PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Leave it to Dungy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't find his comments to be that outrageous.

Honestly, I do. It's not what he said per se, it's the very idea of an active head coach opining to the press about another organization's negotiations with a player under contract. Have you ever heard something like that before?

I thought he had quiet strength?

Perhaps if he paid as much attention to his son as he does to other team's business, he'd still be alive.

I see that you're relatively new to the Board, but that kind of stuff is considered out of line by most of us. We despise Dungy. We detest him. We think he's a sanctimonious prig. But we don't make comments like that. His son's death was a tragedy. If you have kids, you understand the pain it caused his dad.

Hey Gunner, that's pretty cool of you to make a contribution to Ian when you aren't even a Patriot fan.

:eat3:

Ditto on that and I assume he knows that most of us agree with him on that idiot comment about Dungy's son.

to butt his nose in and pull out his soapbox so he can preach his opinion to the national media.:eek:

When players do it, I think of it as just another athlete running his mouth, but when coaching or management says it, I feel it's downright rude and unprofessional.

LINK:
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8352562/Dungy-sides-with-Packers-over-Favre

I read the comments before they were posted here and actually thought they were quite reasonable and better than I would expect from a guy I can't abide. He's entitled to his opinion. He expressed it reasonably and in a nuanced fashion that took into account both sides of the argument. It also helps that I agree with him, I guess.

Honestly, I do. It's not what he said per se, it's the very idea of an active head coach opining to the press about another organization's negotiations with a player under contract. Have you ever heard something like that before?

I usually agree with you, PC, but I don't here. I don't have the time to google NFL HC's and their comments on other teams' players, so I'll take your word that it's unusual at best. But, I think these circumstances are unusual for the spot into which Favre has put the Packers. It's a matter that impacts an important franchise in the League. I think it's appropriate for one of the premier coaches in the League (as much as I hate describing Dungy like that) to comment on the situation. What's inappropriate is when a coach or member of management comments on a player with an eye to attracting them to their team. Clearly that isn't going on here.

It also helps that I agree with him, I guess.

Oh, I agree with him too -- to me, that's not really the point. I just think he showed poor judgment by talking to the press about a personnel issue like that.

Unless...let's suppose for a moment that it wasn't poor judgment, but a strategic use of the media to get a message out. Hmm, what could Dungy be angling at by making the very public point that it's a mistake to cling to once-great players on the downsides of their careers? Gee, how could that possibly apply to the Indianapolis Colts? ;)

The thing that really bothers me about Dungy is his almost automatic tendency towards self-righteousness. Whether he is being interviewed for an article or on a late night talk show it seems he can't help but get on his soapbox about what other people are doing wrong. It is beyond annoying at this point.

Oh, I agree with him too -- to me, that's not really the point. I just think he showed poor judgment by talking to the press about a personnel issue like that.

Unless...let's suppose for a moment that it wasn't poor judgment, but a strategic use of the media to get a message out. Hmm, what could Dungy be angling at by making the very public point that it's a mistake to cling to once-great players on the downsides of their careers? Gee, how could that possibly apply to the Indianapolis Colts? ;)

Heh-heh. Devious minds run in the same whatever... You wouldn't be talking about a $12,000,000, 35 YO WR, who played five games last year and will miss training camp this year?...and maybe a few years down the line, a 32 YO, $17,000,000 QB who just had knee surgery?

I thought he had quiet strength?

Perhaps if he paid as much attention to his son as he does to other team's business, he'd still be alive.

That jock strap your wearing, it pulls up from your legs, not over your head.

I don't think it's that bad to say that he's a horrible father. Tony talks about other people's business and constantly takes cheap shots like the true douche that he is

Also, he's not very original. What a FRAUD.

0310260906.jpg

maybe the scumbag didn't think anyone would notice. He just needs to keep his mouth shut.

I'm on to you Dungy, i bet your freckles are fake too.

Last edited:
Heh-heh. Devious minds run in the same whatever... You wouldn't be talking about a $12,000,000, 35 YO WR, who played five games last year and will miss training camp this year?...

Interesting, no? If you were such a WR, wouldn't you read the paper and instantly assume your coach was speaking straight to you?

Dungy is the greatest human being I have ever seen

Haven't you heard? Dungheap wrote a children's book. He is the foremost authority on everything including parenting.

dungheap-1.jpg

Product Description
Tony Dungy's little brother, Linden, is a third grader who is having a bad day at school. Linden is the youngest of the Dungy family and the least motivated because he hasn't found "it." In a family where everyone seems to have found their special talent, all Linden knows is that he wants to make people happy.

