Welcome to PatsFans.com

LB Jon Beason to be worked out by the Pats (merged)

Discussion in 'Patriots Draft Talk' started by Isaac, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac

Isaac Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Beason injured at combine

Just heard Jon Beason on sirius radio. Apparently he was injured by some machine at the combine that is used to measure the hamstring/quad ratio (or something like that). He ran a 4.72 40 and was quite upset by that, saying that in training he was consistently a 4.55 (I know, self-reported 40 times are notorious, just passing this along). Anyway, he plans to re-run at the Miami Pro Day.

Otherwise he seemed like a pretty cool guy.

Thought this might be of interest since some are mocking Beason to the Patriots as an athletic LB, but that 40 time was on the high side.

2. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Re: Beason injured at combine

Beason weighed in at 229 for the Pro-Day, his hammy is still sore so he didn't run. If he can run under 4.6 I'd like to know how he was in coverage and consider him for SS.

3. Ochmed Jones

Ochmed Jones Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +86 / 5 / -1

#12 Jersey

The Penn State LB, Shaw is on the smallish size but ran really well. If he has even the slightest coverage ability, he might make an interesting SS project.

4. patsfaninpa

patsfaninpa In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +288 / 11 / -3

PSU tried him at safety before moving him to lb. I don't think he can play there in the pros. He's 6'1 1/2" 236lbs. I think he can become a situational
    lb. He actually played stand-up de this year. Wouldn't be great at the point of attack. But, on 3rd down he could be effective in coverage or blitzing.

5. kas

kas Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I see him as a great fit. He's a little small, but then you have to look at his skills:

-He has great hand technique. This IMO is the most important skill needed to succeed as a LB in this defense. He played DE this year, so you know he's able to fend off bigger blockers using leverage, great lower body strength, and hand play to keep their hands off of him.

-He is a great tackler. Every scouting report talks about how sure a tackler he is. He hits with power, but most importantly is a very sure wrap-up player.

-He has very good instincts and, most importantly, plays a disciplined game. He doesn't overrun the play and is always in control. This is also important for our D. No freelancers here.

I could definitely see this guy coming in and filling in at ILB and being very successful. IMO I could really see BB reaching a bit for this guy who's been productive his whole career against great competition and has been willing to be a team player.

6. VJCPatriot

VJCPatriot Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +66 / 1 / -4

Except he's too small, short, and apparently slow now. If you want a small guy might as well go for a really good one like Buster Davis on day 2.

7. kas

kas Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I was talking about Penn ST LB Tim Shaw (6'1, 240). Beason, IMO, isn't a great fit. I don't think he's physical enough for a smaller backer. But I've been wrong before...

8. The_Dragon

The_Dragon Practice Squad Player

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

The Patriots are scheduled to put University of Miami linebacker Jon Beason through a private workout today in South Florida.

Beason, a projected first-round pick, is considered one of the most athletic linebackers in the NFL Draft.

At 6-feet, 236 pounds, he is not as big as Mississippi's Patrick Willis and Michigan's David Harris, who are considered traditional "mike" linebackers for a 3-4 defense. A team captain at Miami, Beason spoke last month at the NFL Combine about the possibility of playing in a 3-4.

“I think it would be a challenge, because at UM we run a 4-3. I talked to some scouts and coaches and they see me as a 'mike', an inside backer in a 3-4," he said. "I don’t think it would be that different. It’s still a two-gap responsibility, so it’s a lot like what I do at 'will'.”

Beason is represented by Marty Magid of MRM Sports & Entertainment, LLC, which is based in Conshohocken, Pa.

9. Handel

Handel Third String But Playing on Special Teams

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Per Reiss

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

Beason gets look

The Patriots are scheduled to put University of Miami linebacker Jon Beason through a private workout today in South Florida.

Beason, a projected first-round pick, is considered one of the most athletic linebackers in the NFL Draft.

At 6-feet, 236 pounds, he is not as big as Mississippi's Patrick Willis and Michigan's David Harris, who are considered traditional "mike" linebackers for a 3-4 defense. A team captain at Miami, Beason spoke last month at the NFL Combine about the possibility of playing in a 3-4.

“I think it would be a challenge, because at UM we run a 4-3. I talked to some scouts and coaches and they see me as a 'mike', an inside backer in a 3-4," he said. "I don’t think it would be that different. It’s still a two-gap responsibility, so it’s a lot like what I do at 'will'.”

Beason is represented by Marty Magid of MRM Sports & Entertainment, LLC, which is based in Conshohocken, Pa.

10. PATSNUTme

PATSNUTme Paranoid Homer Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +447 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

11. mavfan2390

mavfan2390 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Re: LB Jon Beason to be worked out by the Pats

Meh, I'd personally rather have Lawrence Timmons.

12. Box_O_Rocks

Box_O_Rocks PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0

Having read his scouting report on NFLDraftScout, I now see he was both a SS and LB in High School and isn't too bad in coverage. The primary knock on him at ILB is still his size and the scouting report doesn't think he can pack much more meat on that frame. The big plus from what I can see, he plays like another Bruschi, sliding around the OL blockers to make the plays.

13. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +447 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

Maybe this Beason thread could be merged with the other Beason thread. Then we would have one totally awesome Beason thread. just like the Willis thread. :rocker:

14. ayjackson

ayjackson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Isn't that what Mods do?

15. PATSNUTme

Ratings:
    +447 / 4 / -1

#75 Jersey

Yes, a mod on this forum would do that. But, I'm not a mod on this forum.

16. ayjackson

ayjackson Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

gotcha! my bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.