Status
Not open for further replies.

Triumph

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
JETS' NEW DB 'DARES' PATS TO THROW HIS DIRECTION
By MARK CANNIZZARO

November 12, 2008

Ty Law is on board as a Jet, despite having not played an NFL game in almost a year, supposedly ready to play in tomorrow night's JetsNew York Jets -Patriots clash at Gillette Stadium for first place in the AFC East.

The timing was odd. But isn't that what Jets-Patriots weeks are all about?

This is merely another chapter in the thick book of trickery and mind games that has characterized this rivalry of hate, disdain and jealousy.

Law yesterday wasn't only talking like he's a lock to play against his former team tomorrow night, he was already playfully talking trash - daring Bill Belichick to throw at him.

"I would throw at me, too," Law said. "I'm just coming back, haven't played, they call me 'old man.' Hell, throw at me. That's what any smart coach would do. I relish the opportunity and look forward to the challenge."

Belichick said yesterday of Law: "He's a good player. We know Ty. He's very competitive with good ball skills. You have to be careful throwing around him."

As for Jets coach Eric Mangini, who certainly would prefer a lower profile from Law, he was much closer to the vest with his plans for the defensive back.

"We'll see how it goes [in practice]," Mangini said. "I think there's definitely a chance [Law will play]. We're looking for him to come in, play a role on the team, just like everyone else."

Law, 34, played for the Jets in 2005 under Herman Edwards, collected 10 INTs and went to the Pro Bowl. He played two more years with the Chiefs but hasn't since any action since 2007.

"I'm just happy I'm able to come out here, and whatever they ask me to do I'll do," Law said. "I feel like a rookie again. I'm excited about it.

"I've got to get in where I fit in and eventually probably be more than just a role player."

That, of course, would mean he's gunning for rookie Dwight Lowery's job. Lowery has been starting since the beginning of the season and, after a strong start, has had problems of late. In fact, he was benched a couple of times in recent weeks.

Lowery, mature beyond his years, took the Law signing in stride. The rookie acknowledged the signing of Law may be a reflection of his recent struggles.

"Yeah. Why wouldn't it be?" Lowery said. "I'm a young guy and things are going to happen. In this situation here, I'll just take it as something to learn from. I honestly feel like this situation couldn't be any better for me and the Jets, so it works for us both.

"[Law] has played in the league a long time, done great things. Any time you bring in a player of that caliber, it can be nothing but a positive thing, especially for the younger players."

One thing that didn't occur upon Law's arrival was a number switch. Law has always worn No. 24, but CB Darrelle RevisDarrelle Revis , who grew up in Law's hometown of Aliquippa, Pa., wears No. 24.

"That was never even part of the discussion," Mangini said. "It was important to Ty that Darrelle keep No. 24."

Law is going with No. 22, his old college number.

How No. 22 does tomorrow night, whether it's chasing Wes Welker around in the slot or whatever he's asked to do, will go a long way toward labeling this a smart move or the curious one is appears to be on the surface.

[email protected]

I just hope they put him on welker...itll be an embarassment for law

The article is fine by me. I do not see where he 'dares' NE to throw at him. He just acknowledges that it would be a smart thing to test him.

I'm sure all of Ty's new teammates are thrilled with this sort of behavior a few days after being signed. These types of challenges are to the Patriots what Spinach is to Popeye.

Either that or perhaps he wants Cassel to throw at the bench?

"dares NE to throw at him"? Where does he DARE them? This is just more crap to try and get Pats fans fired up when there's actually nothing there.

What's the over-under on defensive holding/pass interference calls on Ty?

I bet he hardly plays tomorrow night. Seriously, what's the point signing him again? Did they just want to make headlines?

The Pats know way more about Law's strength and weaknesses than he knows about the Pats' currently. I really don't see him or his comments in this article as having a major effect on the game.

I think Law is just stating that it is logical for the Pats to try to pass on a 34 year old CB who has been sitting at home all offseason and the regular season until Monday and has clearly declined and has some weight issues in recent years. I don't see the controversy here.

If the Pats added Colvin today, I would expect the Jets to run right at him a lot tomorrow night.

I'm sure all of Ty's new teammates are thrilled with this sort of behavior a few days after being signed. These types of challenges are to the Patriots what Spinach is to Popeye.

Either that or perhaps he wants Cassel to throw at the bench?

What type of behavior are you talking about exactly?

This is the dare?

"I'm just coming back, haven't played, they call me 'old man.' Hell, throw at me. That's what any smart coach would do. I relish the opportunity and look forward to the challenge."

Someone needs to stop reading into those NY Post headlines.

"dares NE to throw at him"? Where does he DARE them? This is just more crap to try and get Pats fans fired up when there's actually nothing there.

He did say something in his first statement (Google it - I found it in the Herald but I think it was quoted by Reiss as well). Specifically, "“I know they’re going to throw at me, but I welcome the challenge - bring it,” Law was quoted in the report. “I got the tricks for you.”"

It is only bulletin board material if it is credible. All the stats and rings in the world won't stop Father Time, so I expect the Pats will welcome his addition to the Jets secondary and give him some opportunities to watch receivers run by. I still believe he sees little to no playing time, so the statement really isn't worth getting fired up over.

Last edited:
well let's see.. A wide receiver like Randy Moss who has been thru training camp and played 9 regular season games vs a hold out who hasn't had a training camp nor seen game action in over a year.

I like that match-up

I still love Ty Law. I can't help myself.

Good...I'll throw YOU at Ty Law

Well, "dare" aside, I don't think this is going to matter much. We're not talking about the Pittsburgh safety (his name just will not come up for me) who talked trash and then got lit up. When you have Tom Brady throwing you can do things like that.

Cassel needs to keep doing what he's been doing, and that's playing smart and making the right throws at the right times. I doubt Law's comments will factor into the gameplan or his tendencies. If they do we deserve to lose.

What type of behavior are you talking about exactly?

"playfully talking trash" as the reporter stated, daring the Patriots to throw at him....

If you were there and can state unequivocally that Law wasn't talking trash, please let me know what he said.

I'm unclear why so many are so certain the reporter is lying about this.... or why they feel its smart for Law to be saying ANYTHING of this nature after being on a team for just a few days.

It would be stupid to engage in trash talk if Law had been there for 2 years, let alone 2 days.

Does anyone actually think Mangidiot or anyone else on the team is happy he's engaging in trash talk?

This old TY Law is a real tough guy when he knows he has sure help over the Top.:rolleyes:

I still love Ty Law. I can't help myself.

Ty Law is like that ex-girlfriend who you had some great times with a long time ago but who still looks good today, suggests the two of you go out some time, then repeatedly finds excuses why she cannot make the date. It's all about self-esteem, Patjew. Time to move on and realize the Patriots' Ty Law disappeared with the 2004 season and is not coming back.

Or perhaps he realizes he can best contribute to the Patriots by sucking for a hated rival, costing them a few games, and facilitating an early exit before the playoffs, thereby costing the Rat his head coaching position. There may be some Patriots blood in him yet. Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye