PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Left Tackle and Right Tackle

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with that proposal, that shoring up the interior line early (Unger, Wood) and getting a tackle prospect in the 3rd or 4th is a good idea. Of course, if they feel Beatty is too good of a prospect to pass up, then I'd be all for it. I certainly think there is good value in acquiring an interior guy that could start at 3 positions.

He's definitely in play, but with a multitude of picks in round 2 I think we'd be better served at getting the best OG in the draft.

Even if the 3 best OGs in the draft are all centers? All of Mack/Wood/Unger can probably play OG or convert there, but it hasn't been the primary position for any of them? And I can never understand the logic of prioritizing a guard over a tackle when both are needs. Tackles the more important position, and the harder one to fill.

It is unreasonable to take a tackle earlier just because tackles are more important that guards.

OUR SITUATION AT OT
Belichick may believe that we are fine at OT for the next two years. Kaczur is an RFA in an uncapped year. We have two capable starters and a decent swing backup in LeVioir. We even have two players who have started for us competing for the #4 position in Britt and O'Callaghan.

Belichick may see little need other than to bring in some youngsters to compete for one of the backup positions. There are many solid prospects from Round 3 onward.

My personal preference is to draft Britton if he is available at 23.

OUR SITUATION AT OG AND CENTER
Koppen will continue at center. Mankins is an RFA next year in an uncapped year, so he will likely stay. Neal will be a UFA with injury problems. Hochstein and Yates are signed each year as backups.

We have ZERO long term guards, no backups, no starters. This situation is much different than the situation at guard. That being said, offensive lineman can start for us as rookies (Mankins, Woody, Koppen, Light, Kaczur). IMHO, we need a bring in one top guard if we can. It would be plus if this guard is also a center, so that he can be the gameday backup for all the interior positions and be the backup center. All that is now Hochstein's role.

Even if the 3 best OGs in the draft are all centers? All of Mack/Wood/Unger can probably play OG or convert there, but it hasn't been the primary position for any of them? And I can never understand the logic of prioritizing a guard over a tackle when both are needs. Tackles the more important position, and the harder one to fill.

:)

I don't want an OT conversion at OG because I want the guard to be the gameday backup at LG. RG and C.

My current inclination is Britton and a DE at 23 and 34, but I don't expect this to happen. I will then want a DE and a LB.

I'm coming to the same conclusion IF we take an OT early -- Kaczur's a perfect swingman -- but I'm still not leaning that way at #23. Also, when you say "as far as drafting someone to play OG, I would draft an OG," it appears you mean "as far as drafting someone to play OG, I would draft a C." :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back