PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

League to Playoff Teams: Respect the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoLewisrocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
SI_PeterKing NFL VP Ray Anderson contacted all 8 playoff teams late in wk+told them they're all on notice: Respect the game, cut down the trash-talking.
3 minutes ago via TweetDeck

Of course King acknowledges this cut the trash talk directive is obviously the result of one team and player behaving like morons, but god forbid a JET get reprimanded or fined before the big game.

Does it really take this long to generate a memo? The NFL should have done this days ago.

I'm not holding my breath for any action to be taken against Bart Scott or Mangold.

So this is, what, the third league-wide memo inspired by the Jets this year (female reporters; tripgate and now this)?

And what do you think generated this notice from the NFL?

99.9% guarantee it was Wel Welker's foot references.

The NFL does not want to shed light EVER on Rex Ryan's alt.com bio.

Every time someone gives it new energy, the NFL tightens its sphincter a little bit more.

Somehow this will be Welker's fault in the beady eyes of Jests fans.

And what do you think generated this notice from the NFL?

99.9% guarantee it was Wel Welker's foot references.

The NFL does not want to shed light EVER on Rex Ryan's alt.com bio.

Every time someone gives it new energy, the NFL tightens its sphincter a little bit more.

Right on target. Props to Wes for a tweak that gored Commissioner Clouseau's clown shop. His clever riff got mainstream media coverage, the same media that had pretty much avoided any details of Ryan's alt advertisements. Such coverage cannot be allowed to overshadow the constant re-mentions of Spygate.

Last edited:
It is pretty amazing that the league gets more fired up about subtle foot references than it does about making public threats. Eff Goodell, this world would be better without him.

The league wants the trash talk as it fuels the hype machine. They are just doing this to show the world that the league is always concerned about the integrity of the game. Now they've made teh players feel like heels for acting like they don't care about the game.

As others have said, this should have put their foot down on Mon or Tue or immediately after Octo-dad crossed the line.

Regarding trash-talk, if they wanted the players to toe the line and abide by the leagues code of conduct, they should have mandated this on Monday.

Last edited:
Actually I have a feeling there has been a lot of wincing on Park Ave this week, including probably when BK dropped a dime on his pal the commish as the Scott comments probably got handed to the Omishioner before Newsday hit the street. Ergo everyone is now on notice because of the behavior of one renegade team who along with their loose cannon HC and scummy GM and self absorbed owner whose team hasn't won in 42 years because they don't respect the game and they spend more time pandering for the media attention they confuse with relevance.

All this "Trash Talking" is going to increase ratings for the NFL. I know 99% of us would watch all theese games this weekend regardless, but there is a piece of the pie that needs stuff like this to tune in and stay tuned in. In boxing and MMA they encourage this stuff, the only difference is most of that is just BS hype to get people to fork over money for PPV, This is real.

The league wants the trash talk as it fuels the hype machine. They are just doing this to show the world that the league is always concerned about the integrity of the game. Now they've made teh players feel like heels for acting like they don't care about the game.

As others have said, this should have put their foot down on Mon or Tue or immediately after Octo-dad crossed the line.

Regarding trash-talk, if they wanted the players to toe the line and abide by the leagues code of conduct, they should have mandated this on Monday.

Foot down

Toe the Line

Heels

:rocker:

I am really waiting for a player to cross in alt.co territory. Just one player to say, "Our only concern is that, on defense, Rex will use extra men to fill the gaps."

Last edited:
Press: "How do you think the Jets defense will play you differently this time?
Brady: "Well, any defense usually offers up several holes to run or pass through. We just have to stay on our feet, and pick the hole that we feel is to our advantage."

Press: "Do you think they will blitz more this time than last?"
Brady: "I don't want to torture the issue; if they do, we will try to penetrate whatever hole that opens up."

Press: "Do you have a plan that you stick to, or is your approach more to improvise?"
Brady: "Most defenses do something to advertise where their weakness is; it's not like they post it on the internet, but they usually provide some kind of indication of their preferences and orientation."

Press: "What has the team done to maintain its focus since the last game?"
Brady: "This team is pretty young, so the bye made me curious - how well would we stay on our game? It's not like this game is going to be a drive in the park. I think we've done pretty well so far, but we'll see.

Press: "If you win, would you rather play Pittsburg or Baltimore?"
Brady: "It's about as useless for me to speak to that now as a nipple is on a man."

All this "Trash Talking" is going to increase ratings for the NFL. I know 99% of us would watch all theese games this weekend regardless, but there is a piece of the pie that needs stuff like this to tune in and stay tuned in. In boxing and MMA they encourage this stuff, the only difference is most of that is just BS hype to get people to fork over money for PPV, This is real.

I think you are right to a certain extent. However, there is a point at which parents start pulling their children away from the television and sponsors start pulling their support from the sport so as not to tarnish their image. I just don't think you can put dancing robots on the screen in an effort to attract a younger audience and not suffer repercussions for failing to stay within socially acceptable boundaries for a younger audience. The NFL cannot allow this lowbrow level of discourse to become commonplace within the public domain or they will lose money. They don't want to become "R-Rated". It conflicts with their goal to have every single game carried on a local network.

Press: "How do you think the Jets defense will play you differently this time?
Brady: "Well, any defense usually offers up several holes to run or pass through. We just have to stay on our feet, and pick the hole that we feel is to our advantage."

Press: "Do you think they will blitz more this time than last?"
Brady: "I don't want to torture the issue; if they do, we will try to penetrate whatever hole that opens up."

Press: "Do you have a plan that you stick to, or is your approach more to improvise?"
Brady: "Most defenses do something to advertise where their weakness is; it's not like they post it on the internet, but they usually provide some kind of indication of their preferences and orientation."

Press: "What has the team done to maintain its focus since the last game?"
Brady: "This team is pretty young, so the bye made me curious - how well would we stay on our game? It's not like this game is going to be a drive in the park. I think we've done pretty well so far, but we'll see.

Press: "If you win, would you rather play Pittsburg or Baltimore?"
Brady: "It's about as useless for me to speak to that now as a nipple is on a man."

If this happened in real life, it would have been the most epic press conference ever.

Last edited:
It's all Wes' fault. Right now, America has this vomit-inducing image of Rex ding-dongin his wife's hammer toe. Baaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrr................ffff. There I go again.
Video Alert: Rex pre game meal
starts at 50 seconds
YouTube - The Meaning Of Life - The Autumn Years

That's it, fine the Pats and take a 1st rd draft pick away...:bricks:

This was a brilliant move by Welker. He brought the spotlight back on this without looking bad in the process. How he ever did that interview without cracking a smirk I will never know. And Rex Ryan brought this on himself. The Jets better get used to it because it will come up as long as he is their coach.

Does it really take this long to generate a memo? The NFL should have done this days ago.

Yes. When the problems are all stemmed by the Comish's favorite team, certainly. Does this surprise you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes