PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Law Cancels Golfing Appearance -- Close to a Deal with AZ or NE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dale is actually out of studio today so it was Holley and Smith and they did talk lots of Pats, though I never heard them mention any skinny on Ty while I was tuned in. Mostly they were talking Bethel and Sullivan.

This kind of blurb in an uninvolved out of town paper does smack a bit of a Poston a seedling story. Ty does have other business interests that could beckon and if people want to assume the Poston's aren't gonna put up a fight....

AZ hasn't been mentioned but they do have double digit 2006 cap depanding on what Lienart projects to down the road. And a new stadium opening that their billionaire owner didn't have to pay for. Last year as I recall they won the first half of games and appeared to have things in hand only to collapse on D in the second half. But Starks burned them pretty bad in the FA CB market.

If Law is signing here I imagine either Holley or Cafardo or Burton will break the story. Holley via team contacts, Cafardo via his Poston binky or Burton via the player. Burton is on the Big Show today but they are obcessing about the usual...

I have to say, that story didn't say anything. In my opinion it was just a 19-year-old reporter saying "possibly with the New England Patriots or Arizona Cardinals." He doesn't say he talked to anyone or gives any reasoning for why he mentioned those two teams, he just throws them out there. If you look at how short the story is, the paper it came from and the fact that he never backs up his suggestions, I have to say this probably nothing we should get too excited about.

Somewhat OT but according to Reiss, Law and Tony Dorsett are cousins. I had no idea.

that's why no huge DB moves this spring?

Mike the Brit said:
Excellent spot! Thanks. Keep us posted.
Law's from aliquippa pa, went to michigan, has played pro ball in new england and new york.
he may love dennis green. seems like a number of players do.
but does he want to go to a desert TC?
does he want to play every one of his games with temps on the field well above 100 degrees (farenheit)?
christmas eve & day, new year's eve & day, the on-field temp may be 95.
you go running at 10 danged PM (i have) in scottsdale, the temp things on top of buildings say 100 and 102.
the air's so dry, you can walk around in it without much discomfort. it IS dangerous, tho. i have no idea what it's like to play nfl football in it.
just can't see ty law deciding to play there, as opposed to someplace an hour and change from home.

dont let one get hold of ya tho

NEM said:
Since when is ther Beaver County Times small potatos?
Come on now, I am sure that the majority of Beavers that read it are well informed beavers, and very oriented in sports.
I, for one, have never met a Beaver that I didn't like.... ;)
i'm told that they're another of god's critters that won't let go once they get some teeth into ya.
otherwise, they are smart, brave, thrifty, kind.......

Last edited by a moderator:
patriotsrule said:
I have to say, that story didn't say anything. In my opinion it was just a 19-year-old reporter saying "possibly with the New England Patriots or Arizona Cardinals." He doesn't say he talked to anyone or gives any reasoning for why he mentioned those two teams, he just throws them out there. If you look at how short the story is, the paper it came from and the fact that he never backs up his suggestions, I have to say this probably nothing we should get too excited about.

I thought he had said "according to Law's agent"

So what we have here is the Postons going out of their way to find a reporter who won't be able to fact check with the teams involved, at a small town newspaper that still will be picked up online, to leak a story out in the hopes of getting one or more teams to up their bids.

There's a reason why the Postons didn't make this comment to ESPN or the Boston Globe...

Call me silly but the Postons just can't be trusted as a source for any information

Earlier this evening someone over at Jestinsider posted that the Patriots have made Law a final offer and he has until this weekend to accept it. If he doesn't accept it by this weekend, the offer will be pulled.

Now that could very well be total BS and probably is. I just thought I'd pass it along because I haven't seen it posted here.

PATSNUTme said:
Earlier this evening someone over at Jestinsider posted that the Patriots have made Law a final offer and he has until this weekend to accept it. If he doesn't accept it by this weekend, the offer will be pulled.

Now that could very well be total BS and probably is. I just thought I'd pass it along because I haven't seen it posted here.
Sounds like the kind of thing the Patriots would do so without knowing the source it sounds reasonable to me.

Sounds like a set-up by a Poston. Why would Ty have to leave a charity golf tourney (I'm assuming its charity). He supposedly has taken a Pats physical and talked to BB a number of times. What's the urgency that it couldn't wait to after this outing? If the numbers fit, why couldn't Ty get a fax to sign and return. Happens all the time. No, I can't play golf because I have to rush back to N.E. and sign an offer because the season ended yesterday and starts Monday? I'd be surprised if there is any Ty signings any time soon.

ilduce06410 said:
Law's from aliquippa pa, went to michigan, has played pro ball in new england and new york.
he may love dennis green. seems like a number of players do.
but does he want to go to a desert TC?
does he want to play every one of his games with temps on the field well above 100 degrees (farenheit)?
christmas eve & day, new year's eve & day, the on-field temp may be 95.
you go running at 10 danged PM (i have) in scottsdale, the temp things on top of buildings say 100 and 102.
the air's so dry, you can walk around in it without much discomfort. it IS dangerous, tho. i have no idea what it's like to play nfl football in it.
just can't see ty law deciding to play there, as opposed to someplace an hour and change from home.
All he cares about is the money he gets ;)

But I would love to see him return...

But I would hate to see Samuel, Hobbs and Gay get pushed back when they are really starting to turn it up.

Last edited:
Maybe there was a thunderstorm or that he just did not feel like golfing that day.

I understand Law. I know that he'd be the type of golfer to double bogey every hole.

Ty Law has the case of the shanks!

scout said:
Sounds like a set-up by a Poston. Why would Ty have to leave a charity golf tourney (I'm assuming its charity). He supposedly has taken a Pats physical and talked to BB a number of times. What's the urgency that it couldn't wait to after this outing? If the numbers fit, why couldn't Ty get a fax to sign and return. Happens all the time. No, I can't play golf because I have to rush back to N.E. and sign an offer because the season ended yesterday and starts Monday? I'd be surprised if there is any Ty signings any time soon.

Maybe he found out the charity was not for him and left after saying "bu-but how am I gonna feed my family?"

scout said:

The one contract reason that would make sense is if the Pats have given him an offer with a date certain (say this weekend) to take it or leave it and the Poston's are desperately trying to get someone else (like AZ) to show interest in an effort to convince their client not to take the deal. Arizona likely would not have made a concrete offer yet because he hadn't visited or had a physical with them, and Ty wouldn't necessarily be willing to accept an offer from them until he met with Green.

The Poston's don't appear to be the source of the story, but now that it's out there it likely serves their purpose of racheting up interest from the teams they have talked to. It could well be Ty is tired of being on the market and leaning towards taking the offer and the Poston's told him to be prepared to travel as they undertake one last push to get actual competing offers on the table. Aside from Felger's report that we have actually taken it to the proposals level, last we heard nobody else actually had gotten beyond the very prelimary so what do you want stage.

Kdo5 said:
All he cares about is the money he gets ;)

But I would love to see him return...

But I would hate to see Samuel, Hobbs and Gay get pushed back when they are really starting to turn it up.

ITA - I was looking forward to these guys really stepping up this year.

Found this out on KFFL:

*Cardinals | Law would have to compromise to play in Arizona
Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:22:23 -0700

Darren Urban, of the East Valley Tribune, reports the Arizona Cardinals are in the hunt for free agent CB Ty Law (Jets), but Law would have to compromise to get a contract with the team. The Cardinals are believed to have at least $10 million in salary cap space available, but $4.1 million is dedicated to the rookie pool. Law is looking for a $10 million signing bonus, on top of his lofty salary requests on a multi-year deal. The money for Law could be available if both sides were willing to compromise. Kevin Poston, Law's agent, said Law has no problem playing in Arizona "but they would have to pony up."*

sure sounds like him, right? "they would have to pony up" Law

zippo59 said:
Maybe he found out the charity was not for him and left after saying "bu-but how am I gonna feed my family?"

:rofl:

p.s. awesome pics of Maroney and Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back