PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Law is a Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't notice anyone mention Law's salary. Anyway, looks like it's 5 years $30 million. I can see why he didn't sign with the Patriots, I can't imagine they were offering anything close to that. The Chiefs are just making one last ditch effort at a Super Bowl before the old guard starts retiring.

huskeralk said:
I didn't notice anyone mention Law's salary. Anyway, looks like it's 5 years $30 million. I can see why he didn't sign with the Patriots, I can't imagine they were offering anything close to that. The Chiefs are just making one last ditch effort at a Super Bowl before the old guard starts retiring.

The jury is still out on his "salary". According to Mike Florio on PFT when a contract's terms aren't leaked in the first 24 hours it's usually because there is nothing to crow about for the agent once the details are public knowledge.

His league sources claim the deal is close to his educated guess of $4M signing bonus and $1M 2006 salary, followed by a series of option bonus + salary seasons that are entirely at KC's discretion provided they don't opt to take a dead cap hit of $3M or so after 2007. So if his info is right it's closer to his JETS deal than a normal 5/$30 and will likely only count <$2M on KC's cap this season.

These deals are all about the first 3 years, bonus and guaranteed money. The rest is flotsum and jetsum agents like Poston can try to use to hookwink existing and potential future clients into believing they really got someone a super deal.

I wouldn't be surprised if we offered him more in a realistic 3 year deal (maybe less bonus and more salary but totaling $15M+/-. Just not a deal with the phony potential to look like what Ty and the Poston's want him to be viewed as (a 5 times $6M player). I don't think this FO wanted to get into a situation down the road where Ty was cut kicking and screaming over a prohibitive cap hit everybody knew he was not going to remain through. Been there done that. They wanted a deal where he could reasonably be expected to play some role for 3 more seasons and then happily retire as a Patriot. He's already told some folks in KC who got to meet him yesterday that he thinks he'll be there for 3 years.

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/

July 25, 2006
Law follow

The Patriots made a two-year offer to free-agent cornerback Ty Law that could have been worth up to $11 million if all incentives were reached, according to a league source.

But that offer was trumped by the Chiefs, who signed Law to a five-year contract on Monday that could be worth up to $31.5 million.

Like many NFL contracts, however, the key factor is how much bonus and guaranteed money it includes.

According to a source familiar with the basic principles of Law's deal with the Chiefs, the package includes a $1 million signing bonus, as well as a $4 million base salary in 2006. In addition, should Law be on the opening day roster, it would kick in a $3 million guarantee for 2007. So as long as Law makes it through training camp, he is essentially guaranteed $8 million in his Chiefs deal.

Posted By: mreiss | Time: 11:38:50 AM

Last edited:
What a dumba$$. Esentially, these are the two things that factored into his decision since it appears that we were very close with our offer.

1. He knows he can walk all over Herm and isn't going to have to work until the regular season starts.

2. The 5 year contract even though he will never see the final three, maybe four years suited his ego much better.

There you go. In the world that Ty and the Postons occupy, 2/$11M is less than 1 year $5M and possibly 2/$8-10, but with an icebergs chance in hell at another $20M over the next 3 if the team doesn't just cut you with minimal dead cap consequence to save all or part of that remaining $23M or so. This is a worse phony deal than the one he signed with the JETS.

PFT has it a little different, his source is likely not named Poston though:

"Law got $4 million to sign, and will be paid a $1 million base salary in 2006. (As a vested veteran, his base salary is fully guaranteed if he's on the Week One roster.)

In 2007, there's a $1 million option bonus due in March, a $3 million base salary, and a $1 million roster bonus.

This leaves a whopping $25 million over the last three years of the deal -- and it's highly unlikely that Law will ever see that money.

For now, then, it's a one-year deal with a team option for year two. And kudos to the Chiefs for pushing the bigger hit in 2007 deeper into the league year. As a result, the Chiefs can choose to pay the $1 million option bonus in March and squat on Law's rights before making a decision in August as to whether he merits the remaining $4 million that he's due to receive in 2007.

The better deal for Ty would have been to require the Chiefs to fish or cut cheese on day one of the league year, via a $4 million roster or option bonus. Then, if the Chiefs had opted not to keep him, Law would have been on the free-agent market early (at which time his agents would have demanded too much money, no one would have been interested, and he would have signed another deal like this one in late July)."

