Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lawmakers Call for Proof of Progress by Fall

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by PressCoverage, May 8, 2007.

1. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

September Could Be Key Deadline in War

Lawmakers Call for Proof of Progress by Fall

By Jonathan Weisman and Thomas E. Ricks
    Washington Post Staff Writers
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007; Page A01

Congressional leaders from both political parties are giving President Bush a matter of months to prove that the Iraq war effort has turned a corner, with September looking increasingly like a decisive deadline.

In that month, political pressures in Washington will dovetail with the military timeline in Baghdad. Gen. David H. Petraeus, the commanding general in Iraq, has said that by then he will have a handle on whether the current troop increase is having any impact on political reconciliation between Iraq's warring factions. And fiscal 2008, which begins Oct. 1, will almost certainly begin with Congress placing tough new strings on war funding.
  2. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

They're calling for nothing that wasn't going to happen anyway. Politicians are funny. This is what happens when the public is ignorant. The fall was set as a status point even before the surge was announced. I've been telling you people this for months and months now. The surge might run as far as spring 2008 (more like Jan/Feb for me), and then you will see a significant draw down. These pols are saying this so that they look like they accomplished something come the fall. By election time 2008 there will probably be 80,000 US troops in Iraq +/-, compared to the 150k+ you see now.
  3. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

yes yes of course... the public is dumb, the country is lost, all politicians are corrupt, and RW has "been telling you for months and months" how enlightened and brilliant he is with his foresight...

show us the link BEFORE the surge was announced that said this would all need to be decided by fall ... if not, try to stop obfuscating for one day in your goofy know-it-all posting life...

fact is, Boy King's veto got tacit support, and his pig-headed stance on the modern crusade wanes with each passing day in the minds of his own GOP enablers on the Hill...
  4. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

I don't call you Agenda Boy for nothing you know. You, above all others, are probably the person I've had to repeat myself to the most in here. Not surprisingly, you still refuse to cede to logic and common sense. I think you've been spending to much time with the inflatables. :D
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

and in typical fashion, you, Agenda Hypocrite, just throw something against the wall and hope it sticks... what "logic" or "common sense" of yours am i somehow missing?

you're the intellectual elitist around here who apparently knows everything, but somehow i'm missing your overall thesis...

i don't care how many times you repeat, retreat or backtrack about being "against this war at the start," you're never gonna get me to believe a person like you wasn't all for the bombs to start dropping over Baghdad from the very first night... your posting history and rinse-repeat Bush apology posting style indicates where you stand...
  6. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Rookie

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

Your "pissing contest" debate style aside.......... I don't think he needs to supply a link at all. My recollection, and the recollection of MOST informed people was when the surge started (early spring), ALMOST EVERY talking head, pundit from FOX, CNN to even MSNBC said that they had about 6 months to show progress and that was about it.

Well......... 6 months puts is at about September.

You can try to out-insult him, but in this case I agree with RW 100%. He's correct in saying

This is a face-saving maneuver {gesture even} for the "pelosi/reid" gang to look like they got some tangible "result" to show for that silly unproductive delay tactic that did nothing but withhold much needed money to "boots on the ground". Both sides came away looking pretty bad from the whole event. This "agreement" to what was already pretty much a given, is a way for BOTH SIDES to claim victory.

I stand and eagerly await your insults........ {my personal guess is you'll resort to the "be quiet new guy" tactic, but we'll see ;) )
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  7. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +648 / 2 / -9

Wow, No Sh!t
  8. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

Its gunna soon be a "distance yourself from Bush-FEST" this is a lame duck political tactic.

"Bush? never heard of him." - Every candidate
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

well, of course you agree with someone like RW 100%...

but the point is that NOW a line is clearly being marked in the sand for all to understand... by both the "pelosi/reid gang" and the exasperated GOP stalwarts who've had it with Boy King... he can sign his veto, and Congress can come up short overriding it, but both sides of the aisle have had it with this crap... not just the Democrats... Boy King's hourglass is running out...

yes, of course there were vague mentions here and there of a 6-month time frame back when this ridiculous surge was announced... but certainly not "every talking head" was in step with this, and many encouraged an open-ended conflict.... regardless, i believe Wolfowitz also said the entire operation would only last 6 months... but i digress...

2.5 months in, and Chimpy's "surge" isn't doing squat, as was predicted would be the case by anyone thinking rationally ... but, by beating that square peg into a round hole, by God, Boy King will make it work... regardless of how many thousand American servicemen get blown to pieces...
    Last edited: May 8, 2007
  10. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

So I take it you were for Corey Dillon, Brandon Merriweather, and Randy Moss coming to the Pats? My guess is that everyone in here wants Barry Bonds on the Redsox. Sh!t, some people want Pat Quinn to coach the Bruins. How many people really want(ed) those things to happen? Yet, of those people that don't/didn't, how many will still root for their respective team to win? I'd have prefered we not go into Iraq, but we did. The question then becomes, do I want us to succeed, or do I want us to fail? What do you want us to do?

Like I said before Agenda Boy, no matter how many times I explained things to you, after you asked me to, or no matter how simplisitcally I tried to put it, you'd already had your mind made up to begin with. Why bother asking if you already know.
  11. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

To be fair, the Repubs are singing a similar tune. They are playing the lets wait and see what happens in Sept before we pull the plug. For the Dems, they got veto'd, so now they are flexing the "it's over in September if the news sucks" platform, so they look good when we draw down. BTW, we will draw down come Oct-Feb, trust me. Tell me though, who stands to lose the most if the results are good? This is why this stuff upsets me some. We should all want good news. Bad news means more deaths, no progress, and a sh!ttier situation. How anyone could want bad news is beyond me. Yet, because of the current political BS going on, bad news is beneficial to some. Worse, good news will be painfull. Really sad.
  12. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

You need to get away from the sources that tell you what you want to hear, and get to reading multiple perspectives. I've been telling you (toot horn :D ) that we needed a surge there last year, that it was what the troops on the ground were reccomending. They had to do this for numerous reasons, namely, to thwart the strength of the shia militia's in Bagdhad, refinforce the sunni tribes in Al-Anbar who are fighting AQ, bridge the hand over of key security controls to Iraqi units, and most importantly, because we have to draw down in 2008 whether we like it or not. If you stick to reading your politicians favorite spin, you're only doing yourself a diservice. Iraqi units are doing 90 day tours in Baghdad. What is important to note about these tours, is that it is the first time units from out side of the Baghdad area are running ops inside ethnically diverse neighborhoods inside the city. This may not seem like much to you, but to the people on the ground this is progress.
  13. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Speaking of good news, Sadrs militias are still laying low. We havent even begun to see a Shia uprising yet, which is when the S really hits the fan. Hopefully, Sadrs corps will go head on into Anbar for us and take out the Sunni scumbags, but then of course Dick Cheney will be all upset because the Saudis will soon be handing him another spanking.

Go Shia. Kick some wahhabi arse!
  14. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

You sound so ignorant. You do know that the Sunni tribes have been backing us in Al-Anbar right? That they have turned against AQ and with US forces. Of course you knew that though. That's why 4,000 reinforcements, as part of the surge plan, are going to Al-Anbar. Also, I'm sure you knew about the infighting that is going on inside the Mehdi Army, and how he's been at odds with his higher-ups since the surge began. He's in exile in Iran, and there's been a bit of a struggle for power in his absence. Also, he fired a couple of cronies who had met with US officials. Does this mean it's all roses? Of course not, but it means that there is a process going on, and that some people are clearly hoping it doesn't succeed i guess. I know though, you want us to succeed over there.

Note the key word in the headline, success.

http://www.latimes.com/news/printed...umn?coll=la-news-a_section&ctrack=1&cset=true

An Iraq success story

Once-violent Ramadi, which now enjoys relative calm, shows that Iraqis can achieve peace -- with our help.

April 24, 2007

'A FEW WEEKS ago you couldn't drive down this street without being attacked. When I went down this street in February, I was hit three times with small-arms fire and IEDs." Col. John Charlton was describing Ramadi as we drove down its heavily damaged main street, dubbed Route Michigan by U.S. forces. Even though this was an unlucky day — Friday the 13th (of April) — we did not experience a single attack on our convoy of Humvees.

The previous week, a suicide bomber drove a truck filled with explosives and chlorine gas into a police checkpoint, killing 12 people (not the 27 or more cited in most news accounts). But such violence, once the norm, has become the exception. Ramadi, which used to see 20 to 25 attacks a day, now sees an average of two to four a day. By the time I visited, no U.S. soldier had been killed in the town for weeks.

That remarkable success is worth pondering at a time when most Americans are willing to write off Iraq as a lost cause. There is no doubt that U.S. forces face an agonizingly difficult task in Iraq. The bombings that killed nearly 200 people in Baghdad last week make clear how hard the challenge is. But as Gen. David Petraeus said on taking command in February, "Hard is not hopeless." The experience of Ramadi — which has gone from being one of the most dangerous cities in Iraq to one of the safest — provides a glimmer of hope.

Yet for all the shortcomings of their government, Iraqi forces have begun to participate effectively in coalition operations, and nowhere more so than in Ramadi. Key to the success of this undertaking has been the recent decision by most of the major Al Anbar tribes to turn against Al Qaeda and its indiscriminate reign of terror. The Sunni tribal forces are still too weak to defeat Al Qaeda on their own and probably always will be, but they have been of critical help in generating tips that aid coalition forces. They are also now encouraging their sons to join the Iraqi police and army.

Among police and army, I saw encouraging signs of integration across sectarian boundaries. For example, an Iraqi army sergeant-major, a Shiite from Baghdad, was in charge of supervising the rebuilding of a Sunni neighborhood. This kind of inter-communal cooperation was once the norm in Iraq and could be again, if Shiite and Sunni extremists are defeated at gunpoint.

Ramadi is not an isolated example. There is progress across Al Anbar province. According to coalition briefings, attacks in the province are at a two-year low. Tips to coalition forces are soaring. U.S. troops used to find only 50% of IEDs. Now they are defusing 80% before they detonate. (Al Qaeda in Iraq has responded with chlorine gas bombs. In other words, using chemical weapons against Sunni civilians — not a tactic likely to win over the populace.)
  15. All_Around_Brown

All_Around_Brown Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

RW, of course being omniscient you understand that the Sunni sect attacked us on 9-11. Why do you support those who harbor terrorists (sunnis)? And why do you hate our troops so much that you cant even take a side in this civil war??

Repeatedly Ive asked the question whose side are you on? Apparently, you support the same people who killed 3000 civilians in NYC and DC. It is clearer every day with your posts.
  16. Real World

Ratings:
    +501 / 6 / -2

I'm on the side of the United States soldiers who are fighting in Iraq. It's too bad you're not too.
  17. patsfan13

patsfan13 Hall of Fame Poster PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Actually Al Queda is more closely aligned with the Wahabbi sect which is a sub group among the Sunni's.
  18. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

It's more important for their political enemies in the US to lose than for Al Queda to lose. sad really.
  19. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

that's an assanine stretch, and not what he was saying at all... in fact, quite the opposite...

but then, here is a shining example of exactly what we've come to expect from you, our strawman champion...
  20. patsfan13

Ratings:
    +225 / 8 / -13

Actions speak far louder than words.

IMO you for example would be very upset if we win and Bush were vindicated and popular. You couldn't stand it. You would be very happy of we failed and withdrew so you could say "I told you so".

JMO.
    Last edited: May 9, 2007