Welcome to PatsFans.com

Law working as intended

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Patters, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The sad thing is there is virtually no evidence of illegals or non-residents voting, but the Republican right wing recognizes that poor people, especially people of color, tend to vote for Democrats so are fueling the racist paranoia of the Tea Party and doing what they can to disenfranchise people. This story is an example of how bigotry punishes the individual and weakens our democracy.

Chattanooga woman, 96, denied voter ID | The Tennessean | tennessean.com

CHATTANOOGA — Ninety-six-year-old Dorothy Cooper has been voting for more than seven decades, so the Chattanooga resident was eager to get a photo identification card when she heard it would be required for the next election.

On Monday, Cooper gathered a rent receipt, a copy of her lease, her voter registration card and her birth certificate and went to a Driver Service Center to get the free identification card offered by the state as part of the new voter identification law.

But the clerk refused to give Cooper a card because her birth certificate carried her maiden name, Dorothy Alexander, and she didn’t have a copy of her marriage certificate, she told the Chattanooga Times Free Press.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  2. Patsfanin Philly

Patsfanin Philly Rookie

Ratings:
    +29 / 0 / -0

#95 Jersey

Oh please,cut me a break.The clerk was following the law and it has nothing to do with bigotry especially since they gave her a solution on how to vote, via absentee ballot.If bigotry were the issue, hey wouldn't have given her an option that allowed her to vote.

"""Hamilton County Administrator of Elections Charlotte Mullis-Morgan recommended that Cooper vote with an absentee ballot because absentee ballots don’t require a photo ID'''

If I want to get a passport and my documents don't all match, they won't give it to me, Is it bigotry? No they are following the law to minimize the fraud aspect.

Here's an idea, why doesn't she get a copy of her marriage certificate, and then she can be in compliance? She already has a copy of her birth certificate which is 96 years old...Request it from city hall where she was married.
  3. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

If you knew the history of disenfranchisement, you would know that after the Civil War it hid behind seemingly sensible laws, whether the idea that your grandfather owned property in town or that you could answer a set of simple questions that white people would have often advantages with. Now, they take poor people, many of whom have no need for IDs, and force them to go through the rigamarole and expense of tracking down their marriage licenses, purchasing birth certificates, etc. Yes, she can go through the process of getting the necessary documentation, but of course the point is to make it laborious for poor people, who are often intimidated by government bureaucracy anyway, so they they don't vote. The middle class and wealthy already have acceptable ID in most cases. If there was ample evidence of voter fraud, I could understand these laws, but the evidence is almost negligible and mostly based on speculation by bigots.
  4. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

You are aware in 2005 that congress passed a rider on a military spending bill, with no public discussion or input from the Democrats called the Real ID bill.

That may provide another barrier to voting, the right not only controls who counts the votes, but who can vote as well..

REAL ID Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

Who in the world doesn't need an ID?

Let me get this straight. Concern over voter fraud from the right: just a continuation of the KKK's plan. Concern over voter fraud from the left (Google "Diebold"): ground-breaking research.

Your assertions based on your hatred of righties aren't gonna cut it, and your example undermines your argument.
  6. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

I forget. Have we had any elections since then? What happened?

I know there was something in 2006 and again in 2008, but I can't remember what it was.
  7. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

Any efforts to overturn is have been rebuffed, does that help your memory???

If not there are more sources of the Granny State Right intruding into your lives..
  8. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

If this has the force of law, then how was I able to vote in 2006, 2008 and 2010 without being asked for ID?
  9. Patters

Ratings:
    +169 / 4 / -4

The woman had her birth certificate, voting, cards, mail and other forms of ID. There's a reason that this is not a bipartisan issue, and it's to disenfranchise the poor. I work with the poor and many of them don't have typical ID because they don't have bank accounts, they don't have savings, they don't have cars, they don't travel, etc.

The concern about Diebold led to reasonable improvements, not to any disenfranchisement that I know of; the concern about people falsely voting is leading to the disenfranchisement of the poor. There's a big difference there. But, of course, modern bigots (and I don't mean you) will always couch their arguments in ways that seem reasonable to the fair-minded. That's why Reagan lied about "welfare queens" driving around in Cadillacs in order to undermine welfare. It made him seem reasonable. That's why Bush lied about Iraq having WMDs; it made him seem reasonable.
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  10. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +351 / 1 / -9

Why should the law, rules and regulations be changed for her, there are certain legal and many other things a women can't do under her "maiden name" I'd like to see this women sign her maiden name to a government check that is made out to her married name.

All she has to do is comply with the "rules" like the rest of us do, she will then get her ID if she doesn't want to do that she can call MSNBC up maybe they can help her "Ignore The Rules"
  11. DarrylS

Ratings:
    +190 / 7 / -23

All states have asked for an extension, and Obama is making an effort to overturn it. .
  12. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

You're flipping things around. The law was changed to keep her and people who mostly share her skin tone from voting.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +310 / 4 / -2

It's 2011 last I checked. I think it's time we had people verfiy who they are when they vote. If the 2nd amendement can be sensibly regulated, so can the voting process. It's not all that complicated imo.
  14. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

This means, as I said, that it doesn't have the force of law. If it did, it would be in effect until it was overturned.
  15. The Brandon Five

The Brandon Five Rookie

Ratings:
    +120 / 0 / -4

#75 Jersey

How do they receive their benefits?

Social Security Online - Frequently Asked Questions About Direct Deposit
    There's our new legal standard.

Now you lefties want an outcome-based legal system?

Is that why Clinton was the one to pass Welfare reform?

I don't follow.