided but the inches of detail are likely hashed out after and occasionally deals fall through becuase they dont work out the details after the initial agreement.

Not just media pukes. This board will be going bonkers as some of the FAs are signed early, if NE takes a patient approach.

I agree the Pats will not move quickly signing outside players, but I hope they move decisively to retain some of their own free agents which is foremost in my mind at the moment. Welker, Vollmer and Talib are not 2nd wave free agents.

Not just media pukes. This board will be going bonkers as some of the FAs are signed early, if NE takes a patient approach.

NE's method is to allow the stupid teams to overpay and wait for 2nd tier free agents where they can get a bargain.

Here's why I think that perhaps only Welker would go in the first week from OUR big 3. Volmer comes with a serious injury situation and Talib has both injury and off field considerations. Neither are likely to be initial priorities for teams, given how deep the FA market is at the OT and CB positions

Besides if Talib has advisers worth having, he should be pressing the Pats for a deal because this is the best place for him to revive a shaky career to this point. I doubt the Pats will be willing to go long term or for big money, but they would give him a deal that will pay him well (4-5MM/yr) and build in the incentives that would reward good play and good citizenship that would make it worthwhile for him to stay.

Keeping Volmer is less of a necessity, but its the difference (at least at this point) of having an OL that would be both talented and deep, or an OL that is adequate and solid. I'm thinking Volmer is looking for something in the $8-9MM/yr range, and I'm thinking the Pats are thinking no more than $7MM - That's not a huge gap and the OT market is deep now and getting deeper with a lot of decent guys (like Sam Baker for example) who might not be quite as good as Volmer but will come for less money and not have the injury baggage. The OT market is going to be one, imo, that will see a bunch of disappointed players.
Welker is another story. But still, I have to wonder if there are teams who will be willing to play more than the $7-8MM that everyone thinks the Pats are offering. Remember there aren't a lot of teams that meet his other requirements as well. They have to be superbowl contenders with good QBs and have a lot of cap space and no other big money WRs. When you add those things the market shrinks.

People have mentioned Denver and Colts that are 2 teams that might fit that bill. Both are good fits football wise, but the Colts are already playing Reggie Wayne big money and I wonder if the Broncos want to play Welker over 10MM/yr when next season they will have to pay Thomas more than that and Decker a big pay increase as well, Again on the surface the gap doesn't seem that huge. Maybe as the market softens after the initial rush that gap will shrink even more.

Considering that before there was a legal tampering period major deals were reached and signed within the first few hours of free agency, I am sure deals will be reached over this weekend and up to the start of the actual free agency.

Most of the big time free agent deals are negotiated at the Scouting Combines.

I still think it helps for a more strategic free agency period - the three days is a good buffer time for teams and players to really consider all their options. With the flurry of midnight deals before, many were done in a vacuum without really knowing where player x, y, z etc were going and how it impacted the free agency dominos

I'm sure we will also hear plenty of rumors, from both teams and agents, but as with anything in the NFL, that doesn't mean anyone should believe it.

I agree the Pats will not move quickly signing outside players, but I hope they move decisively to retain some of their own free agents which is foremost in my mind at the moment. Welker, Vollmer and Talib are not 2nd wave free agents.

Me too. I am disappointed that they have not re-signed even one
of their eighteen free agents. After midnight, their players can start weighing other offers.
Don't bother burning the midnight oil to see a signing.

More importantly, our strategy is often to sign some of our own early.

NE's method is to allow the stupid teams to overpay and wait for 2nd tier free agents where they can get a bargain.

More importantly, our strategy is often to sign some of our own early.

Yessir, I'd have to say that has really been the only thing that has surprised me so far in the offseason, the fact that we haven't signed anyone of our own "lesser" free agents of importance. I would have expected at least one or two by now. That brings me to some possible thoughts on why this may be happening:

1. The new tampering period starting at midnight today may have thrown a slight wrench into the usual process, so they are dealing with the feelers of the market on our lesser guys such as Woodhead, Edelman, Arrington etc.

2. Belichick is betting on a certain movement that many teams will be cash/cap strapped, therefore he expects to be able to save a little money on some of our own.

Do either of these possibilities exist in your opinion?

Me too. I am disappointed that they have not re-signed even one
of their eighteen free agents. After midnight, their players can start weighing other offers.
Don't bother burning the midnight oil to see a signing.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on my previous post too, Jimke.

I guess the NFL issued a memo this afternoon reminding teams that they cannot come to any agreements in principle, which we all kind of expected. I suppose there will still be deals being done, but more on the hush. I'm expected some things to get leaked but I'm not expecting the hustle and bustle that many of us expected for players outside of our own team.

That said, we will still be able to come to terms with a couple/few of our own before Tuesday, so I'm hoping that's what happens after they get a feel for the tightened market.

Man, I wish teams could sign players starting now, that would make for a glorious weekend!

https://twitter.com/PFCentral
I have no idea how legitimate this site is, but they said that:
Cowobys, 49ers, and Browns have contacted Welker's agent
Patriots have a very good offer out for Welker
Welker needs to be blown away to consider other teams' offers
The Patriots have contacted the agents for Mike Wallace and Michael Turner
Several teams have called about Mallett but Belichick does not want to trade him

Wallace makes little sense and Turner makes even less, but I suppose it's some possibly true information rather than none at all.

Mallett part has been given other places earlier today. I think it might be saying Belichick doesn't want to let Mallett go as to not give up leverage.

Daniel Jeremiah:
Trying to understand this new FA period...No marriages allowed. Can you get engaged? Group date? Meet the parents? I'm lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots