PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

LB depth chart

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need an LB that is too short, too small and sucks at tackling, because that's what everyone said Lavonte David and Zach Brown were.

Well there are 3 components to assembling a roster were are at the start of phase 1. We still have more free agency before and after the draft and trades. We need 1 or more LB's. I would however point out that we are running in nickle and dime sub packages > half the snaps. I also suspect we may be running more 4 man fronts, both these reduce the number of LB snaps.

Not too worried about LBs. But who plays safety next to DMAc? Harmon? Maybe the Pats can draft Ha Ha?

We ran lots of 4-3 and sub last year. We had two solid subs: Collins and Fletcher. We needed both. Collins replaces Spikes as a starter. We still need two subs. One can be a special teams player as Fletcher would have been without the two injuries.

Well there are 3 components to assembling a roster were are at the start of phase 1. We still have more free agency before and after the draft and trades. We need 1 or more LB's. I would however point out that we are running in nickle and dime sub packages > half the snaps. I also suspect we may be running more 4 man fronts, both these reduce the number of LB snaps.

I believe we ran the most snaps in subs this year than ever before, at something in the middle 60 percent range--or approx. 2/3. I was a bit surprised to see that it was quite the high, as I expected something in the mid 50 percent range instead.

Even so, as mgteich points out, we'll need at least one/two LBs from now until the start of the season, with the probability of having many more than that brought in for TC.

Not too worried about LBs. But who plays safety next to DMAc? Harmon? Maybe the Pats can draft Ha Ha?

I wouldn't be remotely surprised if the position of safety wasn't addressed in the draft again within the top 3-4 rounds at worst. As you said, there's basically nothing there at the present moment outside of DMcC and Harmon.

What do you guys think of Collins replacing Hightower in the sub? As the bigger LB Hightower seems the logical guy to sit during the nickel

We ran lots of 4-3 and sub last year. We had two solid subs: Collins and Fletcher. We needed both. Collins replaces Spikes as a starter. We still need two subs. One can be a special teams player as Fletcher would have been without the two injuries.

u6y4used.jpg

Ha Ha is a FS. At SS, I like Craig Loston and Isaiah Lewis. Both round 3 and later guys.

I wish I could be as optimistic -- I see this as a clear and major need.

Mayo, Collins and Hightower are the only LBs on the roster who I see as locks to be playing in the NFL this year. And a speedy coverage LB is a key missing piece for flexibility in game planning. (Notice that the FAs they've shown interest in were the smaller, faster kind, while they let Dane Fletcher seek greener pastures.)

If they're looking for "smaller and faster," I'm not sure Jordan Tripp is much of an upgrade over Fletcher.

I think it was quite simply that with Mayo, a first-round draft pick, and a second-round draft pick at the position, that there was only so much they were willing to offer Fletcher, and he found a team willing to pay him a lot more. If Fletcher hadn't found a better offer, I believe they would have welcomed him back with open arms.

there was only so much they were willing to offer Fletcher, and he found a team willing to pay him a lot more. If Fletcher hadn't found a better offer, I believe they would have welcomed him back with open arms.

I would think that you're probably right with this thinking. Fletcher had proven to be just fine in spot duty, and even had the potential to start when needed.

We all would have liked to have him back, but the price was likely just too steep for Belichick's liking, I'm guessing.

Did you ever think that maybe Brandon Browner will be converted to safety? It would not be the first time Bill Belichick converted a collegiate cornerback to safety, Devin McCourty and Eugene Wilson are two examples.

From all the reports I've been reading about Browner it seems his strength is playing press coverage, and is poor in zone. Would rule out playing safety for me.

Arthur Moats? Besides that possibility I'm guessing we'll get a couple in the draft/udfas

Moats is likely heading to Cleveland to join his former DC & position coach there.

Exactly. The entire process is what? 4 or 5 months long and we are but a handful of days into it. I know that the first week of FA is the time for the big name, big splash purchases that put bunches of fans on a pseudo chemical high, however, relative quality can/will still be had. Even with the obvious changes the draft will bring to the roster, the Patriots' roster still, likely, will not be set. Trades, cuts, unknowns will come into the mix.

On the specific subject of LB depth, I see it as a fairly obvious need (though BB isn't exactly known for following conventional wisdom). Mayo is the man, so the middle is solid. While Hightower and Collins provide good reason for optimism, I think the jury remains out to some degree. Further, Injury is a certainty, unfortunately. So I see, at minimum, serviceable LB(s) being needed for injury depth not to mention some sub flexibility.

To this depth point, and I may be off base on this, I think Vince's status (health and roster status) affects this equation. If Vince/Patriots get things worked out and he stays, we look largely good on the DL and Secondary (not perfectly set but looking pretty good). Whatever cap $$$ are available that BB has 'generally' allotted for defense, I hope the priority for that $$ is LB (with the draft as the equation wildcard). But if Vince is gone, we have got to, please!, make DT a priority. Put another way, with Vince gone we are currently/as of now one Kelly twisted ankle away from a repeat of the 2013 DT rotation :bricks:).

Ha Ha is a FS. At SS, I like Craig Loston and Isaiah Lewis. Both round 3 and later guys.

Pats don't play the traditional FS/SS. And if they did Adrian and Tavon Wilson can play the in the box safety role.

Couple of players I would worth a look in my opinion –

- Pat Angerer
- Desmond Bishop
- Jonathan Vilma
- Erin Henderson

The first 3 are IR bodies worthy only of non-guaranteed one-year minimums, and Henderson
- on the street because of his DUI arrests - will probably sign for the vet minimum in Tampa
before signing for the vet minimum here.

The LBs I would rather sign are Stephen Nicholas, James Mr. Anderson or Akeem Jordan.

We need an LB that is too short, too small and sucks at tackling, because that's what everyone said Lavonte David and Zach Brown were.

Or, to be more accurate, that's what Bill said.

I would think that you're probably right with this thinking. Fletcher had proven to be just fine in spot duty, and even had the potential to start when needed.

We all would have liked to have him back, but the price was likely just too steep for Belichick's liking, I'm guessing.

Bill finds a one-year $2M contract for Fletch too steep, yet finds the cash to over-pay for Browner and especially LaFell? Penny-wise but pound foolish, again.

While I agree that LB depth is definitely an issue, I would say it falls behind the need for a DT, a Center, and a TE. All three of those positions need starters to fill them.

Heck, even the 2nd safety spot and 3rd DE are spots to worry about.

Those are a lot of holes in this defense and in the team.

Now, as for LB, they need a backup run stuffer and a backup coverage LB. So, two backups. Either go cheap in FA or later rounds in the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back