Le Kevin Smith

Status
Not open for further replies.

patchick

Moderatrix
Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Smith must be the least talked-about of all the Patriots draft picks -- less even than Willie Andrews and some of the UDFAs. The trade for Sullivan should bring him into a little more focus, no?

The backup NT position now looks like a three-way battle among the unpedigreed incumbant Mike Wright who has done everything right so far; the highly pedigreed Jonathan Sullivan who has done everything wrong so far; and a 6th-round draft pick with good athleticism for the position, good leverage and run-stuffing ability but -- stop me if you've heard this before about 300-lb players -- major consistency problems, "takes plays off."

Any insights on Smith? Any prognostications?

Everyone is putting Wright into NT and that is OT the case...Pats Weekly had a blurb last week that Wright was being looked at as Warren's backup..more DE than NT...which means NT would be a SMith vs Sullivan situation. You are right..Smith has been quite under the radar..and again..a few knocks..First, he has had knee injuries in the past (both ACLs in 01)...the second, is inconsistency...but I never have heard that it was a BIG problem.. There has also been a bit of talk that he's NOT a pass rusher and more a run stuffer...seems perfect for a NT here. Like Wilfork, he can also play DE..or DT in a 4-3. I just hope this turns into a solid battle!! But Wright?? DE not NT..

Pats726 said:
Everyone is putting Wright into NT and that is OT the case...Pats Weekly had a blurb last week that Wright was being looked at as Warren's backup..more DE than NT...which means NT would be a SMith vs Sullivan situation. You are right..Smith has been quite under the radar..and again..a few knocks..First, he has had knee injuries in the past (both ACLs in 01)...the second, is inconsistency...but I never have heard that it was a BIG problem.. There has also been a bit of talk that he's NOT a pass rusher and more a run stuffer...seems perfect for a NT here. Like Wilfork, he can also play DE..or DT in a 4-3. I just hope this turns into a solid battle!! But Wright?? DE not NT..

Interesting...in past discussions on Marquise Hill, it's been repeatedly argued that Wright was activated over Hill because he's an NT. If he's really envisioned as a DE, doesn't that look like an even bigger red flag on Hill? Or do you mean that Wright is being transitioned to DE for 2006?

patchick said:
Interesting...in past discussions on Marquise Hill, it's been repeatedly argued that Wright was activated over Hill because he's an NT. If he's really envisioned as a DE, doesn't that look like an even bigger red flag on Hill? Or do you mean that Wright is being transitioned to DE for 2006?

Wright seems to be following the Seymour and Warren path. Spend the first year at NT, and then move out to DE after some experience. He definitely did play more DE towards the end of the year. And unless I was hallucinating, I believe I saw him standing up at linebacker for a few snaps.

patchick said:

My impression was that Wright was the DE who looked most plausible as a back-up nose tackle, given that they had no ideal NT back-up after the Traylor-Kelley episode (read "fiasco"). That doesn't mean that Wright is regarded as a better pure DE than Hill (although he may be: I agree that Hill needs to do something to justify his place on the team pretty soon!)

patchick said:

Well Wright himself has stated he wants to move outside and admits he is not well suited to be a nose. His take on things is that Green as the better backup is therefore Seymour's backup, he was Wilforks backup but he thinks he would be better as Warren's back-up and is working as hard as possible for that slot. That leaves a spot open for Wilforks understudy, which could be Smith, or could be Sulivan. But it does know Hill down another wrung if Wright wins that battle.

patchick said:
And also activated MORE so because of his special teams play...And that was quite big!! Not many can play ST...Wright is fast and can!! I think that was more so than just NT..although he was a backup at DE as well. He was said to have said he wasn't backing up Sey (JGreen's position..) but Warren's..and made that distiction. What does that mean about Hill??? Not sure..

Now that I think of it, during BB's post-draft conference he was talking about Smith, (Le Keeeeevin.....never going to get used to that) and he said something like Smith was similar to Wright in that there's some positional versatility, but Smith was more NT than DE, and Wright was more DE than NT.

