Welcome to PatsFans.com

Leaked Letter Reveals Conservative Strategy: Don’t Talk About Iraq

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, Feb 14, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Leaked Letter Reveals Conservative Strategy For Iraq Debate: Don’t Talk About Iraq

This week, the House of Representatives is debating a resolution opposing President Bush’s Iraq escalation. The resolution is just 58 words long, and has only one purpose: “Disapproving of the decision of the President announced on January 10, 2007, to deploy more than 20,000 additional United States combat troops to Iraq.”

But a leaked letter obtained today by Majority Leader Steny Hoyer’s (D-MD) office reveals that conservatives have formulated a strategy to avoid talking about the central question of the debate.

In the letter, leading conservative Reps. John Shadegg (R-AZ) and Peter Hoekstra (R-MI) inform their allies: “The debate should not be about the surge or its details. This debate should not even be about the Iraq war to date, mistakes that have been made, or whether we can, or cannot, win militarily.” Shadegg and Hoekstra warn, if conservatives are forced to debate “the surge or the current situation in Iraq, we lose.”

Read it:

[​IMG]

Instead, they write, “the debate must be about the global threat of the radical Islamic movement.” The problem is they lose that debate too.

the entire letter, here
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2007
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

so there we have it... irrefutable proof that the Con men, in fact, do not have a leg to stand on, and they know it... they can't debate the merits of the war, nor the surge, and instead can only focus on the overall crusade against Muslims.....

what happens here on this forum is a microcosm of that very deflection...
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Well the crusade against Muslims is well deserved.

But to the point -

The issue of diversion from talking about Iraq isn't that the war is unwinnable but overcoming the tidal wave of liberal media against it is. It's an unwinnable war against the media and, therefore, public opinion influenced by the media.

It's like Bush's attempt to privatize a tiny part of social security. It was an overwhelmingly good idea but everyone ganged up so quickly against it, the concept, though good, was unwinnable.
  4. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

what?

I think you missed the point....then did exactly what PC said you would do.
  5. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

:confused:

Not sure I know what you're saying. I'm just saying the "war" of public opinion is lost, even if the War in Iraq isn't.
  6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

The point is that these people you seem to trust and follow have been leading this propoganda war for quite some time. There are only so many times that the public can be fooled. This agenda has become old and I think everyone is getting fed up with the BS.

plus....

If you believe that a war against muslims is justified, you need to check the 1st ammendent.
  7. Fixit

Fixit Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0

That's comforting.
  8. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Politicans playing politics I'm shocked!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't realize this kind of thing went on in DC.

Thanks for pointing that out who knew.

;)
  9. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

ha!....I feel ya.

Maybe here is the thing that gets me the most: Sending out a talking point for these politicians. Can anyone in Washington stand up for their OWN views and not be sheep?

Pretty soon, americans will get fed up with this BS as well, and hopefully stand up, turn off American Idol.....and fight back.
  10. PATRIOTS-80

PATRIOTS-80 Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I like your green font....
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I really don't see what the big deal is. Each party has it's own strategy. Do any of you think that the Dems don't have a memo that says the opposite? Both parties are the same when it comes to crap like this.
  12. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 3 / -2

I think that's supposed to mean something. What, I have no idea. :D
  13. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

as it relates to this topic, could the gentleman who actually said
    "the crusade against Muslims is well deserved" please expand on that for us all to digest?
  14. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

Just open your eyes and figure it out for yourself, it's very easy.
  15. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

what flavor is the kool-aid you sipped?

Rovian Red?
    Cheney Chill?
    Neo****tail?
  16. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +106 / 7 / -10

Go to memri.org which translates news from Arabic speaking media. Check out the Fox programs that uses clips of Imam speaking in Mosques. Then see if you can figure it out.
  17. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

your side of the aisle's rhetoric is not for me to "figure out".... i was sincerely asking, not because i don't know pretty much what you're going to offer, but because I want it right out on the table for everyone to absorb... unfortunately, neither you, nor your blustering ally, patsfan, seems to have the courage to accept the challenge and offer a brief essay on exactly what you mean when condoning "the crusade against muslims."

instead, you offer such a brief, volatile statement of opinion, and then hide from it, suggesting we must figure it out for ourselves by looking up some OTHER righty's take on it all...
  18. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's been covered so many times I get tired of writing the same thing.

Basically the "bad muslims" are the only group who are out there blowing up people for the sole purpose of killing innocent people . . . and the "good muslims", who everyone says is most of them, sit idly by not doing a damn thing and letting it happen. If they were really good people and the vast majority I would think they'd be ganging together to stop the bad ones from violating the name of their religion.

Basically I don't have time for any of them. I'm still waiting for the good people of the middle east to stand up against the minority bad guys . . . but it's not happening is it.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

that's interesting... because i think the rest of the world is waiting for "the good Americans" to stop the war-mongering chicken hawks, but it's not happening, is it?

so you prefer to condemn (crusade against) 1.4 billion people because they can't rein in their radical extremists?
  20. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +245 / 7 / -9

#24 Jersey

It's just not worth arguing with people who compare our attack, however misguided, to ending terrorism to the terrorists themselves.