Welcome to PatsFans.com

LAW PROF WHO SPECIALIZES IN POVERTY MAKES $205,400 – TEACHING ONE CLASS PER SEMESTER

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Charlotte Pats Fan, Jun 27, 2014.

1. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Here's a good article from a reasonable source as to why college costs have skyrocketed:

http://www.forbes.com/2010/08/01/ri...nions-best-colleges-10-feldman-archibald.html

First, like many personal services, including much of health care, the law and banking, higher education remains essentially an artisanal industry. These are industries in which technological progress has not reduced the number of labor hours needed to “produce” the service....

Secondly, higher education shares with many other personal services a reliance on an extremely highly educated labor force. Starting in the late 1970s, the cost of hiring highly educated people began a sustained rise....

Lastly, technological change affects higher education directly.... As in modern medicine, there is a standard of care that higher education must meet, and that standard is set in the labor market that hires our graduates.

2. Charlotte Pats Fan

Charlotte Pats Fan 2nd Team Getting Their First Start

Ratings:
    +113 / 1 / -3

No Jersey Selected

[
    Really unbiased source there. Tell me what other product has gone up 1100% in the last 30 years?
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...12-fold-1120-percent-bloomberg_n_1783700.html

David H. Feldman is a professor of economics and public policy at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg, Va. Robert B. Archibald is chancellor professor of economics at the College of William and Mary. Their book Why Does College Cost So Much? will be published by Oxford University Press this

3. SB39

SB39 In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Do I support universities having a blank check from the government to fund their ridiculous 6 and 7 figure salaries for administrators and noshow teachers? Well, no I can't say I support that.

4. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Patters, you can't just take terms and completely reassign new meanings to those terms.

Highways, infrastructure and utilities are not considered government business subsidies (with the rare exception when a road is built for one specific company). I have to take the Mass Pike to get to the Hancock Building, but no one would consider the Mass Pike a government subsidy created for the finanical industry.
    Last time I checked farmers were taxpayers, so isn't that what is already happening? They aren't building "their own" highways, but they build highways.

5. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Speak for yourself. I bet every single one of us benefits from highways in rural areas. Just because you don't personally drive on that highway doesn't mean you don't benefit from it. You think all that fresh food in the produce section at the local grocery store just popped into existence out of thin air? Or maybe Scotty beamed it down?

6. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -3

Imagine if we gave everyone 1 million dollars. 1 million dollars would be equivalent to zero dollars. Everyone could afford anything worth a million so prices would start at 1 million.

Imagine if we gave everyone a 5 dollar voucher for bread every month. What would happen to the cost of bread? The bakers already made enough to meet demand. They couldn't just increase production tenfold immediately. 5 dollars would become the start price of bread.

Imagine we give everyone who asks 20K in loans for college. What happens?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. fpraven88

fpraven88 Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +123 / 4 / -3

As I already stated the vast, vast majority of schools don't have professors that are getting paid as much as Elizabeth Warren.

So the question stands.

8. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 13 / -27

#87 Jersey

There are plenty of fine colleges with staff that are paid less.
    It revolves partially on publishing ... actually that is a huge part of it.

Go to a community college you get a teacher who teaches from a book.
    Go to a top tier college and you get taught by the professor who wrote the book.
    The more published a professor then the higher salary they command ... it's pure capitalism.

But one does not need to go to those top tier colleges to have a fine career ... they just think they do. The better colleges enhance one's opportunity for a job ... but it's a factor not the only factor. college educations by and large are becoming more and more a farce of illusion lately.

9. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

There would be inflation but there wouldn't be a situation where "everything" started at 1 million because you'd only be able to spend your million once.
    This, however, is a perfectly apt analogy to education. If the baker can sell all his loaves at $2 each without the voucher, then after the voucher he will start charging $7 per loaf. He is still going to sell out, the buyers are no better off, the baker is filthy rich, and the taxpayers have been squeezed.

10. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

You're mixing up cause and effect. The vast majority of schools don't have professors getting as much as Elizabeth Warren, but any school you gave a black taxpayer-funded check to would eventually reach that point.

11. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

Thanks. Actually, I agree with you about highways in rural areas, and the same logic applies to higher education. In every inch of your home (including the produce drawer in your fridge), you are indirectly benefiting from highly educated people.

12. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +418 / 12 / -26

Whole bunch of conjecture, few facts, but there is a need to be outraged about something might as well be this...

He is the former dean, and no one really knows all of his responsibilities or how this compares to other long time law school professors across the country...

13. fpraven88

Ratings:
    +123 / 4 / -3

We haven't done so, however, so you it would seem you agree with me that the people pointing out the few highly paid professors out there as being the cause for tuitions being so high are way off the mark.

14. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Well that depends on how you define higher education. I am benefitting from the real world job skills that other people have but not the fluff that higher education forces on people.

In otherwords, I benefit from all the engineering classes that the guy who designed my fridge took. I am not benefitting from all the English Lit and 2 years of Latin he also took.

15. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Let's just say that I consider obscenely highly paid faculty and administration a symptom of the disease but not the cause.

16. fpraven88

Ratings:
    +123 / 4 / -3

I suppose this discussion between us proves that two people can in fact be in violent agreement with one another.

Edit: Though to be fair, with regards to Elizabeth Warren and the fact that Harvard has $32B endowment and Harvard isn't even in the top 20 most expensive schools in the nation, I think they're just an interesting case and separate from the disease/symptoms.

17. RI Patriots fan

RI Patriots fan In the Starting Line-Up

Ratings:
    +219 / 9 / -25

First off , its 40%....970 of 2400.

Reasonable ???? o_O.....you think College Professors deserve over a quarter million dollars a year for what they do? How many companies do you know of where 40% of their people make over $250k per year for working as few hours as college professors do?

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  18. Bobsyouruncle

Bobsyouruncle Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job

Ratings:
    +297 / 4 / -3

If I wanted to be say, an engineer, I could pay a college to teach me the job and skills.

I could do an internship and earn nothing to learn.

But I can't accept a partial salary below minimum wage to learn because that's exploitation? Makes no sense.

My first two years of college were a complete waste of time redoing HS classes and doing electives. Why are those required? We pump people out with huge debts and not enough marketable skills.

19. SB39

Ratings:
    +766 / 45 / -57

Unfortunately that is what college has become. It's extended High School.

20. Patters

Ratings:
    +287 / 11 / -10

I think you're out of touch is you think that's a ridiculous salary. It's a great salary, but it's a salary that people who are exceptionally talented earn in virtually any profession, and many professions pay more. The 970 at Harvard who earn those high salaries are gleaned from thousands upon thousands of people over many years. I think the salaries of NFL players are vastly more obscene than the salaries of scholars. Even scholars I disagree with, I have a lot of respect for because I know the work they put in, and most don't make it to the upper echelons. I believe that our quality of life (including intellectual and creative) is borne through education, and brilliant thinkers, teachers, and writers are key to education. If I had written what you and SB39 wrote about the obscene salaries of CEOs, I'd be accused of being envious. I suppose I should say that about the two of you. Have you ever read a book that really educated and enlightened you? Have you read many such books? Have you ever watched a documentary that really educated you?