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

Edited to say I just realized that if Ty makes it through the first two seasons in KC he will still be $2M short of the insulting 4/$26M offer he walked away from here in 2004 for the 2004-2007 seasons. And that's now on a $102M windfall cap. Ty must have majored in basketweaving at Michigan. It's no wonder the NFLPA wants to suspend Carl Poston.

Last edited:
According to Law on ESPN.com:
He was also courted by the New England Patriots, the team he helped to three Super Bowl championships.

But the prospect of playing again for Edwards, a former Pro Bowl cornerback himself, proved decisive.

"It makes a difference when you have a coach that's played the game," Law said. "There's a lot of knowledgeable coaches out there who know football. But Herman can give it to you from a player's perspective. And fortunately for me, he's played my position and he's played it well."

sounds like a stab at Bill

or just a compliment to Herm...

RoughingthePasser said:
According to Law on ESPN.com:
He was also courted by the New England Patriots, the team he helped to three Super Bowl championships.

But the prospect of playing again for Edwards, a former Pro Bowl cornerback himself, proved decisive.

"It makes a difference when you have a coach that's played the game," Law said. "There's a lot of knowledgeable coaches out there who know football. But Herman can give it to you from a player's perspective. And fortunately for me, he's played my position and he's played it well."

sounds like a stab at Bill

BB played high school ball ... But really, I'm having a hard time figuring what Law is alluding to. What could Herm relate having played at the pro level that someone like BB, who's been in and around the game his entire life, not be able to understand? I'd like to hear Law expound on that.

you guys are just looking for way to attack Law. He said Its good to have someone who played. So someone that understands Law's situation better. BB might be the brain in the NFL but Herm can see it from a players perspective a little better or he was just complimenting Herm. Why does it have to be an attack?

I believe he said this when he signed with the Jets last year. What is surprising to me is that he would choose to sign with a coach who would call him out on his penalties instead of coach who would never in a million years do that. Oh well a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Remix 6 said:
you guys are just looking for way to attack Law. He said Its good to have someone who played. So someone that understands Law's situation better. BB might be the brain in the NFL but Herm can see it from a players perspective a little better or he was just complimenting Herm. Why does it have to be an attack?

Whenever I hear a Player, especially one with a spotty work ethic, describe a coach as a Player's Coach in so many words, I usually think that means he feels he can walk all over him.

For the record, Edwards played in 142 NFL games in ten seasons (nine with the Eagles). He started every game from 77--85. He had 33 INT's. He never made the pro bowl. The Eagles were pretty good in the late '70's and beginning of the '80's, going to the SB after the '80 Season but starting a long slide beginning with the strike year of 82. among Philly fans, Edwards is most remembered for executing "the miracle of the Meadowlands," picking up a Giant's fumble as they were running out the clock with the lead and running it back with no time remaining for an Eagle's victory.

So, yeah, he played and he played consistently over a long period.

patsacolachick said:
I believe he said this when he signed with the Jets last year. What is surprising to me is that he would choose to sign with a coach who would call him out on his penalties instead of coach who would never in a million years do that. Oh well a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

How do you know that? What is your source? What makes you think that Herm is any less vocal than Belichick? Do you know Herm? Bill? have you played with or for either of them?

I cannot believe the level of vitriol on this board regarding Ty, a guy who for a decade was an integral part of this team and gave his all for the N.E. Patriots. Ty is a hell of a competitor and a hell of a player. I'd want him on my team anyday. I encourage everyone on this thread to read the complete Ty Law press conference with the K.C media, instead of reacting to a couple of comments used out of context in the A.P piece. Here it is:

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/07/25/qa_with_cb_ty_law/

bbaptiste said:
How do you know that? What is your source? What makes you think that Herm is any less vocal than Belichick? Do you know Herm? Bill? have you played with or for either of them?

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2006/07/25/qa_with_cb_ty_law/

um, because I saw one of Herm's press conferences where he inferred he was not happy about his penalties, and I never saw BB give one like that, sorry I didn't write it down word for word. I said I was surprised by the signing, not pissed off at Ty. And he said the exact same thing about being coached by Herm when he signed with the Jets. Chill out.

I'm pretty sure we talked about it here a little bit, but I do remember it was all over the Jets Boards. Herm practically threw Law under the team bus, and it surprised the hell out of me that a coach would say that stuff to the media.... until I remembered it was Herm Edwards we were talking about.