Some of the Husker fans on this board like myself have watched LeKevin play for the past 5 years. I was never a big fan of his at first. He was fairly highly recruited out of high school and didn't show much until his junior year (granted that could have been due to injuries). He really seemed to mature his senior year. He almost left early for the NFL last year (I think he was upset about the coaching switch) but made the right decision and stayed to become a major part of one of the more dominant defensive lines we've had at Nebraska (and that is quite a feat in itself). With all that said, I don't remember much about him his freshman and sophmore years and I'm certainly no analyst.

kierkegaard said:
Some of the Husker fans on this board like myself have watched LeKevin play for the past 5 years. I was never a big fan of his at first. He was fairly highly recruited out of high school and didn't show much until his junior year (granted that could have been due to injuries). He really seemed to mature his senior year. He almost left early for the NFL last year (I think he was upset about the coaching switch) but made the right decision and stayed to become a major part of one of the more dominant defensive lines we've had at Nebraska (and that is quite a feat in itself). With all that said, I don't remember much about him his freshman and sophmore years and I'm certainly no analyst.
What can you tell us about him as a player??
More run stopper?? A good work ethic?? Heard he's a bit nasty and tough..good things for a lineman!! 01 two ACLs..both knees...

As you watch more film on Smith, the thing that really stands out is his lack of ability to protect his legs. IF he could master that skill, he could be a servicable backup NT.
Nothing special, but servicable.

Ochmed Jones said:
As you watch more film on Smith, the thing that really stands out is his lack of ability to protect his legs. IF he could master that skill, he could be a servicable backup NT.
Nothing special, but servicable.

Where do you get film on Smith? I'd like to see some myself.

Pats726 said:
What can you tell us about him as a player??
More run stopper?? A good work ethic?? Heard he's a bit nasty and tough..good things for a lineman!! 01 two ACLs..both knees...

He was more of what I would consider a run stuffer. He and Adam Carriker (the strong side end) usually took double teams. Even with the double teams he still had the ability to penetrate.

The one thing you definitly notice about him is his attitude. I didn't like it initially as I thought he was ****y. He is a very excitable player, one of the 2 or 3 guys on our defense that really got everyone pumped up. I'd say he and Wali Muhammad stood out the most in that regard. Of course, early in his career when he'd talk and not really back it up I didn't like it all that much. Once he started pulling his weight (more than his own weight really the last 2 years) I started gaining more respect for him. He definitly carries a chip on his shoulder - though I'm not sure about his nasty streak. I don't recall him getting many flags or anything like that. I've never heard anything bad about his work ethic but I don't recall hearing anything glowing about it either (there may have been, I just don't remember).

kierkegaard said:
He was more of what I would consider a run stuffer. He and Adam Carriker (the strong side end) usually took double teams. Even with the double teams he still had the ability to penetrate.

The one thing you definitly notice about him is his attitude. I didn't like it initially as I thought he was ****y. He is a very excitable player, one of the 2 or 3 guys on our defense that really got everyone pumped up. I'd say he and Wali Muhammad stood out the most in that regard. Of course, early in his career when he'd talk and not really back it up I didn't like it all that much. Once he started pulling his weight (more than his own weight really the last 2 years) I started gaining more respect for him. He definitly carries a chip on his shoulder - though I'm not sure about his nasty streak. I don't recall him getting many flags or anything like that. I've never heard anything bad about his work ethic but I don't recall hearing anything glowing about it either (there may have been, I just don't remember).
Tanks...wasn't saying dirty..but having an attitude to win..strong is what is really good. That he took double teams..not bad.. SOunds like he may be a player!!!!

dryheat44 said:
Wright seems to be following the Seymour and Warren path. Spend the first year at NT, and then move out to DE after some experience. He definitely did play more DE towards the end of the year. And unless I was hallucinating, I believe I saw him standing up at linebacker for a few snaps.
:singing: "Willie" or Won't he? :rolleyes:

Gotta love the name at least.

Headline -
"LeKevin sighted in Mcdonalds eating LeBigMac."

The Sullivan trade is a hit to Smith's shot at the roster. He and Wright would have had a good competition in TC to make the 53-man.

With Sullivan on board, they'll both have an uphill battle. I'd say it looks most likely that Smith is headed for the PS, following an Ethan Kelley model.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes