PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Law is a Chief

Status
Not open for further replies.
MoLewisrocks said:
They had Surtain as their #1 CB. And they drafted a couple this year too. Their more pressing need may be augmenting an aging OLine and WR's, not to mention a QB who struggled with clotting problems in his 36 year old legs last season. Last year Ty played on a team that had a very good defense, Herman Edwards at the helm, and couldn't score enough points to win. He was miserable, but unfortunately with Ty when push comes to shove it is truly always about the benjamins.

Just like my ex-wife

I don't want to diminish all he has done for the Patriots, but it's pretty obvious Ty was all about "the Benjamin's" as Mo put it. Sorry, but it's hard to root for a guy like that.:(

belichickaholic said:
I don't want to diminish all he has done for the Patriots, but it's pretty obvious Ty was all about "the Benjamin's" as Mo put it. Sorry, but it's hard to root for a guy like that.:(

kudos!
tom_brady_150b.JPG

browns.jpg

bruschi.jpg

Remix 6 said:
your such a dumbass ^.

if he signed wit us you would have put this picture up
LawTyPortraitPlus_small.jpg

face it. we wanted him back..if there wasnt money involved we would let him on and now your bashing him? KC is a legit team..great players. they have 1 of the best fans and their stadium is tough to play in. he has a shot to win there too..you know it. stop being such ******* homers. the Chiefs arent a bad team, Herm is not a bad coach, Ty Law is still a good player. We would of taken him back..and since hes not here..stop throwing stupid **** at him. honestly your all getting annoying with this stuff. "Oh well..hes never gonna win 1 again". "JACKASS"

well Belichick will be the first to say a new season..new start. 0-0. Winning an X amount of games last year doesnt mean anything. Everyone is fresh and hungry. Be happy for him that he found a home..best of luck to him. Hope he finishes out a great career with a few playoff appearances. now drop it. he signed else where..if Brady signed somewhere else in this future are we gonna call him ****? Law was a big part of our success . He wants the money..okay well if a team is going to pay ihm that why not? not everyone is about just playing football because its a great sport..some want money..some want shots to win. Hes got both this year in KC.
I couldn't agree with you more.Brady and LJ should both be amongst the MVP candidates this upcoming season.I'll love to have a Pats vs Chiefs AFC championship game.

Last edited:
fgssand said:

confirmed by ESPN @8PM EDT.

IMO, this, for all intents and purposes, makes it four big losses (plus Givens, McGinest and Number Four) that we have come nowhere near to replacing this offseason since we could have resigned Law after not coming anywhere near to replacing him with three guys who gave it their all. With the return of Law, I would have argued that we held our own.

I'm beginning to think that Piolichick is indeed in rebuild mode and that we should start to scale down our expectations for 06, despite my impassioned denunciations of anyone who said that a month ago...

Last edited:
Remix 6 said:
did i say KC will win before us? no. stop putting words in my mouth.
Oh, backing off a bit, are we?

So you now agree with me that the Pats not having law and/or KC having law won't make a damn bit of difference either way? We still have a great SB shot and they still have a lousy chance. Cool.

The Pats had plenty fo money for law, more cap room than they can possibly use.

They didn't use it because they don't think he is worht it. Just like you an me!

One big happy family.

Too bad, I wanted Ty Law back. Any news on what the contract numbers were?

I don't know if venting is allowed but I will feel better just to say this out loud. The Patriots will still be a play-off team but off season has been the annual disapointment ritual. Why can't we sign a player someone has heard of? the LB depth and secondary are major concerns.

"Key Free' Agents ("key", that is rich.. "key" very funny)
Mel Mitchell (S), Eric Warfield(CB), Tebucky Jones (S), Martin Gramatica (K) , Reche Caldwell (WR)

Draft - time will tell but on paper it looks pretty good.

I feel a little better but am still a little ticked we didn't do more to improve obvious weaknesses.

Go Pats, less than 6 weeks to opening day... I feel a little better

Last edited:
PatsFanSince74 said:
confirmed by ESPN @8PM EDT.

I'm beginning to think that Piolichick is indeed in rebuild mode and that we should start to scale down our expectations for 06, despite my impassioned denunciations of anyone who said that a month ago...

What does 'rebuilding mode' mean by your definition?

cstjohn17 said:
I don't know if venting is allowed but I will feel better just to say this out loud. The Patriots will still be a play-off team but off season has been the annual disapointment ritual. Why can't we sign a player someone has heard of? the LB depth and secondary are major concerns.

Why does it matter? Secondary depth is not of any real concern at all. Think back to the days of Shawn Mayer, Je'Rod Cherry, Dexter Reid, Earthwind Moreland, and Hank backing up. Now jump ahead to today, where James Sanders, Tebucky Jones, Artrell Hawkins, Randall Gay, Eric Warfield, Chad Scott, Hank, Guss Scott, and Mel Mitchell are all just fighting for ROSTER SPOTS. That's competition. That's depth. That's no concern.

Again - why does it matter, signing big names correlate to spending big money. Go ask Snyder and Redskins how that works out as a yearly ritual. Compare that to the Patriots. Disappointment? I think not.

And since the Patriots have obviously a better, well-rounded team than msot other clubs, there's less need to go out there and dry out their pens. Sticking with what you have is usually better.

cstjohn17 said:
"Key Free' Agents ("key", that is rich.. "key" very funny)
Mel Mitchell (S), Eric Warfield(CB), Tebucky Jones (S), Martin Gramatica (K) , Reche Caldwell (WR)

Draft - time will tell but on paper it looks pretty good.

