PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB Peter Sirmon still available - Turns down Cardinals offer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that those player weights in profiles don't change year to year. He's 6'2", are we sure he's still 237 after 7 years in the league?
Nope, but without digging into Tennessee's archives he's listed at a pretty standard weight for their 4-3 defensive scheme. Not that I'd get too excited over a LB who remains available this deep into Free Agency...

Here's a nice little blurb I found while looking for something else.

"Like Bulluck, Sirmon has been a mainstay for the Titans over the past six seasons. Yet, last season Sirmon’s production was down, as he was still recovering from the ACL injury that kept him out of the entire 2004 schedule. Prior to sustaining the injury in the ’04 training camp, Sirmon had been an extremely reliable linebacker during the 2002 and 2003 seasons.

Sirmon amassed impressive totals last season, but his 89 tackles was a significant dip from the statistics he recorded during the previous two seasons. However, head coach Jeff Fisher expects that with Bulluck and Thornton now surrounding him, Sirmon can become an even better player than he was prior to his injury.

“This off-season has really helped him [Sirmon],” Fisher said. “Last year he focused on just rehabbing the knee. Now he can dwell on the quickness and change of direction. He’s doing much better.”

An outside linebacker throughout his career, Sirmon’s shift to middle linebacker this season will accommodate Thornton’s impressive speed along the sideline. Fisher is confident that Sirmon will adapt well to play in the middle of the field.

“He [Sirmon] doesn’t have any problem with that [switching to middle line backer],” Fisher said, “He knows the defense better than most of the defensive staff.”"

http://www.titansonline.com/news/newsmain_detail.php?PRKey=3867

Though I don't know nuthin about Patriots linebacker choices, this looks intriguing to me. Versatility, smarts........

Last edited:
Apparently, he's already gained three pounds.:rofl:

NFL.com - Peter Sirmon

59 Peter Sirmon. Position: MLB Height: 6-2 Weight: 237 Born: 02/18/1977 College: Oregon NFL Experience: 8. Tennessee Titans ...
www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/

NFL.com # 59 Peter Sirmon

59 Peter Sirmon Other Linebackers|Team Roster. Height: 6-2 Weight: 240 Born: 02/18/1977 College: Oregon NFL Experience: 3 ...
www.nfl.com/players/

Nope, but without digging into Tennessee's archives he's listed at a pretty standard weight for their 4-3 defensive scheme. Not that I'd get too excited over a LB who remains available this deep into Free Agency...

Apparently he turned down an offer from the Cardinals. That either means he wants to hang 'em up or he thinks he can play somewhere decent.

And we're not talking Adalius Thomas excited, more like Barry Gardner excited.

Still, I know more about the science of cold fusion than I do about what the Pats plans for linebacker depth are.

Apparently he turned down an offer from the Cardinals. That either means he wants to hang 'em up or he thinks he can play somewhere decent.

Still, I know more about the science of cold fusion than I do about what the Pats plans for linebacker depth are.
Oh good, I've need some help with cold fusion...isn't that the process Coors brags about in their ads?

Oh good, I've need some help with cold fusion...isn't that the process Coors brags about in their ads?

Wouldn't know about that.

I think it was a band with Johnny "Guitar" Watson and Chick Corea.

*Lobs in obscure musical pun and retreads from thread*

Last edited:
IIRC this guy had long-snapping skills coming out of Oregon, like David Thomas.

The Pats should look at Sirmon, the same way they should look at Chris Brown.

The problem with this approach to linebackers is special teams. If the Pats took some Day One linebackers over the past five years, they could work them in on special teams - their size/speed ratios enable them to excel on special teams coverage and blocking teams - while they learn the defense.

Instead, by ignoring linebacker, they are forced to consider the trade-offs between older linebackers who are much better on defense (Seau, Sirmon) or older special teams players who cannot contribute to the base defense (Izzo, Mitchell).

There is no question Sirmon would be an upgrade over Alexander or Mays. He's also about 10 years younger than Seau. However, he'll probably contribute little to special teams. Alexander and Mays, if active, can provide good ST play.

There is another apple that might be plucked out there. Kevin Burnett from the Cowboys wants out. Plays weak side right now but is 6' 3" and 240. Had like 38 tackles last year mostly on speacial teams and spot service with 1 sack and 1 INT. Can play ILB. He's 25 years old and they have no room for him. They drafted Spencer from Pitt.
He's got the size, Can he play? CAN HE BE GOTTEN?
DW Toys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back