PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lee Smith and Alge Crumpler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unlikely due to the lockout. Meriweather's contract also doesn't expire until the end of the year. I like Ras-I Dowling's upside. But BB is likely to want to keep the experience in the secondary until Ras-I and the other younger members of the secondary are up to speed.

Another unlikely trade. BB wants to carry 3 QBs because that's the Pats normal QB depth. He feels like he's been 'getting away' with just 2 for the past couple of years. Now if the Pats plan to draft another backup QB in 2012, Hoyer is probably going to be trade bait leading up to or during the 2012 Draft.

It's nice to dream of draft picks, but the demand and the opportunity needs to be there as well. Unlike Kolb and Cassel who actually played some to increase their value, Hoyer hasn't seen any significant action so his trade value is more likely to be on the 3rd day rather than the 2nd day.

BOLD statement ^

100% disagree. Most teams would love a Pro-Ready QB. Hoyer is that guy and he continues to LEARN from the BEST.

you underestimate our chances:bricks:

go draft your college kid w/ no pro exp. :rollseyes:

Last edited:
BOLD statement ^

100% disagree. Most teams would love a Pro-Ready QB. Hoyer is that guy and he continues to LEARN from the BEST.

you underestimate our chances:bricks:

go draft your college kid w/ no pro exp. :rollseyes:

You make a good point, how are you guys not remembering Hoyer's perfect passer rating in all those games... :rolleyes:

And what you are saying about draft a college kid, you repeated the same post about signing Mallett to a long deal at least 5 times!

Last edited:
In all honesty, I believe that the move will actually backfire on them league. I think that we'll see injuries increase on kick-offs with the move to closer because players won't be as tired from running when they hit one another.

They're not even running a full 100 yards?!?! It's not a bunch of fat kids playing, they are athletes.

Gronkowski is the starting TE and Smith has the tools to move up.
BB loveing Crump has nothing to do with a bussiness decision. BB would never have waisted a 5th rd. pick to place a 4th TE on the roster with other needs, he drafted Smith who is a younger version of Crump to replace him and his 3 mill. total cap. BB loved Troy Brown but time came for him to go, He loves Faulk but it is his time to go, simerlarly it is Crumplers time to go.

Why is it Crumpler's time to go? Because you say so? In the case of Troy Brown, it was clear he wasn't the best option at receiver. Not sure that the same can be said for Faulk.

Crumpler played extremely well last year and there is no reason to cut him unless he get's beat out..

They're not even running a full 100 yards?!?! It's not a bunch of fat kids playing, they are athletes.

Then why would coaches make teams re-punt the ball??? Because they know the other team is winded from the sprint.

It doesn't matter that they are only running 40-50 yards.. They are doing it at a full sprint inside of football gear and then hitting each-other. If you think they don't start to tire out after 40 yards, you've clearly never seen them run a 40 yard dash at the combine..

Why is it Crumpler's time to go? Because you say so? In the case of Troy Brown, it was clear he wasn't the best option at receiver. Not sure that the same can be said for Faulk.

Crumpler played extremely well last year and there is no reason to cut him unless he get's beat out..

If you reread the post instead of getting defensive and acusatory you will see a number of reasons Crumpler will not make the team, so let me lay it out for you:
Gronkowski in 2010:
6'6" 265lb
42 catches 546 yds. 10 td's as a rookie starting behind Crumpler.
Hernandez in 2010:
6'1" 245 lb
45 catches 563 yds, 6td's as a rookie starting behind Crumpler.
Lee Smith in 2010:
6'6" 266 lb.
38 catches 358 yrds considered one of the best blocking TE's in the draft with soft hands.
Crumpler in 2010:
6'2" 275 lbs.
6 catches for 52 yds. 28 of which came on one play. 4 td's. started 10 game's played in 16.
Will be 34 yr. old this season, comeing off sholder surgery, and has a total cap hit of 3 million much more than all the others combined.

This was your opinion of playing extreamly well, the rookies barried him, and Smith will do the same. Your right he started 10 games and played in 16 and had the most oppurtunity to succede but could not. So he must stay because you say so or must go because the stats and the facts say it is time.

You can't use catches or yards to compare Crumpler's season to somebody else. He's arguably the best blocking TE in the NFL. They don't make a stat for that.

