PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Rolando McClain wins Butkus Award

I wouldn't worry too much about mocks right now. Pittsburgh taking McClain is always a possibility. The Steelers are too smart not to be a potential candidate for someone like him.

Right now McClain's stock is at a high. He's coming off a huge win against Florida and a great game, where his talents both at his position and as a leader were showcased. He won the Butkus Award. And now he's suddenly becoming a popular top 15, possibly top 10 pick. There are rumors that KC might take him even over Eric Berry.

It could happen. But there's lots of time between now and the draft. McClain is a junior, so (assuming he comes out, which is likely, especially if Alabama wins the National Championship, but not certain) he won't get to play in the post-season bowl games. And I don't think he's going to be the same kind of workout warrior at the combine that Aaron Curry was. He's just not as fast as Curry. And I expect a lot of workout warriors at the combine - Carlos Dunlap, Taylor Mays, Joe Haden, Jason Pierre-Paul, Bruce Campbell, Sergio Kindle, and others.

He's a certain 1st round pick. Certain top 10 is another thing, however, especially for an ILB. McClain will likely slip back a few spots, hopefully at least to within trade-up range.

If I were the Steelers, I would want to upgrade my secondary in a very bad way first, second upgrade the horrible O line that is getting Rottenburger killed and third find a replacement for Casey Hampton who has looked old this season.
But McClain would make an excellent replacement for Farrier. Fortunately **** Lebeau likes shorter players in his version of the 3-4, not a lot of overlap with BB prefers length 3-4 guys. Plus there is chatter that if Lebeau retires, Tomlin will switch the Steelers to a 4-3 which means they will need DT's in a bad way.

I have said all along that BB needs to trade up into the 10-14 range to get McClain. Any team that drafts McClain earlier than that is forgetting the 1st rule of drafting: Outside of the QB, games are won and lost in the lines; which means they are over drafting McClain.

I would love to see an all alabama day one draft:

NT - Mount Cody (I am still assuming Wilfork goes to elsewhere this offseason)
ILB - McClain (I am OK will an expensive trade up, even if it includes our 2011 1st round pick.)
OG - Johnson (How many yards did Ingram get behind this kid?)

Last edited:
If I were the Steelers, I would want to upgrade my secondary in a very bad way first, second upgrade the horrible O line that is getting Rottenburger killed and third find a replacement for Casey Hampton who has looked old this season.
But McClain would make an excellent replacement for Farrier. Fortunately **** Lebeau likes shorter players in his version of the 3-4, not a lot of overlap with BB prefers length 3-4 guys. Plus there is chatter that if Lebeau retires, Tomlin will switch the Steelers to a 4-3 which means they will need DT's in a bad way.

I have said all along that BB needs to trade up into the 10-14 range to get McClain. Any team that drafts McClain earlier than that is forgetting the 1st rule of drafting: Outside of the QB, games are won and lost in the lines; which means they are over drafting McClain.

I would love to see an all alabama day one draft:

NT - Mount Cody (I am still assuming Wilfork goes to elsewhere this offseason)
ILB - McClain (I am OK will an expensive trade up, even if it includes our 2011 1st round pick.)
OG - Johnson (How many yards did Ingram get behind this kid?)

I like Cody, but again, assuming we keep Wilfork I just can't see taking Cody at this point unless he slips to the 2nd round. I'm fine with a 3 man DL of Warren, Cody and Wilfork if Cody is somehow available in the 2nd round, but I can't see trading up for both McClain and Cody. If Wilfork is franchised and traded, then I can easily see drafting Cody as his repalcement. I also think Dan Williams from Tennessee is an option.

I'm happy to trade up for McClain at this point, as far as the #10 pick. If he goes higher than that, I think the cost starts to become prohibitive. Everyone's jumping on the McClain bandwagon right now after the Butkus award and the SEC championship game, but I think he will slip back to the 10-15 range. Unless KC takes him I doubt he would go before Denver (from Chicago) or San Francisco.

I'd be happy with Mike Johnson as one of several guard prospects in the late 2nd/early 3rd round. He's a very tough kid. I'd prefer someone a bit bigger myself like Mike Iupati/Gabe Carimi/Vlad Ducasse, but Johnson is definitely in the mix.

I like Cody, but again, assuming we keep Wilfork I just can't see taking Cody at this point unless he slips to the 2nd round. I'm fine with a 3 man DL of Warren, Cody and Wilfork if Cody is somehow available in the 2nd round, but I can't see trading up for both McClain and Cody. If Wilfork is franchised and traded, then I can easily see drafting Cody as his repalcement. I also think Dan Williams from Tennessee is an option.

