PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LBs in 06

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew4008

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I was thinking this would be the best case scenario :

Draft an ILB first or second round who can contribute immediately. Then we move Vrabel back outside, and have Colvin at the other OLB spot, and have Bruschi, the rook, and Beisel inside, and McGinest subbing in alot at OLB, moving Vrabel back inside to take over for the rook or Beisel.

So...

OLB - Vrabel/McGinest
ILB - Rookie/Beisel/Vrabel
ILB - Bruschi
OLB - Colvin

No offense, but I just don't follow the reasoning of "draft an ILB in the first or second round who can contribute immediately." First of all, BB isn't likely to want to pay much $$ for this high a draft choice.
He brought in 2 vets (Brown, Beisel) who, nearly a full season later, are still wandering around trying to figure out where they're supposed to be and what they're supposed to be doing in this defense.
Colvin took 3 years to begin to figure it out - another vet.
There is NO quick and easy fix or replacement for LBs in this defensive scheme. We have been running on maybe (wild guess) 1/3 to 1/2 half our defensive playbook this year, and paying for it, because of this lack of experience in this system. Note the immediate improvement when Bruschi returned - we could once again execute the more complex and effective schemes, and the D began to resemble itself again.
You can draft skills, but experience in this system can only be gained one way: snaps. One reason I think the backups did a decent job against Miami is that BB said they got more snaps this week in practice. It showed.
If it takes a vet several years to get his feet under him, how can anyone believe that a rookie can step right in and contribute immediately? The best one might hope for is that they can play special teams and contribute in a specialized role, such as "pass rush only."
Just my $ .02.

If we want to talk about the BEST case scenario, then it's that Tennessee cuts Keith Bulluck in a Salary Cap move, and he takes a bit less than he could earn on the open market to come to New England. And that he brings the 1996 version of his cousin Sandra to head up the cheerleading team.

dryheat44 said:
If we want to talk about the BEST case scenario, then it's that Tennessee cuts Keith Bulluck in a Salary Cap move, and he takes a bit less than he could earn on the open market to come to New England. And that he brings the 1996 version of his cousin Sandra to head up the cheerleading team.
O Baby O Baby O Baby, that would be sweet - Sandra would be okay too! :singing:

dryheat44 said:

dryheat 44 = required reading. I couldn't agree more about making a move to get (either) Bulluck...

As for other 2006 LB options, I, for one, look forward to seeing the IR/redshirted Claridge (sp?). He reminded me of TJ in limited viewing. I do think that an edge rusher will be a high-draft priority. They are rare and expensive, so drafting them makes more sense than FA (Colvin was an exception) - also, like running backs, edge rushers can help early in their careers as 3rd down folk. Rotating with Willie Mac and Rosey next year would be very productive. I feel that Vrabel is inside for the rest of his career - he is that good and is developing into another inside traffic cop.

BB's Mission this offseason

Among the many offseason items on BB's agenda, I feel developing depth in the LB ranks should be on the list. Our current group, when healthy, performs very well. However if one or two of them were to go down, then it gets dicey. Also most of our current group is over 30 years old.

So what do we have in house at the moment.
Beisel. Can he make a quantum leap in year two. Will he ever develop the instincts to play inside for the Pats. We are all rooting for him, but are continually frustrated by his play, or lack thereof. At this point I'm not sure BB gives him a year two to figure it out.
Claridge. Some would think that Claridge is getting a red shirt year and that's a start toward developing depth. But I'm not sure. He was very shaky during training camp and he'll need to make a Beisel type leap in order to stay on the active roster.
Alexander. Two years on the practice squad. He got some experience on the field last season. However he's still raw. Can he make it as a ST demon and then grow into a valuable second stringer.

So what's in the draft.
ILB. There are a few teams out there running the 3-4. Virginia has two ILBs that fit the BB profile. Parham and Brooks. Brooks only played two games this past year. However if healthy, he would be a good fit for us. Parham I like, but he'd need some time, gets caught up in the trash way too much. There may be one or two others that could make our team and contribute.
OLB. BB likes these guys to be tall and athletic. He usually finds tweeners or DE's and he "coaches them up". Plenty of these out there. The trick for BB is to find out which have the least amount of warts.

Free agents/Could be released
Contrary to popular belief, there are guys out there that could step in and play in our defense from day 1. Donnie Edwards played in a 4-3 at KC and slid into the 3-4 very nicely in San Diego. James Farrior was a gift for the Steelers. The important thing is to not reach, ie: Brown. I expect BB to be more aggressive this year in trying to secure his type of LB. I see us getting a LB early in the FA signing period. (Like he did with Colvin.)

In summary I expect us to sign a FA LB that can contribute immediately and I expect us to draft a player. (Must be able to contribute on ST.) I suspect Vrabel in an inside guy for the next couple of years. I do see Willie coming back next year, at a reduced salary. Davis, Brown, and maybe TBC, I suspect they are near the end of their tenure with us.

Ochmed Jones said:
Among the many offseason items on BB's agenda, I feel developing depth in the LB ranks should be on the list. Our current group, when healthy, performs very well. However if one or two of them were to go down, then it gets dicey. Also most of our current group is over 30 years old.

So what do we have in house at the moment.
Beisel. Can he make a quantum leap in year two. Will he ever develop the instincts to play inside for the Pats. We are all rooting for him, but are continually frustrated by his play, or lack thereof. At this point I'm not sure BB gives him a year two to figure it out.
Claridge. Some would think that Claridge is getting a red shirt year and that's a start toward developing depth. But I'm not sure. He was very shaky during training camp and he'll need to make a Beisel type leap in order to stay on the active roster.
Alexander. Two years on the practice squad. He got some experience on the field last season. However he's still raw. Can he make it as a ST demon and then grow into a valuable second stringer.

So what's in the draft.
ILB. There are a few teams out there running the 3-4. Virginia has two ILBs that fit the BB profile. Parham and Brooks. Brooks only played two games this past year. However if healthy, he would be a good fit for us. Parham I like, but he'd need some time, gets caught up in the trash way too much. There may be one or two others that could make our team and contribute.
OLB. BB likes these guys to be tall and athletic. He usually finds tweeners or DE's and he "coaches them up". Plenty of these out there. The trick for BB is to find out which have the least amount of warts.

Free agents/Could be released
Contrary to popular belief, there are guys out there that could step in and play in our defense from day 1. Donnie Edwards played in a 4-3 at KC and slid into the 3-4 very nicely in San Diego. James Farrior was a gift for the Steelers. The important thing is to not reach, ie: Brown. I expect BB to be more aggressive this year in trying to secure his type of LB. I see us getting a LB early in the FA signing period. (Like he did with Colvin.)

In summary I expect us to sign a FA LB that can contribute immediately and I expect us to draft a player. (Must be able to contribute on ST.) I suspect Vrabel in an inside guy for the next couple of years. I do see Willie coming back next year, at a reduced salary. Davis, Brown, and maybe TBC, I suspect they are near the end of their tenure with us.

Bulluck is prolly sick of losing...but never say never on thinking that Beiloi will never draft a certain position player. I once thought that they would never draft an offensive lineman in the high rounds. I guess I was wrong...wasn't I?

It all depends on the value of the pick, and where their draft boards show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back