PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

League in the process of granting legal indemnification to walsh

Status
Not open for further replies.
When the NFL went to court with Al Davis, these seeming contradictions were not apparent. I don't think it's a problem here either. The league idemnifies Walsh, Pats sue Walsh. Effectively suing the league is very different than suing the league directly.

Totally different. Al Davis' never ending pursuit of greener pastures challenged the anti-trust protections of the NFL. He wasn't really suing the NFL for any kind of damages, he was getting the federal courts to allow his team to move.

The only other lawsuit I know of was his boneheaded attempt to sue the other 31 owners over his inability to get a new stadium in LA. He was trying to punish the other owners for supposedly dragging their feet instead of helping him close the deal.

If the Pats brought a lawsuit against the NFL for offering Walsh indemnification, then I can see the similarity. Once that is done, I can't see the Pats doing anything unless Walsh violates the the terms of the indemnity agreement.

@a.paul: does the "a" stand for *******? Most real fans aren't going to blindly support Bellichick. Start using your head and try to understand he is the problem here. I've never put down the players, never will(besides Moss).

Stop drinking that kool-aid.
Hey loser..go back to the sox board...you are a TROLL...

Walsh was not even in the video department....felger said that a few days ago..he was in the Scoutiong dept....and apparently he was blabbing things to many people...and was fired...and from what I heard as well...(bot from MF) was that he could have been brought to court BY the Patriots..they did not..soI think the media should really look at this character..and find out how credible he is..I don't think he is...
IF he has a tape..he needs a LOT more than that to really cause any problem...

Totally different. Al Davis' never ending pursuit of greener pastures challenged the anti-trust protections of the NFL. He wasn't really suing the NFL for any kind of damages, he was getting the federal courts to allow his team to move.

The only other lawsuit I know of was his boneheaded attempt to sue the other 31 owners over his inability to get a new stadium in LA. He was trying to punish the other owners for supposedly dragging their feet instead of helping him close the deal.

If the Pats brought a lawsuit against the NFL for offering Walsh indemnification, then I can see the similarity. Once that is done, I can't see the Pats doing anything unless Walsh violates the the terms of the indemnity agreement.

I didn't say they'd sure the NFL. I sad they'd sue Walsh.

I didn't say they'd sure the NFL. I sad they'd sue Walsh.

Dude, not sure where we are crossing wires here. If the NFL (representing the Pats and others) offers protections for Walsh, I think it is highly unlikely that the Pats (as a representative of the NFL) would take legal action against Walsh...at least for doing the very things for which he was offered protection.

I never said the Pats would sue the NFL. I didn't bring up Al Davis' lawsuits against the NFL. My point is that you don't offer a guy protect against lawsuits for doing something and then sue him after he does it.

I am confident Goodall wants it to go away. I suspect this is to give Walsh and whatever other Patriot haters are out there less amunition for excuses like "Walsh couldn't give all information he had because he was scared of being sued" or whatever. Make him as free as possible to say what he can, then say that he provided no useful information.

I agree. I havent read the whole thread but when I saw this the first thing that came to my mind is to call out Walsh's bluff. The reason he claims he won't talk is because of legal ramifications. If the league removes those than he no longer can use that as an excuse as to why he has no information on the patriots. Bottom line is he's a loser who wants hi 5 min of fame but I hope karma's a ***** in his case...

Last edited:
Dude, not sure where we are crossing wires here. If the NFL (representing the Pats and others) offers protections for Walsh, I think it is highly unlikely that the Pats (as a representative of the NFL) would take legal action against Walsh...at least for doing the very things for which he was offered protection.

I never said the Pats would sue the NFL. I didn't bring up Al Davis' lawsuits against the NFL. My point is that you don't offer a guy protect against lawsuits for doing something and then sue him after he does it.

Goodell is offering it. Not Kraft. Kraft would have every right to do it afterward.

I'm mjust disagreeing with you that in this case Goodell somehow represents the Patriots. I believe he doesn't. In fact, I'd say his interests are opposed, because he's acting in his capacity as an enforcer of the league's image/rules.

I'm mjust disagreeing with you that in this case Goodell somehow represents the Patriots. I believe he doesn't. In fact, I'd say his interests are opposed, because he's acting in his capacity as an enforcer of the league's image/rules.

Goodell serves at the pleasure of the owners. He is not an independent entity, so I'm not sure how he could have opposing interests. He is the "enforcer of the league's image/rules" only because the owners put him in that position and gave him those powers. The view that Goodell is the sheriff riding herd over the owners is misplaced.

My thought is this is probably because Specter was babbling about needing to bring Walsh to "testify". The league is showing that they are willing to investigate and it isn't much of an investigation if you talk to the guy and he says "No comment, I don't feel like I can say anything."

Point here is that it's all speculation. He was "fired", so he must be "disgruntled". There are so many ways this could play out, who knows the truth?

My father always wondered why you always heard about the disgruntled employee, but never heard about the disgruntled employer...

I think that's right.

The reason you put a confidentiality provision in an agreement is to keep stuff confidential. You don't wish ever to have to sue to enforce it, but if you have to, so be it. If someone violates it, you have no choice but to sue, or else you're telling your other employees who have a confidentiality agreement they can violate it and there will be no consequence.

If the NFL indemnifies Walsh, that all goes right out the window. What purpose is served by suing him at that point? He has no liability, and so you're stuck in a lawsuit where your league is the real defendant to try to enforce a right that no longer exists because the information has been revealed. There's nothing left to protect.

If the NFL indemnifies Walsh, suing is a waste of time and worse serves no discernable purpose other than getting the Patriots in a legal dispute with the league over, literally, nothing except a few bucks that Kraft doesn't need.

What the patriots could try to do is seek to enjoin Walsh from violating the agreement. If they get an injunction, indemnity doesn't help him. The NFL can't indemnify him from getting thrown in jail for contempt of court.

I don't know whether injunctive relief is permitted to enforce confidentiality agreements. It might be if the league is requesting the information. If this gets to a point where Congress or someone else is subpoenaing the information, there's no way a court would enjoin Walsh from disclosing.

Last edited:
Does anyone else have a memory of Kraft being interviewed and saying that after the season he was going to release some info that would shed some light on the spygate fiasco??? Did I imagine this ???( ie: wishful thinking???)

talk about fair weather fans.....goddamn.

dude, hop off the bandwagon and go buy your giants jersey.

Anyone in the Navy? I'm sure someone could figure out how to land a JDAM in that general vicinity from a plane based at Hickam. :D

My GF heard on the news over the weekend that he is afraid for his family in Rhode Island.

There are 31 other teams you can be a fan of. Ass.

I am pretty sure he already is. From the first post of his that I read, I knew he was a troll posing as a Pats fan.

My GF heard on the news over the weekend that he is afraid for his family in Rhode Island.

Yeah, because Walsh is such a unique name in New England.

BTW, to all those who QUOTED the troll and responded to him in this thread: I have deleted your quoting responses.

Instead of PUBLICIZING the troll, just hit the triangle icon to report him to the mods, or PM us.

By PUBLICIZING his remarks, you only serve his purpose.

He is banned, through no doing of yours. Someone smart finally hit the triangle on him.

The quickest and most lethal way for you to handle a troll is to hit the Triangle (or, if that doesn't work) PM a Mod.

BTW, to all those who QUOTED the troll and responded to him in this thread: I have deleted your quoting responses.

Instead of PUBLICIZING the troll, just hit the triangle icon to report him to the mods, or PM us.

He is banned, through no doing of yours. Someone smart finally hit the triangle on him.

The quickest and most lethal way for you to handle a troll is to hit the Triangle (or, if that doesn't work) PM a Mod.
Thanks...never knew about the triangle...

It must be nice to be perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey