PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB roster expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fencer

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Probably temporarily, we're down to 4 LBs, not counting Ninko & Jones. Thoughts?

I do NOT think this speaks against formations featuring all three of Mayo, Collins and Hightower -- i.e., the 4-3. And I do think Chris White is on speed dial.

I hope Chris White is never on speed dial.

I think the seeming lack of LB's comes due a number of reasons.

1. The flag football nature of the game has diminished the need for LB's in general. Often they are the players taken out when teams go to nickel and dime packages. Guys like Ted Johnson and Brandon Spikes are dinosaurs now, with very limited value, like on SY and GL situations. Even first down is no longer a running down.

2. ST's used to be a big spot for LB's, but not any more. Again partially due to the speed of the game, DB's are taking coverage jobs that used to go to LB's. Also coverage teams are less valued now as fewer and fewer KO's and punts are returned.

3. We tend to dismiss 4-3 DE's like Jones and Ninko when we are taking about LB's, but the fact is that when we are in a 3-4, these guys are often playing LB.

I wouldn't be surprised when the musical chairs stop getting pulled over the next 2 weeks, we probably WILL end up with 5 true LB's. But even if we don't, we might have more LB's than you think, or at least enough for what we need.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one LB make the PS

I agree that the fraction of downs with 3 LBs has fallen below 50%. I'm not sure how far the importance of ST LBs has fallen, however, because I think of punting downs as being the LB-intensive ones more than kickoffs.

I agree that Ninko is fully an LB for ST purposes, but he's been carrying an even tougher load than Roman Phifer (in that he's fighting with big linemen on a lot more downs than Phifer did).

Probably temporarily, we're down to 4 LBs, not counting Ninko & Jones. Thoughts?

I do NOT think this speaks against formations featuring all three of Mayo, Collins and Hightower -- i.e., the 4-3. And I do think Chris White is on speed dial.

I would agree with your thought that we'll definitely be back up to 5 LBs (not including Jones/Nink) by this coming Friday. I'd also agree that at the moment, White is likely on speed dial, or could even be the guy who makes appearances throughout the season in a come/go type of role.

I think the seeming lack of LB's comes due a number of reasons.

1. The flag football nature of the game has diminished the need for LB's in general. Often they are the players taken out when teams go to nickel and dime packages. Guys like Ted Johnson and Brandon Spikes are dinosaurs now, with very limited value, like on SY and GL situations. Even first down is no longer a running down.

2. ST's used to be a big spot for LB's, but not any more. Again partially due to the speed of the game, DB's are taking coverage jobs that used to go to LB's. Also coverage teams are less valued now as fewer and fewer KO's and punts are returned.

3. We tend to dismiss 4-3 DE's like Jones and Ninko when we are taking about LB's, but the fact is that when we are in a 3-4, these guys are often playing LB.

I wouldn't be surprised when the musical chairs stop getting pulled over the next 2 weeks, we probably WILL end up with 5 true LB's. But even if we don't, we might have more LB's than you think, or at least enough for what we need.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised to see more than one LB make the PS

So in your opinion, should we start using a new subcategory of LBs in discussions and move a few of our DL from the DL(DE) category over there?

1. DL
--DT
--DE
2. LB
--OLB
--MLB
--Hybrid/DE
3. DBs
--a. CBs (true/slot)
-- b. S (strong/free)

-Another thought: Browner although listed as a CB; with his physicality and the likely implementation (hitting/disrupting TEs coming out) could very well be considered like a coverage LB as well. But he isnt there til game 5; so doesnt increase the depth initially either.

I count 7 in a 3-4 base
Mayo
Collins
Hightower
Nink
Chandler
Buchanan
Fleming

I think that's a good rotation and depth.

The next thread should be who are the the 3 DLine
I'm intrigued by Moore and wondering if Vince will play Tackle instead of Nose

I love Mayo-Hightower-Collins-Fleming. Ninkovich clearly has the ability to play a variety of LB roles as well. I'm fine with Jones and Buchanan standing up at times, but I don't really consider them LBs - they are hybrid edge defenders. I'd like to add one more LB, preferably with more range and coverage ability. James Anderson would have been perfect if he had worked out.

I count 7 in a 3-4 base
Mayo
Collins
Hightower
Nink
Chandler
Buchanan
Fleming

I think that's a good rotation and depth.

The next thread should be who are the the 3 DLine
I'm intrigued by Moore and wondering if Vince will play Tackle instead of Nose

The feeling that I am getting is that any player can play any position. For example, Hightower & Collings can play MLB, OLB, DE. VW has also lined up in a 3-4 on nose or end. He has also played 4-3 at DT.

It'll be fascinating to see all the different alignments and positional combinations that will be implemented by BB.

We're likely to see what we saw last year but more of it, namely, Belichick making roster adjustments at the end of the week. He effectively increases his roster size to 58 or so by adding and releasing players that he does not expect to be picked up but fill a specific role for the upcoming game. By releasing a player later in the week, it reduces the chances that another team may pick him up since the gameplan including players is set. Then he swoops in early the following week to re-sign that same player.
Does anyone think there isn't a long snapper (Aiken is my guess) at the facility in for a "tryout" right now?
My guess is that he figured there was a greater chance of one of his young OL getting picked up if released compared to Chris White. Or, we see one of the recent DL acquisitions getting released in a few days to pick up a LS and ILB and then cut again early next week or some other week.

No team does this to the extent of Belichick probably because no team has the stones to pull this off.

I think that between the increased use of the 3-4 and we being in sub packages 60% of the time the team will only use 2 true LBs at least 80% of the time. With that in mind you have a 3 man rotation of Mayo, Collins, and Hightower, which is great rotation, look at San Francisco they only use Willis and Bowman, Seattle had Irvin at LB who is more of a DE.

When there are 4 DBS on the field (aside from plays off to get a rest) I expect ALL of jones nink Hightower mayo and Collins to be on the field with 2 large men.
Call it 43 or 34 that doesn't matter but jones and nink are doing the job of a 43 de.

There doesnt seem to be anyway that they can stay with this little LB depth, I expect that it wont last. Even if they move Nink and Jones to 3-4 OLB some of the time they need to have more depth

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes