Welcome to PatsFans.com

Left vs Right is a Factor of Time & Patience.

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by IcyPatriot, Jan 7, 2007.

1. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I'm thinking about the new Congress and Senate because it's been a while since the democrats had some power there. The democrats mainly took control due to some failed policies of Bush ... we all know this.

So ... I'm thinking what can the democrats do now to please the people vs what the right can or would have done to please the people with no George Bush.

My opinion is that it is much harder to be a good liberal than it is to be a good conservative. Their policies(ideas) take longer to implement than those of the right. Not saying one is better than the other here ... that distinction needs to be made in this thread ... I'm speaking of the theoretical differences and their difficulty in coming to fruition.

Things like health care, education, changes in the tax system ... all take longer ... and many times that is probably be better.

So, will Americans be patient and let them have a chance? This is where I think the right will spend $$$ to hammer home THE PERCEPTION that the democrats/left don't have a clue. If they successfully pull it off, the U.S. will be on a yoyo to nowhere.

IMO America needs to give the democrats a chance .. to be a good democrat means stability and patience ... think Clinton balancing the budget which was at least a 6-year plan.

If I were a democrat I would be working on that perception with Americans ... if we are to survive the next 20+ years we need to think responsibly and have patience. Our enemies; Iran, extremists have made a science out of provoking emotion from Americans to demand change at every turn .... that will weaken us. The people in this country need to put their divisions behind them and show good old fashioned support for their country ... anything else is just what the devil has ordered for us all.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  2. BruschiOnTap

BruschiOnTap On the Game Day Roster

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

you're absolutely right... being a good liberal these days is near impossible when a city is designed for gas-powered automobiles, not bicycles, and grocery stores are full of industrialized meat, not organic/free range. Not to mention little/no public transport, taxes being wasted on a futile war effort rather than those who truly need the money, high cost of implmenting alternate energy solutions (in spite of lower long-term costs)... being a good liberal is truly as simple as following Ben Franklin's financial advice but the infrastructure is set up to make this decidedly more difficult than it should be...

Also, Iran is not our enemy. They are mostly westernised and moderate. I have met many Iranians and they are not crazy Muslims, they are secular and believe most of their nation is as well... if they weren't 'dark of skin' they would never even receive any press coverage... instead they get negative covereage because their figurehead happens to be overpassionate in his anti-Americanism (though he is justified in some ways)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2007
  3. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,066 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

I made a friend a few years back that was a Pashtun from Afghanistan...wow, what an education. His father got him out of the country to save his life.

Regardless of the pictures painted by the media from their countries ... the ruling crazies are usually an extreme small minority. The population does what they have to do to survive.

I guess we could say that about our country also in a way ... our government doesn't always reflect the will of the people either. Our nation has always been way more war happy than it's citizens.

4. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +537 / 6 / -2

I don't think any rationale person ever points at the people, they know to point toward the country. When people say "Iran" and enemy in a sentence, they're not talking about Abdul the falafel vender, they're talking about the loons that run the government.