If you reread the post instead of getting defensive and acusatory you will see a number of reasons Crumpler will not make the team, so let me lay it out for you:
Gronkowski in 2010:
6'6" 265lb
42 catches 546 yds. 10 td's as a rookie starting behind Crumpler.
Hernandez in 2010:
6'1" 245 lb
45 catches 563 yds, 6td's as a rookie starting behind Crumpler.
Lee Smith in 2010:
6'6" 266 lb.
38 catches 358 yrds considered one of the best blocking TE's in the draft with soft hands.
Crumpler in 2010:
6'2" 275 lbs.
6 catches for 52 yds. 28 of which came on one play. 4 td's. started 10 game's played in 16.
Will be 34 yr. old this season, comeing off sholder surgery, and has a total cap hit of 3 million much more than all the others combined.

This was your opinion of playing extreamly well, the rookies barried him, and Smith will do the same. Your right he started 10 games and played in 16 and had the most oppurtunity to succede but could not. So he must stay because you say so or must go because the stats and the facts say it is time.

What do catches have anything to do with Crumpler's role? He is a phenominal blocking TE - check out Chris Johnson's numbers with and without him - and is the ultimate professional. I'm not sure how you can say the rookies "played behind" him since NE ran the majority of their plays out of a 2 TE set and also did some 3 TE stuff as well.

Using catches as rationale for why Crumpler should or shouldn't stay completely misses the point.

What do catches have anything to do with Crumpler's role? He is a phenominal blocking TE - check out Chris Johnson's numbers with and without him - and is the ultimate professional. I'm not sure how you can say the rookies "played behind" him since NE ran the majority of their plays out of a 2 TE set and also did some 3 TE stuff as well.

Using catches as rationale for why Crumpler should or shouldn't stay completely misses the point.

Do the work , show the numbers to support your claims untill you do it is only your own opinion. I respect the players history but as of now he can be charecterized as old, overwieght, slow, injured,overpayed, and overrated, being replaced by two exceptional second year players and one rookie with a high threshhold.
Crump had a great career but the operative word is had. Show what he has done lately.

Do the work , show the numbers to support your claims untill you do it is only your own opinion. I respect the players history but as of now he can be charecterized as old, overwieght, slow, injured,overpayed, and overrated, being replaced by two exceptional second year players and one rookie with a high threshhold.
Crump had a great career but the operative word is had. Show what he has done lately.

Exactly what numbers do you think he should produce for a blocking tight end?

The only way you should expect Crumpler not to make the team is if he shows up for training camp having lost another couple of steps.

How closely did you watch the games last year? Every game there were at least 2-3 plays where the crew would show a replay specifically to point out a killer block by Algernon. Virtually every key run last year was directly behind him.

One of the coolest things about the guy is he celebrates his teammates' success as if it were his own. He demolishes his guy, Benny runs through the hole for a 15 yard gain and Crumpler is joyously throwing his arms up.

If you don't understand how valuable having guys who excell at the gruntwork - and genuinely love doing it - then I guess no one will change your mind.

Last edited:

The only way you should expect Crumpler not to make the team is if he shows up for training camp having lost another couple of steps.

This is wearing quite thin. The only supporting evidence is an opinion that you think he is a blocking tight end and his inability to catch the ball like the other blocking TE's dosn't matter. Well it did matter in the last playoff game when this vet whiffed on his TD. Gronk is a blocking TE and he challenged catch,yardage, and TD records as did Hernandez. You think these guys didn't do there share of blocking. Smith is a blocling TE one of the best in this draft and he showed good recieveing records. If all you want out of Crumpler is another blocker on the line put in another OT to do his work.

How closely did you watch the games last year? Every game there were at least 2-3 plays where the crew would show a replay specifically to point out a killer block by Algernon. Virtually every key run last year was directly behind him.

One of the coolest things about the guy is he celebrates his teammates' success as if it were his own. He demolishes his guy, Benny runs through the hole for a 15 yard gain and Crumpler is joyously throwing his arms up.

If you don't understand how valuable having guys who excell at the gruntwork - and genuinely love doing it - then I guess no one will change your mind.

According to your words you should have no problems finding links to 32-48 plays where Crump was criticle in breaking open plays in 2010. Let see.

This is wearing quite thin. The only supporting evidence is an opinion that you think he is a blocking tight end and his inability to catch the ball like the other blocking TE's dosn't matter. Well it did matter in the last playoff game when this vet whiffed on his TD. Gronk is a blocking TE and he challenged catch,yardage, and TD records as did Hernandez. You think these guys didn't do there share of blocking. Smith is a blocling TE one of the best in this draft and he showed good recieveing records. If all you want out of Crumpler is another blocker on the line put in another OT to do his work.

Ok, so you're clueless about what blocking tight ends are about, and you are somehow missing the success of the running game even with Mankins missing a big chunk of the season and Neal missing most of the season, but you're telling others that it's "wearing quite thin" when you asked for numbers and were subsequently asked what numbers should be produced for a blocking TE?

Feel free to take a look back at the contract the Broncos gave Graham to sign him away from the Patriots. Graham was, you got it, a blocking tight end who was not putting up great receiving numbers. Maybe that will help you to understand the level of esteem that the very best blocking tight ends are sometimes held in.

Last edited:

You're hilarious. What part of "they don't make a stat for that" don't you understand?

You make a good point, how are you guys not remembering Hoyer's perfect passer rating in all those games... :rolleyes:

And what you are saying about draft a college kid, you repeated the same post about signing Mallett to a long deal at least 5 times!

I wanna trade Hoyer ASAP to get Round 2 Comp and to free roster s[ace.

Mallets contract is erroneous to me wanting to trade hoyert.

Calciume peoplel do forget that game.:bricks:

at least we know. I take my chance on a pro-understudy to the best over a college chump who is:confused:

forget my early preclusion so sign him long trtm... ifv he imprsses maybe we vdo something then.

Mallett is to far away from being TFB succesor. If it were 2-3 years later on then yes long term prolly

Last edited:
Ok, so you're clueless about what blocking tight ends are about, and you are somehow missing the success of the running game even with Mankins missing a big chunk of the season and Neal missing most of the season, but you're telling others that it's "wearing quite thin" when you asked for numbers and were subsequently asked what numbers should be produced for a blocking TE?

Feel free to take a look back at the contract the Broncos gave Graham to sign him away from the Patriots. Graham was, you got it, a blocking tight end who was not putting up great receiving numbers. Maybe that will help you to understand the level of esteem that the very best blocking tight ends are sometimes held in.

It apears that you are incapable of defending your point other than to say you believe so and others are clueless. Also you expect to put B*** S*** out there and not back it up with proof and be believed. If you believe the information is out there to back you up show it. Crump is so valuble, we will not get an offer when we want to release him, I expect him to retire to the emergency phone list. your turn to say "is so"

It apears that you are incapable of defending your point other than to say you believe so and others are clueless. Also you expect to put B*** S*** out there and not back it up with proof and be believed. If you believe the information is out there to back you up show it. Crump is so valuble, we will not get an offer when we want to release him, I expect him to retire to the emergency phone list. your turn to say "is so"

How about you prove that he's NOT an elite blocker?

It's not my fault that you can't seem to read. I asked you a question:

you've never bothered to actually answer that. As a result, I don't know what numbers you'd want to be looking at for rating blocking tight ends. Of course, the reality is that even a site that's as good as Football Outsider can't really measure full TE effectiveness, and the area they struggle with is precisely the area where blocking tight ends would be measured:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/te

Still, Crumpler had a positive DYAR and DVOA.

And you are clueless, since you seem to think that an established blocker needs numbers, but some kid from college who hasn't done a damned thing in the NFL, and fell to the 5th round, is just going to get a hall pass. I mean, you cited Smith's numbers in comparison to NFL players' numbers, as if that actually meant something. If you were any more clueless on this subject, you'd be Alicia Silverstone.

Last edited:
It's not my fault that you can't seem to read. I asked you a question:

you've never bothered to actually answer that. As a result, I don't know what numbers you'd ant to be looking at for rating blocking tight ends.

And you are clueless, since you seem to think that an established blocker needs numbers, but some kid from college who hasn't done a damned thing in the NFL, and fell to the 5th round, is just going to get a hall pass. I mean, you cited Smith's numbers in comparison to NFL players' numbers, as if that actually meant something. If you were any more clueless on this subject, you'd be Alicia Silverstone.

Are you incapable of doing your own research? I have layed out available facts that support my claims and expect you to do the same. The problem for you is you will not find any recent lists of top TE's with his name on it, which is what you need . I have yet to find any published rateings that list Crumpler as an elite or even top TE. In fact most lists do not even have his name on them. I am not here to do your research for you or be questioned by you, yet the more I read the more I find your claim is unsupportable. Then the defence for your point is name calling and insults revieling your level of competence, I believe this conversation is over, point set, match.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back