PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB's and the 4-3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike the Brit said:
Absolutely! The questions are, though: why did they ask him to bulk back up when he really isn't ideal NT material? (that opens the: why did they let Ethan Kelley go? question, to which I think the only answer is that they made a mistake) and, why, if he was still injured, did they keep him on the roster?
Your assuming he was bulked up and put back on the DL because of a problem with his performance. I'd say it was a vote of confidence that he could be the Reserve NT - he certainly played well (actually, he looked better then Wilfork) when he subbed in during the first half of the season. He was also working for a new DC who had his own way of doing things and needed to to some makee learnee of his own. Let's be patient and see what this DC (whom I think will be much sharper out of the gate) has planned for Klecko and the other Lost Boys of the defense.

Mike the Brit said:
Absolutely! The questions are, though: why did they ask him to bulk back up when he really isn't ideal NT material? (that opens the: why did they let Ethan Kelley go? question, to which I think the only answer is that they made a mistake) and, why, if he was still injured, did they keep him on the roster?
Kelly was out of shape..and injured as well. Mistake?? Do not know if that is the case. I always thought he would be a good NT...backup at least and..was it attitude or something like that?? o not know...He seemed like a pretty friendly guy..(Met him a TC on his last day here...asked him when he'd be getting back on the field..said he hoped soon...) Gone the next day.

As far as what they will do in the draft and if they/what they will go for, I expcet them to take at least 2 LBs in the draft...maybe 2 later if not early. I just think when BB goes for something he goes with it with multiple ways...multiple solutions. I don't know about a Klecko conversion...it HAD been talked about a lot..but then last year way before TJ retired, he was headed oin the line. There hasn't been any indication at all what is happening with him..so?? Open point. Not really sure where or who they will draft..so difficult to project...but flexibility is really a key. Guys like Phifer that could be inside/out offer a lot.

Pats726 said:
Kelly was out of shape..and injured as well. Mistake?? Do not know if that is the case. I always thought he would be a good NT...backup at least and..was it attitude or something like that?? o not know...He seemed like a pretty friendly guy..(Met him a TC on his last day here...asked him when he'd be getting back on the field..said he hoped soon...) Gone the next day.

The only way I can figure the release of Traylor is that they thought that they had a cheaper but younger and functional back-up in Kelley. Then they cut Kelley and the Browns said "thank you very much" and signed him, leaving the Pats with, at best, Klecko and Wright to back up Wilfork, neither of them with the build to play 3-4 nose tackle (the Mario Monds experiment hardly lasted -- not surprising, since he was the guy cut to make room for Traylor in Miami).

Either the Pats were wrong to cut Traylor or they thought they'd make a bit of roster room for themselves by cutting and re-signing Kelley after he'd recovered from injury and Romeo spotted their game. That's where my money is.

DaBruinz said:
Still haven't learned how to quote people, I see. However, I am of the same opinion that the 4th starting LB is not currently on the team. I believe it will be the 1st LB that the Pats take. Either in the 1st or 3rd round.

* You are one sensitive fella. I simply asked a question of who you thought the 4th LB would be.

Don't ignore taking the undersized active DL guy for the OLB spot, that what TB and Wille were in college. Perhaps the kids from BC or Hali from PSU.

DaBruinz said:
However, I am of the same opinion that the 4th starting LB is not currently on the team. I believe it will be the 1st LB that the Pats take. Either in the 1st or 3rd round.
What have you got against the 2nd round ? :)

I'm kind of locked in to a LB in the first round at this point. We usually draft for need in the first round. That means LB or WR and in this draft that clearly equals LB. There's a good chance both Carpenter and Greenway will be there for us. And a very good chance one of them will. It seems like a draft made in heaven for a Round 1 LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back