I'm happy to trade up for McClain at this point, as far as the #10 pick. If he goes higher than that, I think the cost starts to become prohibitive. Everyone's jumping on the McClain bandwagon right now after the Butkus award and the SEC championship game, but I think he will slip back to the 10-15 range. Unless KC takes him I doubt he would go before Denver (from Chicago) or San Francisco.

I'd be happy with Mike Johnson as one of several guard prospects in the late 2nd/early 3rd round. He's a very tough kid. I'd prefer someone a bit bigger myself like Mike Iupati/Gabe Carimi/Vlad Ducasse, but Johnson is definitely in the mix.

I think if someone moves Carimi to OG; he could be an absolute beast.

I wouldn't trade our whole draft for McClain. But he's my #1 prospect for the Pats right now, and I unless the cost is really exorbitant I think we need to find a way to get him.
I agree. He's got everything to be a great player playing for an NFL system like we run. I mean when production, size, instincts, longevity, and brains are all mixed in together it's an absolute no-brainer. The only possible question mark I have on him is his wear and tear on his body. He's been playing and taking on OGs and blowing up plays it seems for years now.

He's like a really big and durable Clayton Weishuhn. Does anyone remember him? Great player whose play was brilliant even if his knees were brittle. Having McClain lined up next to Mayo reminds me of Weishuhn and Steve Nelson. Those two for a while were tackling machines, with Weishuhn frankly playing the better of the two.

Clayton Weishuhn plays linebacker brilliantly for the - 07.04.83 - SI Vault

I'm having a tingle just thinking about him next to Mayo. That's all there is to it.

Ditto on moving up to grab McClain (insert ten years of "Diehard" references here).

It would double the Pats defense by moving McClain to the Strong side backer (or the Mike) and moving Mayo back to the weak side backer where he and his speed can excel.

The Pats have plenty of young guys in the secondary, and I don't see a "shut down" corner in this draft (maybe the Seymour pick next year). But moving one of those 2nd round picks along with our first to maybe San Fran (who should have picks 10 & 11) to grab McClain would be great. Every mock draft I've seen lately has the Broncos grabbing him up with the Bears pick, the Pats may have to trade with the Broncos or get ahead of them, if they want McClain.

Attachments

• welcome-to-the-party-pal.jpg
    welcome-to-the-party-pal.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 2,520

The way things are playing out right now, Kansas City is going to have a pick at 3 or 4, which is too high to take McClain. Not that Scott Pioli won't hesitate to take whoever he believes is the best value, but I think with needs elsewhere he'll tend to take someone like OT Russell Okung or a blue chip playmaker like Eric Berry, unless he is able to trade back, which will be difficult. Probably his best option would be trading back from 3 to around 9-11 with someone who wants to target Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy, and then taking McClain around 9-11. I can't see McClain being a particular fit for any of the other top 5 teams (St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay or Washington), and top 5 is too high for him, anyway.

The other teams likely to be picking in the bottom half of the top 10 (4-11 Cleveland, 5-10 Seattle, and 5-10 Buffalo) aren't really likely to target McClain. Except for Cleveland they don't play the 3-4, and the need for a 4-3 SAM isn't high enough to warrant taking McClain over other guys. Cleveland will probably be picking in the 5-7 range, which still seems high for McClain, and they need to resolve their QB situation.

The result of all this will likely push McClain down to the 10-15 range, within trade-up. Chicago's victory over Minnesota last night puts them at 6-9, with one game left against Detroit. That's going to push Denver's pick into the 10-15 range. Similarly, SF is going to finish either 9-7 or 8-8, and Carolina (who's 1st round pick is owned by SF) is giong to finsih either 7-9 or 8-8, so the 49ers will probably have 2 picks between 12 and 18. Miami will also finish 7-9 or 8-8, again, probably in the 12-16 range. Those are the 3 teams who I think are most likely to take McClain. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will finish either 9-7 or 8-8, probably drafting in the 15-20 range. Depending on how next week's games pan out, a bunch of teams are gonig to be clustered betweent7-9 and 9-7 range picking between 10 and 20.