Baptiste, you can't believe the vitriol (at least in your perception) over Law? Ya must have missed all the threads after Vinitraitor left for the Dolts. ;)

Tunescribe said:
BB played high school ball ... But really, I'm having a hard time figuring what Law is alluding to. What could Herm relate having played at the pro level that someone like BB, who's been in and around the game his entire life, not be able to understand? I'd like to hear Law expound on that.

I believe this is how it translates from Lawspeak. Herm knows that a DB's first instinct is to play to his own strength. And as a former player/motivator HC he tends to extoll them to just do what we do. That appeals to individuals who have been known to speak about their own talented selves in the third person. When it blows up in their face he tells them that's OK MEN, get 'em next time. He always calls them MEN! When being themselves repeatedly blows up in their face and the media points it out to Herm he throws the player under the bus. Then once the media retreats Herm takes it back and hugs the player and blames the media for twisting his words. This approach works best with players who are also easliy led to believe 2/$10M with almost nothing guaranteed is really 5/$31M and a lot more than 4/$26 with $16M guaranteed - which everybody knows is an insult to a pro bowl CB.

Ty and BB butted heads for a time about channeling talent and doing it Bills way in game. Ty reluctantly complied and found he could win rings doing it Bill's way. But Bill's way doesn't necessarily get you pro bowl or all pro nods because Bill gets a big chunk of the credit for channeling what you did, something Lawyer began pointing out to them in 2002, and if Bill isn't going to pay you as if you won those as well in the process of winning the ring, then it's potentially more personally rewarding and therefore more lucrative to freelance for Herm who sees you through the eyes of a DB. You probably won't win any rings because there are a lot of things Herm doesn't see as clearly like clocks and ways to beat schemes, but people who have been known to speak about themselves in the third person often at their very core care more about individual performance accolades. Especially when you already have 3 rings. Herm will wax poetic about individual players when they make plays, and only deflect criticism to them when things start going really bad and people are blaming him. Belichick is reluctant to lavish praise on anyone. Of course he almost never points fingers either except in the relative privacy of the film room. He's even been known to do something publicly I have never witnessed Herm do - say it was his fault when his team loses. Of course his teams haven't lost that often compared to Herm's, so frequently when Herm's team looses one of his coordinator's ends up on the unemployment line. Which from an x's and o's standpoint is apparently as it should be...

I just watched Herm get a little animated and wild eyed as only he can and tell the KC media that Ty Law is a football player who cares about football and his legacy and not about the money and when you see him on the field you will appreciate that. I believe he made the same speech in the Meadowlands last season. That's the kind of intro Ty needs from his HC. The rest is just x's and o's stuff that wins rings at the expense of glorifying talent.

patsacolachick said:
Oh well a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

Yeah like feed his family right? LOL.

I figured this would be happen. Law and/or his agent were just using the Pats to try to jack up the price in a bidding war.

Sorry Ty, I don't think you're gonna get 5/30 offer from the Pats when you are on the wrong side of 30.

bbaptiste said:
I cannot believe the level of vitriol on this board regarding Ty, a guy who for a decade was an integral part of this team and gave his all for the N.E. Patriots. Ty is a hell of a competitor and a hell of a player. I'd want him on my team anyday. I encourage everyone on this thread blah blah blah
Give it a rest, will ya?

Surprising as it may be to you, not everyone thinks the way you do. Regarding Ty a lot of us don't want him on the Pats either at all or for very little money. Apparrently htat includes Belichick and Pioli.

I'm grateful for all the Ty did in his good years. Those good years did not add up to a decade, though. Unless you are a new fan, you will rememmber some years he sucked. Like 2000, right after his contract.

He was good in 2001, great in 2003. But he burned his goodwill with me. Fine. He couldn't see himself ever putting the patriots uniform on again, and I've very glad he will never get the chance.

Same with Vinatieri, btw. He made the greatest kick in the history of the NFL. But he doesn't want to be here and I say fine. Get out and stay out. I hope he continues to kick the way he did in the Panthers superbowl (one out of three) and that is over 40-yard percentage is what he averaged all last year (50%).

With his most recent post, Mo has taken Ty Law's motivational ethos and has converted it into delectable prose. Bravo.
The eloquency which I often find on these boards makes a mockery of the tape-recorder jock-speak "work" of hacks like Jim Greenidge and his successors in spirit.
Mr. Law has made his choice, and that is to count his extra dollars while he is watching the playoffs on television. Good luck with that, Ty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes