Welcome to PatsFans.com

Leadership: Vince's impact this season

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by JoeSixPat, Mar 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

It's exceptionally clear that Wilfork has embraced the mantle of locker room leader. It wouldn't surprise me if this were even an unspoken stipulation in his contract.

Regardless from outward appearances he's doing a great job in this regard.

Having long ago felt that the team has lost the "eye of the tiger" it's nice to see Vince doing his part to be a major rolemodel and call the troops to action.

For all of you quibbling about the lack of UFAs signed (and a great many teams in the NFL are following suit if you haven't noticed) my prediction is that Vince's signing - and subsequent locker room ability to insprie average players to collectively be great - will be the most piviotal off season move for the Pats.

Here's a few quotes from Vince and others who are clearly drinking the Kool Aid that led to our last 3 Super Bowl victories.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  2. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,149 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

So you need to be the highest paid player at your position to become a better leader?

Just asking ???

Tedy Bruschi & Bobby Hamilton did that without huge contracts.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  3. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +114 / 2 / -3

... all of the above players were getting paid fair market value, just like Vince is now...

Wilfork's always been a locker room leader and good role model - now that he has the security of a contract he's taking it to a new level. I have no doubt that Belichick strongly "encouraged" just this type of enhanced level of leadership during contract negotiations... but Vince is still just the sort of guy to carry this out and to get the team back to where it needs to be OFF the field before they can excell ON the field.

4. JMarr

JMarr In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +3 / 1 / -0

Vince's signing was huge--probably more important than any moves made by any teams so far. It remains to be seen if what Vince brings to the table will be enough to bring toughness back to this team. Mayo is clearly becoming a leader; after that.........? Even Bruschi never could have been able to go it alone. And Wilfork is a 2 (sometimes 1) down player.

Man I wish Slater had named names of the other guys who have been vocal about last year. Probably Brady and Mayo, who else?

5. Fencer

Fencer Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +174 / 3 / -15

#12 Jersey

Vince was disappointed in his contract situation last year. He missed some voluntary workouts as a result, IIRC. Probably he also skipped doing some voluntary leadership things he might have.

I have no problem with that. These guys have very few ways to exercise negotiating leverage vs. their employers, so nobody should blame them for using some of the ones they do have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.