PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Lawrence Jackson - DE

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BradyToMoss

Looks like the Pats are high on this kid, I know they've worked alot of guys out etc, but I've heard alot of rumblings about the Pats and their interest in him. This via EastCoastSportsNews:

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/AlsHotNwsRms.html

"Lawrence Jackson...USC DE Lawrence Jackson told Sirius NFL Radio that the New England Patriots worked him out just recently as a strong OLB, and envision Jackson in the Willie McGinest mold."

This guy is a projected low R1 pick, I hope the Pats don't trade down to the middle of the round and reach for this guy. If they want to deal down, grab a corner then deal back up with their #2 and take him in the 25-32 window then I'm cool with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like the Pats are high on this kid, I know they've worked alot of guys out etc, but I've heard alot of rumblings about the Pats and their interest in him. This via EastCoastSportsNews:

"Lawrence Jackson...USC DE Lawrence Jackson told Sirius NFL Radio that the New England Patriots worked him out just recently as a strong OLB, and envision Jackson in the Willie McGinest mold."

This guy is a projected low R1 pick, I hope the Pats don't trade down to the middle of the round and reach for this guy. If they want to deal down, grab a corner then deal back up with their #2 and take him in the 25-32 window then I'm cool with that.

I haven't seen a single mock with him in the first round, or even high in the second, since mid-season. He's not nearly athletic enough to be even a poor man's McGinest (IMO, obviously). I think we'd be stuck with an undersized defensive end. There's no way he can cover running backs...or even contain them to a short gain.

I haven't seen a single mock with him in the first round, or even high in the second, since mid-season. He's not nearly athletic enough to be even a poor man's McGinest (IMO, obviously). I think we'd be stuck with an undersized defensive end. There's no way he can cover running backs...or even contain them to a short gain.

Here's a mock that has him going #26 to the Jags (updated 3/27)

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Jackson is way to inconsistent. I personally don't like him much. I don't think he could stand up and play. He's not that fast, and his motor runs hot and cold.

Last edited:

Who is projecting this guy as a late 1st round pick? NFLDraftscout and NFLDraftCountdown grade him out as a late 2nd/early 3rd round pick

Here's two updated mocks that have him going 26 overall in R1 to the Jags. He's climbing draft boards, he definately won't be there in the bottom half of R2.
http://wardentc.webs.com/nflmockdraft.htm

http://walterfootball.com/draft2008.php

Two unaffiliated sites who have no links to the NFL of any sort. At least with NFLDraftScout (used by the NFL) and NFLDraftcountdown.com (Scott Wright) they have some legitimacy. Wright actually is invited to the Combine and Senior Bowl.

Sorry if I put absolutely NO STOCK in the two sites you offered up.

That makes 3 players from USC that the Pats have looked at or are flying in to visit.

How wierd is it that during the years USC was national champions or runner up we only manageed to get a backup QB off their talented roster.

I still think the Pats should pass on Jackson even if he is there at the bottom of the 2nd round. Next season the Pats should revisit USC and grab OLB Cushing and ILB Maluaguaga to eventually replace Vrabel and Bruschi.

That makes 3 players from USC that the Pats have looked at or are flying in to visit.

How wierd is it that during the years USC was national champions or runner up we only manageed to get a backup QB off their talented roster.

I still think the Pats should pass on Jackson even if he is there at the bottom of the 2nd round. Next season the Pats should revisit USC and grab OLB Cushing and ILB Maluaguaga to eventually replace Vrabel and Bruschi.

Four players actually:
Keith Rivers
Lawrence Jackson
Terrell Thomas
Thomas Williams

I too hope they can somehow land Rey Maualuga in the 2009 NFL Draft. I was hoping he would declare this year, because I thought he was head and shoulders above the other ILB prospects, but he decided to stay in school for his senior year.

Two unaffiliated sites who have no links to the NFL of any sort. At least with NFLDraftScout (used by the NFL) and NFLDraftcountdown.com (Scott Wright) they have some legitimacy. Wright actually is invited to the Combine and Senior Bowl.