There's no reason we can't trade up to the 10-15 range to target McClain if we want to. Especially if we lose against Houston next week and finish 10-6, we will probably pick around 21-23 (unless we get to the Super Bowl), so a 10 pick trade up is not that exorbitant. Everyone else who might want McClain (Arizona as a repacement for Karlos Dansby, Green Bay to anchor the middle of their 3-4, Cincinnati to play at SAM next to Maualuga and Rivers, San Diego to anchor their 3-4) will be picking in the 20's or higher, and none have as much trade ammo as we do.

The way things are playing out right now, Kansas City is going to have a pick at 3 or 4, which is too high to take McClain. Not that Scott Pioli won't hesitate to take whoever he believes is the best value, but I think with needs elsewhere he'll tend to take someone like OT Russell Okung or a blue chip playmaker like Eric Berry, unless he is able to trade back, which will be difficult. Probably his best option would be trading back from 3 to around 9-11 with someone who wants to target Oklahoma DT Gerald McCoy, and then taking McClain around 9-11. I can't see McClain being a particular fit for any of the other top 5 teams (St. Louis, Detroit, Tampa Bay or Washington), and top 5 is too high for him, anyway.

The other teams likely to be picking in the bottom half of the top 10 (4-11 Cleveland, 5-10 Seattle, and 5-10 Buffalo) aren't really likely to target McClain. Except for Cleveland they don't play the 3-4, and the need for a 4-3 SAM isn't high enough to warrant taking McClain over other guys. Cleveland will probably be picking in the 5-7 range, which still seems high for McClain, and they need to resolve their QB situation.

The result of all this will likely push McClain down to the 10-15 range, within trade-up. Chicago's victory over Minnesota last night puts them at 6-9, with one game left against Detroit. That's going to push Denver's pick into the 10-15 range. Similarly, SF is going to finish either 9-7 or 8-8, and Carolina (who's 1st round pick is owned by SF) is giong to finsih either 7-9 or 8-8, so the 49ers will probably have 2 picks between 12 and 18. Miami will also finish 7-9 or 8-8, again, probably in the 12-16 range. Those are the 3 teams who I think are most likely to take McClain. Pittsburgh and Baltimore will finish either 9-7 or 8-8, probably drafting in the 15-20 range. Depending on how next week's games pan out, a bunch of teams are gonig to be clustered betweent7-9 and 9-7 range picking between 10 and 20.

There's no reason we can't trade up to the 10-15 range to target McClain if we want to. Especially if we lose against Houston next week and finish 10-6, we will probably pick around 21-23 (unless we get to the Super Bowl), so a 10 pick trade up is not that exorbitant. Everyone else who might want McClain (Arizona as a repacement for Karlos Dansby, Green Bay to anchor the middle of their 3-4, Cincinnati to play at SAM next to Maualuga and Rivers, San Diego to anchor their 3-4) will be picking in the 20's or higher, and none have as much trade ammo as we do.

I think Holgren is going to hire his own coach and Cleveland will be a 4-3 team next season. If DT McCoy falls into their lap, they would be foolish to pass on him, even for a QB.

I think if McClain goes before the 10 to 14 range, then someone has overdrafted him.

I think if McClain goes before the 10 to 14 range, then someone has overdrafted him.

I agree with you. McClain a blue chip talent but a top 15 player because of his position. It's chic to have him a top 10 pick in a lot of mocks recently, and even top 5 in some, but I expect him to slip back to within trading range, if the FO is so inclined.

Micah Johnson of Kentucky is similar to him. Maybe he just isn't as well noticed because Kentucky isn't as good.

Especially if we lose against Houston next week and finish 10-6, we will probably pick around 21-23 (unless we get to the Super Bowl), so a 10 pick trade up is not that exorbitant.

Unfortunately, thanks to the Chargers, that rule changed this year. Now the 12 playoff teams are guaranteed slots 21-32, with slots 21-30 determined by playoff exit (Wild Card weekend 21-24, Divisional round 25-28, championships 29-30).

If McClain is worth a top 10 pick, then someone will trade up a draft him in the top 10.

I suspect that he is this year's Curry.

Last edited:
I woudnt make the trade up personally

I would rather see us go after Iuapati in the first, and then a couple of DE/OLB's in the 2nd. I suspect the other 2nd will be traded into 2011

Protecting Brady is the NUMBER ONE priority on this team. Give him time and space (in the same way Indy and NO give Manning/Brees) and we win football matches

If Brady is on his back all year and hurt it doesnt matter who's playing defense

We got Mayo as a high pick ILB a while back and I cant see BB doing that again

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back