Welcome to PatsFans.com

Leading indicators point down for GOP

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Sep 30, 2007.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Obviously it's way to early to interpret the impact on the current political mood on elections in over a year, but certainly for Democrats the signs are pretty good.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070930/ap_on_el_ge/republican_woes

WASHINGTON - It is gallows humor time for Republicans in Congress, where one lawmaker jokes that "there's talk about us going the way of the Whigs," the 19th century political party long extinct.

Fundraising for Republican campaign organizations lags. That is strikingly so in the House, where the party committee spent more than it raised in each of the past two months, reported only $1.6 million in the bank at the end of August and a debt of nearly $4 million.

Candidate recruitment has been uneven, particularly in the Senate, where Republicans must defend 22 of the 34 seats on the ballot next year. Democrats boast top-tier challengers for GOP-held seats in Colorado, Virginia, New Hampshire, Maine, Minnesota and Oregon.

Additionally, nine Republicans in the House and three in the Senate have announced plans to retire. Some of those leaving are in midcareer, when a departure often signals pessimism about the prospects for regaining the majority. Democratic retirements total two to date — both are House members who are running for the Senate.
  2. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

The democrats will win, even I know that, the country is changing and the culture of the country is changing, Bush & His Illegal Aliens have helped greatly on that one, the only thing the republicans have going for them is the jerks the democrats are running but of course the republicans are also running a bunch whiney cowards, we have no more American Heros, someday we will have a dictator the left wing in this country is already leaning towards that they seem to like the ruthless cruel dictators, I can't understand that one they go out of their minds if an American Cop slaps somebody's face then they run down and make love to Castro & Chavez :confused:

When the democrats win it all I hope they don't forget the Muslim Terrorist because the Muslim Terrorist will NEVER forget them.
    Good Luck With Your Freedom, democrats want the government running your whole life and little by little your freedom "to choose" will vanish.

Criminals & Terrorists love Democrats (the new ones)
    :bricks:
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

We know that, Patters, duh. It's a shame but it is what it is and it will be a disaster for the country. Where you are wrong, not here but in general, is that this is just a normal cyclic swing it's not a sign of Republicans being out of control forever. But the next decade could be very, very ugly.
  4. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +265 / 10 / -11

Of course, I think it's a normal cyclic swing, but the country overall swings left, and never swings all the way back to the right. Today's right-wing philosophy will be largely marginalized, just as what happened with the liberal philosophy of the 1970s. My guess is, if things go well, we'll have moderately liberal (what I'll call new liberalism) government until such time that conservatives reformulate their ideas in light of present day reality. They will have to come up with some kind of accommodation that appeals to both Hispanics and conservatives. That will not happen overnight. The next decade will be fine. You might not like everything about it, but the changes you fear will not happen overnight and will not happen to the degree that people like me want.
  5. mikey

mikey Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Disaster?

The last time we had a Democratic president, if I recall correctly, we had peace and prosperity. The NASDAQ was over 5,000 and I had millions on my 401(k) account. With a Democratic White House, the next decade will be full of hope and opportunities. We will restore integrity and dignity to the White House. We will get rid of the real terrorists, Osama Bin Laden and his Al Queda thugs. Just like the Clinton era, it will be the decade of peace and prosperity.

6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Well, Clinton II will have a stronger Democrat presence in congress. She's also more naturally liberal, I think, although I'm not sure we know what she is exactly.

I think the stock market will do fine and that's important to me and millions of others. However I expect a lot of money to be wasted on "global warming", taxes to go up for social security and medicare (probably not my taxes but taxes of higher incomes), lower quality health care that's at least as costly.

Basically I expect a drive towards the mean and I expect the lives of those with above average abilities to suffer for it.
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2007
  7. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

A small example and a small look at what America might become under the New Democrat Liberal Left Wing Rule. "SAN FRANCISCO".

Would any of you want to raise your children in that "loony bin"?
  8. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

A Hillary Clinton Presidency will be the best thing that could ever happen to Republican Congressman. 2010 would be like 1994 on steroids.
  9. QuiGon

QuiGon Banned

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

The country moved to the right significantly during the decade of the 80's. Bloom County used to make hilarious cartoons about this where Bill the Cat was in the center of the Earth twisting a valve which would literally move the United States further and further "to the right."

Since then, we have not even remotely ever reached the level of liberalism that was in place prior to then - nor will we.
  10. Harry Boy

Ratings:
    +663 / 2 / -9

Believe it or not it might be fun to watch that awful women try to run a country, fight the terrorists, raise taxes, increase new taxes, tell you and your family what Doctor to go to and then wait six months to have tooth pulled and while all this is going on little Muslim Back Packers will be waltzing through the airports and all the security people will be smiling and welcoming them because they don't want to offend them, she has a new one too, she wants you to give every child born in America $5000 then when they hit eighteen they can collect it and buy a truck load of coke to shove up their nose.

Many freedoms will be lost under Pant Suit Hillary, the Government will be running your whole life, yes it will be fun to watch all the liberals going to their government appointed Doctors.

The liberals don't like the idea of you having a Motor Home and Boat if the scum bag out in So Central LA doesn't have one so the liberals will try and find a way to take them away from you.
    GOD HELP AMERICA but it might be a good thing because after Pant Suit Hillary the people will never elect a liberal democrat for another 500 years.
  11. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

None of it matters. This country is going to impode very soon.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

By restore dignity, do you mean the same diginity that the current Admin promised to restore when our former president was getting head in the Oval Office? I've been trying to figure out what dignity all these politicians from both parties keep talking about from election to election. Baaaaa...

By hope and opportunity you mean for the 40 million illegal aliens who'll become citizens right? Maybe for the people who's entitlements are growing?

By getting the real terrorists, are you referring to the guy who hit us multiple times in the 90's, and was never apprehended or killed? Oh wait, that is who you are referring too.

I'm not trying to poke fun at anything you say, as I'm hopefull that peace, prosperity, fiscal sanity, etc all happen ASAP. I'm merely trying to point out how little changes, save for the letter next to the name.
  13. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Although I generally oppose the $5K thing I would generally be OK with it IF the money were a forced IRA and couldn't be taken out for anything until retiremenet.

$5K at age 0 for 65 years at 8% would give everyone $750K at retirement JUST FROM the $5K. It would be another way to partially privatize social security. But that's not what she's talking about so I'm against it.

Oh . . . and at the 12% that the S&P 500 historically averages, that $5K would be $8M after 65 years. Yes you read that right.

But stop me before I start in on social security agan.
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

We need to lessen the hand outs, and not increase them. The idea is mainly a ploy from the "Save the Children" crowd to attract M&M voters who don't understand that the $5k today will cost them $17k in waste, inneficiency, and earmarks. What I would consider is a tax deductable account of up to $5k at a childs birth that can't be touched for X amount of years.
  15. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +509 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I know but we also need to get people saving money for their own retirement and learning to grow money. Again, I am generally against this. But if it was directed immediately and exclusively into the stock market and was untouchable until age 65 I would probably support it.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

No way. I can't support anything that hands out money for nothing like this would. Plus, this would attract even more anchor droppers than the record number we have. Something like this does the opposite of teach people to save money. This plan would basically be telling people not to save for their kids, since the government saved it for them. Plus, those kids wouldn't work and save, since they've got there government trust fund to cash in at 18. I couldn't, and wouldn't, support something like that. What I would support is a fund that people could put their own money into, and use the figure as a tax deduction. Of course, then people like (fill in the blank) would call that a tax deduction for the rich. See, when the government hands out cash it's ok, but when people use their own money it's F the rich.