Fine, the NFLDraftcountdown site has him going in the middle part of R2 (3/17 update date), regardless, if BB likes a guy, he likes him and he'll reach for him. He took Logan Mankins 16 picks earlier than where he was projected to go, Mel Kiper almost fell out of his chair when he heard the name called at the spot it was called. I'm not saying I want Jackson, if BB reaches for a DE/OLB there are better reach options obviously, I've just been hearing alot about the Pats and Lawrence Jackson. The kid had a pretty good senior bowl, a good combine and he'll end up going at the top of the round. 1st Team All pac 10 with 14 sacks is nothing to sneeze at.

Fine, the NFLDraftcountdown site has him going in the middle part of R2 (3/17 update date), regardless, if BB likes a guy, he likes him and he'll reach for him. He took Logan Mankins 16 picks earlier than where he was projected to go, Mel Kiper almost fell out of his chair when he heard the name called at the spot it was called. I'm not saying I want Jackson, if BB reaches for a DE/OLB there are better reach options obviously, I've just been hearing alot about the Pats and Lawrence Jackson. The kid had a pretty good senior bowl, a good combine and he'll end up going at the top of the round. 1st Team All pac 10 with 14 sacks is nothing to sneeze at.

Mankins was going to be taken at the top of round 2 at the latest by the 49ers. That was clearly the worst kep secret going into the draft.

As for Kiper's reaction, Kiper is a talking head and nothing else. I put no stock in ANYTHING he says.

You haven't "heard a lot" about Jackson and the Patriots. What you've heard is ONE article, so please don't make it out to be more than it is.

The Pats interview MANY prospects every year and we hear about how this one or that one is the next one the Pats take only to NOT have the Pats take them.

Its unlikely that the Pats will be in a position to grab Maualuga next year unless some huge prospects hit the scene and the Pats stumble and go 8-8. Otherwise, Maualuga will be going in the top 15 (possibly the top 10).

Lawerence jackson is the classic overachiever, no qauntifiable numbers, he just makes plays.. sounds about right, sign me up!

Man, I hate it when facts get in the way of a good story ! Here's a professional Draft site that also has Mr. Jackson going 26th overall to the Jags, do you need more facts?, let me know.

http://www.prodraftguide.net/03mockdraft.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I hate it when facts get in the way of a good story ! Here's a professional Draft site that also has Mr. Jackson going 26th overall to the Jags, do you need more facts?, let me know.

http://www.prodraftguide.net/03mockdraft.html

No. You don't let facts get in the way of a STORY. And if you'd actually read the fine print on that site, you'd know they aren't anything but a site that is a mish mash of other places ideas. It would really help if you actually read the fine print every now and then. You might learn something. Of course, I bet you spent all 12 hours searching the net to try and find a "legitimate" site that supported your idea. But, yeah, beat your chest like you've accomplished something.

Good job for you. But hey, yeah. Be proud of yourself for wasting time.

ProDraftGuide said:
This site is in no way affiliated with the National Football League (NFL) or the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA). All logos and images contained within this site are the property of their respective teams and should not be used without consent. This website is an unofficial and independently operated source of news and information not affiliated with any school or team.

In other words, they don't go to the Combine and they don't go to the Pro Days. They just re-hash what everyone else is reporting already. Hell, since there is a "new mock every week until the NFL Draft! GUARANTEED!!!" whats to say they don't use other people's mocks either?

Here is was NFLDraftScout.com has to say:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/members/about.php

NFLDraftScout.com said:
Since 1987, the Sports Xchange Publishing companies have been the best source of analysis, perspective and insight for the top professionals in sports, including teams, web sites, video games, television and radio.

During the last decade, The Sports Xchange publishing companies became primary content providers for for the top destinations on the internet --America Online, CBS SportsLine, Foxsports.com, MSNBC, Compuserve, Yahoo! Lycos, DirecTV, and many others.

The Sports Xchange network has covered more than 560 teams in pro and college plus 50 NASCAR driving teams (per car). The Sports Xchange network was the creative force behind more than 130,000 unique products, including daily audio reports in the four major professional team sports and the acclaimed TV series "Beyond The Glory," on Fox Sports Network.

So, you take whatever independent sites you want to believe and think that their actually saying that a player is 1st round material just because some mock that they posted on their site says so. I'll go with people who've got more of a track record.

The NFL uses NFLDraftScout.com for many of its bios for prospects. So they believe its credible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots