PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laveranues Coles opposite Moss?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Riddler

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
Now with our CAP space free, how would Coles look playing opposite Moss ? I think he'd be a perfect compliment, a guy that's tough, physical and would be great on the interior and sidelines in this offense.

Re: Laveranues Coles opposite Moss ?

Now with our CAP space free, how would Coles look playing opposite Moss ? I think he'd be a perfect compliment, a guy that's tough, physical and would be great on the interior and sidelines in this offense.

I'd scoff, but with only one team in the running (last I heard, and it's Buffalo) he might be affordable. I doubt it, but that would certainly be an upgrade from the Gaffster.

Re: Laveranues Coles opposite Moss ?

I don't think there is a lot of cap left after you do the Wilfork deal, try and figure the cost of keeping Seymour, and then try and work a deal for Peppers.

Not to mention the JAG CB that we are looking to bring on and the draft picks - 6 in the top 100 picks this year? That's gonna be expensive as well.

I figure Bill will try and move some of those picks to 2010, and the Peppers deal is obviously smoldering out there somewhere - It may not happen, but I have a feeling as we get closer to the draft Carolina is going to want to dump that $16 million in cap and Bill can't help himself but be intrigued with what he could do in the Patriots system.

Too many (defensive) holes, too few $.

No thanks.

i rather sign Peppers and pick up WR in the draft! Remember WR Furrey has already visited the Patriots! So we will see!! Anybody stuck in this snowstorm? CT so far has about 9 inches of snow!!

Coles was due $6 million from the Jets and thought he could make more on the open market. Enough said.

Plus, offense is not what the Pats need other than a third WR (Coles is not a third WR). They need to replenish the D - LB's and CB's.

Last edited:
I believe he was looking for over $6 million per year. Too rich for our 3rd receiver I would think.

I'd rather have Torry Holt because we need a split end. We have a slot and a flanker, we need a split end. Coles plays flanker and doesn't have much of what you look for in a split end.

Don't need him. Not for that price. We need a top flight pass rusher, a happy NT, and a serious upgrade @ CB. That's where the $$ needs to be spent.

id much rather see them bring in a guy like Devery Henderson.

id much rather see them bring in a guy like Devery Henderson.

Henderson has been a classic underachiever his whole career, while Coles has consistently been one of the most reliable and productive receivers in the league.

I'd take him if the price is right. I honestly don't think this team will be going after Peppers (even if I'd like them to).

I'd rather have Torry Holt because we need a split end. We have a slot and a flanker, we need a split end. Coles plays flanker and doesn't have much of what you look for in a split end.

can you pls describe the difference between the flanker and split end, and what characteristics you look for in each?

I would like to see maybe a drew bennett brought in hes pretty fast and has height which is nice in the redzone.

can you pls describe the difference between the flanker and split end, and what characteristics you look for in each?

Honestly, the "characteristics" you look for in both of them are dependent upon the system, but they tend to be more or less the same. Lining up half a step back or on the line doesn't really change the ability you're looking for in a wide receiver. Years ago, it made a difference, but in modern times it's more signifying the #1 and #2 receivers (the flanker tends to line up on the side the quarterback prefers to throw to). Receivers play both positions in every single game. I think jays52 was just trying to look smart; maybe Torry Holt would be a better fit or his preference, but it has nothing to do with the (very small) difference between SE and FL.

For what it's worth, Coles tended to line up in the split end position anyways, so the argument is pretty irrelevant.

Sure thing bro. The split end is the reciever widest split from the linemen, on the LOS away from the tight end or "Y" reciever if there's a slot or H-Back in play. The split end is usually refered to as "X" in football. A pretty good example of the prototypical split end is like Terrell Owens or Larry Fitzgerald. What you look for in a split end is a guy who first can fight a jam off in one step. Because the split end plays on the LOS, in press coverage, the corner is rolled right up into his face. Consequently, having either the strength, moves or burst to get off jams is paramount for this position. You are also looking for a guy who has pretty good long speed, but also very good agility. You tend to see a lot of post routes, deep in-cuts, drag routes and other middle plays in addition to the longer plays typically seen from flankers.

The flanker plays on the same side as the tight end or "Y" reciever, behind the LOS. The flanker is refered to as the "Z" reciever in football. Randy Moss is the prototype for the position. You're ideally looking for a long, lean guy with outstanding deep speed and ball skills. The ability to get off of a jam is less important than the split end, but it is still important. In the Patriots offense, long speed is especially important as it forces coverages to be rolled outside the deep hashes and opens the underneath routes for the Y working inside of the Z. The inverse is equally true. If a dominant Y reciever is proving unstopable, the opposing teams will have to shift coverages inside his working area and open up the deep outside routes for the flanker. So yeah, speed is important.

Hope that this was helpful and if there's anything that I missed or didn't do a great job with, please feel free to let me know!

Honestly, the "characteristics" you look for in both of them are dependent upon the system, but they tend to be more or less the same. Lining up half a step back or on the line doesn't really change the ability you're looking for in a wide receiver. Years ago, it made a difference, but in modern times it's more signifying the #1 and #2 receivers (the flanker tends to line up on the side the quarterback prefers to throw to). Receivers play both positions in every single game. I think jays52 was just trying to look smart; maybe Torry Holt would be a better fit or his preference, but it has nothing to do with the (very small) difference between SE and FL.

For what it's worth, Coles tended to line up in the split end position anyways, so the argument is pretty irrelevant.

I respectfully disagree. While the job descriptions are similar, the skill sets required are different, at least in quite a few schemes. I also feel that Coles was playing out of position in NY. Look at the guy play. Look at his long speed, look as his footwork, look at how he fights press. He looks a lot like a flanker playing split end to me. Curious as to how your opinion differs.

I respectfully disagree. While the job descriptions are similar, the skill sets required are different, at least in quite a few schemes. I also feel that Coles was playing out of position in NY. Look at the guy play. Look at his long speed, look as his footwork, look at how he fights press. He looks a lot like a flanker playing split end to me. Curious as to how your opinion differs.

Playing out of position, he caught 70 balls for 850 yards and 8 TDs this past season. He's only caught less than 50 balls once, in his rookie season (he's only caught less than 70 three times - his rookie and sophomore years and 2007 when he missed 4 games). He's only caught less than 5 TDs in a season twice.

Why would the Jets and Redskins be playing him out of position for so long if he is one of the most remarkably consistent receivers in the game? Cotchery is much closer to your flanker prototype than Coles (who's a lot like a more dynamic David Givens) is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back