Welcome to PatsFans.com

Law And Order (The TV Show)

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by scout, Nov 6, 2007.

1. scout

scout Rookie

Ratings:
    +44 / 0 / -2

#15 Jersey

Like I tell my dog, it's TV (he barks at those damn eagles on commercials). No problem with shows that mimic the real world. Where I have a problem are shows that present a real life version of an event and have the facts wrong. Docudramas are very good at misconstruing historical events. Don't try to re-write history. TV series are for entertainment and nothing more.
  2. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

So I normally like the show Law and Order. It has a cool set up and some pretty interesting cases sometimes. However I saw an episode a few nights ago that crossed the line in my opinion.
    It was very political oriented (much like the show usually is)... but I think it went way to far. It went after Helios (A british Blackwater type company)... and went after water boarding. Not that I agree with either but I think that perhaps TV shows should try and be less political and more entertainment. CSI has always had the shock and awe value without having to go into politics...

So I guess I am asking... should TV shows, movies, magazines, etc that are meant to be for entertainment try to stay away from politics or is pushing a particular agenda okay?

On a side note, Saw 4 is just as bloody and gruesome as I expected. Amazing movie if your into that.
  3. sdaniels7114

sdaniels7114 Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

The 'ripped from the headlines' type programs only mess up stupid people. They'd find something to get messed up by if the shows didn't exist. The Departed was still a good movie for example even if it wasn't even close to a true depiction of Whitey Bulger's life.
  4. maverick4

maverick4 Banned

Ratings:
    +17 / 0 / -0

Are you serious?

And I bet you have absolutely no problem with every season of Fox's '24', and that you don't think it's politically motivated or influential in any way.

What a hypocrite.
  5. Patters

Patters Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +227 / 6 / -8

I've seen shows that address abortion and religion in ways I don't like or stereotype people. Certainly the Arab terrorist was a theme in some shows for awhile, as was the perverted priest. TV shows do try to be topical, and it's hard to do that without having a point of view.

One issue I have with our culture now is that it is sadistic (humiliating reality shows, cruel tv dramas, degrading talent shows). I suspect this has to do with dominance of conservative values. Whereas conservativism can overreach in its advocacy of punishment and revenge, liberalism overreaches in terms of permissiveness and coddling. Couple those two things together, and you get today's tv, which has something to offend everyone.
  6. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +453 / 10 / -11

#24 Jersey

I just don't watch the ones I object to. I'm a huge fan of SVU but when I saw the one that Flea is referring to, I just switched it off. I don't need some TV guy telling me what's right and wrong.
  7. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

What a hypocrite? Why don't you stay off of the personal attacks and actually contribute something for once?
    I have never seen an episode of 24. Would I like the action? Sure. Maybe if you actually read my post you will notice that I said I normally like the show.
  8. fleabassist1

fleabassist1 Rookie

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I can agree with that... although I really like the show Cops. :)
  9. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

too bad they all do a fairly horrible job of entertaining...

sorry, but anyone who actually schedules time and "settles in" for primetime network TV dramas really needs to reassess his or her life... especially his...

there's precisely nothing "dramatic" about commercial breaks, sanitized language, or campy dialogue... zero... especially puke-enducing is this pretentious and contrived new practice of filming shows with the shaky camera aesthetic... how fraudulent ... i mean, as soon as i stop on a pre-recorded, high budget network show and see the camera shaking all over the place, as if it's being filmed by a real live, and nervous camera guy (ooooooooh!), i immediately hate the show, and everyone on it... keep the f**king camera steady, and get on with your pre-written dialogue and laughable special effects...

network TV is dying.. everyone knows it... the news is corporate, the commercials repetitive and retahded, and the sports coverage is grating... soon, the NFL and all the smart major sports will be a la carte... (i've always said, the best game any network ever did was a "broadcaster-free" experiment on NBC between the Jets and Dolphins in 1980.... complete silence, save for the crowd and field sounds.... no dumbass announcers leading you by the hand)...

HBO and other pay networks have the best weekly shows... it's been that way for over a decade...
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007