Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lawsuit seeks to take 'so help me God' out of inaugural

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Dec 31, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I'm all for separation of church and state, but the PC police are again trying to go to far.

Lawsuit seeks to take 'so help me God' out of inaugural - CNN.com

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A number of atheists and non-religious organizations want Barack Obama's inauguration ceremony to leave out all references to God and religion.
    President-elect Barack Obama will use the Bible Abraham Lincoln used for his inauguration.

President-elect Barack Obama will use the Bible Abraham Lincoln used for his inauguration.

In a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Washington, the plaintiffs demand that the words "so help me God" not be added to the end of the president's oath of office.

In addition, the lawsuit objects to plans for ministers to deliver an invocation and a benediction in which they may discuss God and religion.

An advance copy of the lawsuit was posted online by Michael Newdow, a California doctor and lawyer who has filed similar and unsuccessful suits over inauguration ceremonies in 2001 and 2005.

Joining Newdow in the suit are groups advocating religious freedom or atheism, including the American Humanist Association, the Freedom from Religion Foundation and atheist groups from Minnesota; Seattle, Washington; and Florida.

The new lawsuit says in part, "There can be no purpose for placing 'so help me God' in an oath or sponsoring prayers to God, other than promoting the particular point of view that God exists."

2. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +374 / 11 / -28

That will go a long way, another frivolous law suit.. maybe then can join with the Birth certificate truthers...

3. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I believe your right. Birth certificate does BO have to show that at the inaguration before he gets sworn in. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2008
  4. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

He won't be able to, he can't find it........:singing:

5. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I used to hear that phrase from my father a lot....usually followed by, "You'll be sorry if I have to come over there!"

6. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

If they ever changed the presidential oath to please these people....

SO HELP ME GOD! :D

7. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +539 / 6 / -2

How's that inch, mile thing go again?

8. scout

scout Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

All we are asking for, is if the U.S. Mint and Federal Reserve would just drop a few lines.....

9. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

The God references are more of a symbolic thing than they are religious references in todays government. The White House, state capitols all have God references from the past. It's who we are and where we came from. As a nation of religious tolerence and respect the symbolism is harmless and insignificant except to those that value it. God except to athiests could be any God ... it's a secular God not a spiritual God. Until the day comes that we elect an athiest POTUS I don't see it going away anytime soon.

10. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,067 / 9 / -19

#87 Jersey

George Bush might be interested in a few lines in a few weeks.;)

11. PatsFanInVa

PatsFanInVa PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

On the religious right, I believe it goes "Give 'em an inch, and they take both." But that's only when they're talking about sex.

PFnV

12. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

Presidential oath...that's funny!
    We haven't had a president take that oath seriously since Ike.

13. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

When stuff like this comes up I think of the little Jewish boy who didn't take Math seriously until he was sent to Catholic school. Seeing a guy nailed to a plus sign in every room in the building convinced the lad to bear down in Math class. He stayed Jewish religion-wise, and went on to a very rewarding career as an Aeronautical Engineer.

Sure the oath as spoken is a technical infringement on the 1st Amendment IMO, but if it brings meaning to the person taking the oath and comfort in those watching, its minor.

14. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

Pretty much in agreement. It would be great if they DID get God out of the various government oaths, since he doesn't belong in them in the first place. I believe in the ancient Jewish theocracy, which so many Christians harken back to selectively in support of some of their less contemporary-spirited beliefs, only defendents in courts were made to swear oaths by the name of God.

But you know how these things are. You can't win a "so help me God" suit you just thought of bringing three weeks before the inaugural.

PFnV

15. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

Personally, it's about tradition to me. I don't want tiny groups of Americans who have issues with the word "God" going around taking it out of every last vestige of American doctrine. I don't think "the people" want the president elect to say the words "So help me God" because we believe it would affect how they govern. It is a basic American tradition and we LIKE it.

Maybe it's me, but "So help me God" sounds a lot more presidential and important than "this I promise to uphold".

16. reflexblue

Ratings:
    +151 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

I have no problems with the ubiqitous term "GOD" being use at inagurations, football, games etc. For example the way GOD is used in these terms is open to interpritation by the individual listening (or in my case not paying attention) It could be any GOD to any particular person. Now "May we have a moment of silence for Jesus,Allah, Yahwa etc then it would be offensive to some, maybe many. But on the whole I never hear it being said because i'm so use to it, i've tuned it out.
    This lawsuit is an attempt by the few to foist their personal beliefs on the many. That in my book is selfish.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2009
  17. PatsFanInVa

Ratings:
    +567 / 8 / -8

I believe in God and I wouldn't feel impinged upon. I don't think they'll succeed, mind you. But they should.

Madison and Jefferson were only right about this subject; that doesn't mean they were traditional on the subject. It wasn't called the American Same-Old Same-Old, it was called the American Revolution. Of course their thinking broke with tradition in many ways. Some of those ways became accepted as the new "tradition," and some of it is downright radical these days.

PFnV

18. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

#18 Jersey

If people like you change my traditions PFiVA....

"SO HELP ME GOD!" :D;)

19. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +668 / 2 / -9

Are american christians the only religion that beats their own God up, trashing ones own God is a "Beheading Offense" in some country's.