I feel a little better but am still a little ticked we didn't do more to improve obvious weaknesses.

Go Pats, less than 6 weeks to opening day... I feel a little better

By "improve," do you mean that concept of if a team loses one player of a certain value, that they go out and replace him with a player of equal value and an equal playing style/dynamic? As we Patriot fans know very well, it's not the sum of the parts can be less than the whole. Samuel/Gay didn't equally replace Poole/Law, nor did Wilson equally replace Milloy, or Mankins/Koppen equally replace Andruzzi/Woody. In the long run, can you honestly say those were weaknesses on the team which ALSO affected the teams' success both in the current season? Of course not. And better yet, the constant youth movement imrpoves the team down the road.

I hate how writers obsess over a teams' loss/gain charts for an off-season, and analyze their "key" free agents. This crap, nevermind the media, is irrevelant. "Predictions are bull****."

Gramatica's chances of even making the team are quite slim, so even calling him a "key" free agent is an interesting choice.

It's always the subtle improvements that matter. The Patriots' special teams was medicore at best during last season, especially down the stretch where they contributed to the early exit, and you can clearly see that was a focus of the Patriots' offseason. Vinatieri gave way to Gostkowski. Chatham and Stone gave way to Jones and Mitchell, who are added to the current special teams core of Izzo, Davis, Pass, Banta-Cain, and others. Dwight, Davis, and Bethel made their way out of town, while BB went out and drafted Andrews and will give chances for internal replacements in Childress, Hobbs, Stone, et. al.

If you're looking for what happened this past offseason, don't just give minor moves a passing glance, while obsessing over over-priced big names like Law.

I'm thoroughly disgusted and embarassed by the fact that many fans' opinion of this offseason was hinging on Ty Law.

Last edited:
I'm just happy about Law signing SOMEWHERE so we won't be drowning in these stupid "Has Ty Law signed with anybody yet?" threads anymore. :D

He's a true poster boy for the term "mercenary". I'm sorry but there's no "effin" way he plays for KC for 5 years. I'd be surprised if he plays for more than one because it'll be the same sort of deal as his Jet's gig was, an ego salving 1 year deal in actuality while framed around a 5 year deal of rhetorical fluff money that will never really be seen by him.

Great quote from Chiefs DE Jared Allen upon hearing the news:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/articles/2006/07/23/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_cb_ty_law/

But the defense last year showed signs of coming around, with the signing of Surtain and the emergence of second-year defensive end Jared Allen, who led the team with 11 sacks.

Law cost the Jets around $6 million last year. Terms of his deal with Kansas City were not immediately available.

His presence is certain to excite both fans and teammates, as it did Allen, who was driving to Kansas City on Sunday when told of the news.

"That is awesome," he shouted. When he turned to teammate and linebacker Boomer Grigsby and told him, Grigsby let out a whoop, too.

"That's going to be a huge help to us," Allen said. "Our defense is going to be awesome. The guy's a great athlete, a great player. He's been to the Super Bowl."

:eat2:

Last edited:
pats1 said:
I'm thoroughly disgusted and embarassed by the fact that many fans' opinion of this offseason was hinging on Ty Law.

Wow! I know I speak for a good number of fans who didn't see the off season as hinging on Ty Law's signing. We just wanted him back because he's a proven player in this system and he automatically makes our secondary better. You mentioned a whole slew of names in our secondary. I do not believe that any one of them is better than Ty Law. This is why I wanted him back, not because he's a big name overpriced player.

We don't even know what the contract details are so it's difficult to say if he was overpriced. Granted, with Law being Law, the contract was likely pretty big. With that said, it's difficult to comment on that at this point when we don't even have details on what type of offer he accepted.

Ty Law is smart for being all about the money.. He has his superbowl rings and all his pro-bowls. He really does not have to much more to worry about other than making some more money before he retires. I would do the same thing hes doing, getting all the money you can from this leauge before it makes you retire in your mid 30's. I believe that most people in his situation would also do the same. Plus hes with his former coach and knows the system quit well.

i am not surprised at all that he went to KC.

now he is definitely the past

smg93 said:
Too bad, I wanted Ty Law back. Any news on what the contract numbers were?

NESN this morning said 5 yrs, averaging $6M per year. Too rich for my blood.

belichickaholic said:
Not about "the benjamins"...MANY benjamins...AGREED!!

With the 5 year, 30mil you'd be looking at paying Law more than or equal to what thier offering Branch. No way. Does this possibly shake a few more $ out for Branch? I doubt it but you never know.

Coog548 said:
Ty Law is smart for being all about the money.. He has his superbowl rings and all his pro-bowls. He really does not have to much more to worry about other than making some more money before he retires. I would do the same thing hes doing, getting all the money you can from this leauge before it makes you retire in your mid 30's. I believe that most people in his situation would also do the same. Plus hes with his former coach and knows the system quit well.

Keep in mind that Herm is an easier coach to play for than BB. Law can stay fat, play undisciplined ball where he gets lots of interference pentalties to go with his interceptions, make lots of money and never see another championship. That was his choice vs. getting in shape, playing a better game for a better coach, earning immortality by breaking the Pats' team interceptions record, possibly earning another ring and making less money. He will not win a ring under Herm. Bottom line: easier life, more money, less accomplishment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes