Welcome to PatsFans.com

Leaders visit; front-line troops say, 'Yeah, so?'

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/04/27/damon.baladtroops/index.html

BALAD, Iraq (CNN) -- As Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice and Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld made their surprise visits to Baghdad on Wednesday, many of the troops stationed north of Baghdad, in Balad and Dujail, say either they didn't know about it or didn't care.

"I'd ask him for a plane ticket home to see my wife. I have barely seen her in the last two years," said a young sergeant, who did not want to be identified. Like many of the soldiers with the 4th Infantry Division, he is on his second deployment to Iraq.

Some joked that whenever VIP's come to visit they just go to the main bases and meet the "fobbits," the nickname given to troops who do not go outside the barbed wire.

"They have to get out to see the people that are doing the jobs they are making them do. If they didn't they would not be very good leaders," said Maj. Michael Humphreys, one of the few soldiers here willing to tell journalists some of his opinions on senior leadership.

Support our troops as liberals have done all along and demand accountability and courage from our leaders. Our leaders stay in their fishtanks and direct our soldiers into harms way in war that even Bush admits won't be won during his term. It's heartening to see soldiers doing their jobs and finding ways to express their disapproval for our leaders. They have to be careful, though, or righties will accuse them of supporting the terrorists.

Support our troops. Bring them home. Support Bush and Al Qaida (for different reasons, of course). Leave the troops in Iraq.
  2. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

CNN may be right about how the troops feel, but I hate editorials made to look like news articles.

Also, "Support our troops. Bring them home. Support Bush and Al Qaida (for different reasons, of course). Leave the troops in Iraq" reminds me waaaay too much of the mantras coming from the right (e.g. "either you're with the President, or you're against the troops.")
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  3. mgcolby

mgcolby Woohoo, I'm a VIP!!! PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Do you know how the left can help that Seargent see his wife more?

Stop protesting in front of recruiter's offices, tell the ACLU to stop suing the military for recruiting practices and tell them to stop trying to block recruiting on college campuses. That would be a good start.
  4. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If the military is, as the ACLU alleges, breaking the law by keeping information the law says they can't keep, then the easiest way to stop the suit would be for the military to comply?
  5. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +278 / 10 / -26

Yea, they are the reason he is in Iraq, blame the "Drive By Media", methinks you listen to toooo much Rush... it has nothing to do with the lies of GWB, miscalculations of Rumsfield or any of that stuff.
  6. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Well, you obviously think too much. I don't listen to rush, matter of fact I don't listen to talk radio at all. I don't watch O'Reilly or anyone else, I am not Republican either.

When did the ACLU become the media?
  7. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

I wasn't a recruiter and I have not read the reg. If as they suggest are keeping information that they are legally not allowed to then I would agree with you, in that they should comply. But the other stuff doesn't help either, which brings up more hypocrisy.

The statement from the left that "we support the troops", but they seem to do so in the ways that fit their agenda.
  8. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +562 / 2 / -9

Your not a Republican,
    Colby, no matter how many times you tell a Far Left Sore Losing Liberal Democrat that your are NOT a Republican their mindset is, IF YOUR NOT ONE OF THEM YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN.

I have never registered for either party, I vote for who I like, but if I tell a Democrat that I didn't vote for a Democrat then in their eyes I am a Republican.

If I say I support the Iraqi war but I don't support Bush's Illegal Aliens then to them, I am a republican, If I support the death penalty, I am a Republican, if I say Uncle Teddy walked away from a dying drowning women to cover his own political a ass, then to them I am a Republican.

IF YOU DON'T AGREE WITH THEIR TOUCHY FEEL GOOD SLOBBERING LIBERAL SH!T, THEN TO THEM YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN :bricks:
  9. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +203 / 5 / -6

Yeah, it's true, mgcolby, like the right, the left supports the troops in ways that fit their agenda, but our agenda, we believe, is a more egalitarian, respectful, and compassionate than the agenda of the right.

By the way, my impression is that you're not really that conservative, but are of course loyal to the military. Do you know any left wing or liberal soldiers? How do they manage? They must feel attacked from all sides, even if they're only in the military to further themselves.
  10. mgcolby

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Yes I know a lot of democrats in the Military, not so sure about Liberal. I doubt many far left liberals join the Army. I work with a guy who tends to lean liberal, no one gives him a hard time. But, to be honest I have never asked the Dems, how they manage.
  11. Pujo

Pujo Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it doesn't matter what it registers to vote as.