With encouragement from his parents, a helping hand from his older brother Tony, and inspiration from God, Linden learns that if he dreams big and has faith, he can do anything! (except how not be a sanctimonious hypocrite)

Haven't you heard? Dungheap wrote a children's book. He is the foremost authority on everything including parenting.

dungheap-1.jpg

Product Description
Tony Dungy's little brother, Linden, is a third grader who is having a bad day at school. Linden is the youngest of the Dungy family and the least motivated because he hasn't found "it." In a family where everyone seems to have found their special talent, all Linden knows is that he wants to make people happy.

With encouragement from his parents, a helping hand from his older brother Tony, and inspiration from God, Linden learns that if he dreams big and has faith, he can do anything! (except how not be a sanctimonious hypocrite)

Linden was better off being a happy kid. It's only in this day and age where you have to have a special talent. You can't just have fun. You have to develop a special talent so you can show off. The more athletic kids, yes, may play sports at the college level and maybe develop a serious athletic talent. And maybe the kid who plays his musical instrument becomes a virtuoso, or whatever. The rest of the kids though can be just as happy making noise with a guitar, an amp, and a set of drums in someone's garage, without deluding themselves about their so-called talents.

Go play happily in your sandbox Linden, and tell your older brother to develop a sense of humor, a lesson he apparently missed while he was "developing his talents."

Last edited:

Just recently I recall Brad Childress talking about the roster massaging we were trying to pull with Garrett Mills.

There are probably plenty of other examples I or others here can't recall because they didn't involve a high profile case like Favre's, or were in any way substantial.

Stuff along the line of "IF so-and-so became available, we'd love to have him here, he's a great player."

I think Dungy gave a fair answer to what may have been an unfair question. Frankly I'd rather NFL players and coaches give mild opinions on stuff they have insight on, like retirements, instead heated opinions on stuff they don't, like when Marvin Lewis said the Cincinnati police were unfairly harassing his players.

It's not just Pat's fans:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/07/17/dungy-sticks-his-nose-in-favre-situation/

Tell your coach to shut up and people will leave him alone.

So, Florio agrees, but doesn't like it? Tell me, what is Florio's history with his feelings about Dungy and Colts? Honest question, I really don't know what his agenda or bias is.

This interview was with the New York Times. I assume the interview had more to do with his fabulous book ( ;) ) than with the NFL. I assume that he was asked about the situation, and he gave an opinion, one that made a great deal of sense.

I don't think Dungy went out of his way to get his voice heard on this, just gave a pretty short matter of fact response. It is also funny to infer that Manning or Marvin might be targets of his opinion. I think he was just trying to lend credibility to his statements by including a star Colts player to illustrate his point.

The problem here is, every word out of an opponents mouth gets dissected so completely, that a story, meaning, word, phrase can get convoluted and twisted to such a degree, then all the sudden, it becomes gospel.

Take a friggin' chill pill. Relax. Breath. And think about who might be the potential surprise star of your team this year;)

Last edited:
What happened to the Dungy family is a tragedy and regardless of what team you root for it is disgusting to take cheap shots at it. It is also in no way a sign of poor parenting on his part. Events like Columbine where you have kids stocking up on weaponry in Mom and Dad's garage you can sure as hell attribute to bad parenting. But the actions of an 18 year old freshman at college, I don't think so. My parents sure as hell didn't know everything I was up to (God help my Mother if they did) or everything that went on in my head at that time in my life.

I'm sure the defense will be well I'm not a Patriots fan so I shouldn't comment on this and I guess that is fine but here is what I will say to that. What do you honestly think would happen if you walked up to a man like Rodney Harrison, who bleeds Patriot Blue, and made that same crack in front of him. I honestly think at best he'd tell you your a disgrace to the fanbase and he was disgusted with you, and at the worst he'd probably knock your ass out.

What happened to the Dungy family is a tragedy and regardless of what team you root for it is disgusting to take cheap shots at it. It is also in no way a sign of poor parenting on his part. Events like Columbine where you have kids stocking up on weaponry in Mom and Dad's garage you can sure as hell attribute to bad parenting. But the actions of an 18 year old freshman at college, I don't think so. My parents sure as hell didn't know everything I was up to (God help my Mother if they did) or everything that went on in my head at that time in my life.

I'm sure the defense will be well I'm not a Patriots fan so I shouldn't comment on this and I guess that is fine but here is what I will say to that. What do you honestly think would happen if you walked up to a man like Rodney Harrison, who bleeds Patriot Blue, and made that same crack in front of him. I honestly think at best he'd tell you your a disgrace to the fanbase and he was disgusted with you, and at the worst he'd probably knock your ass out.

You're absolutely correct.

trust me. I know a LOT about parenting, and i would definitely, definitely, say that Tony Dungy is a horrible father.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back