PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laurency Maroney vs. Corey Dillon

Status
Not open for further replies.

drpatriot

Third String But Playing on Special Teams
Reaction score
Since there are so many of these lately, I thought I'd add one of my own.

By week 17, will Maroney be sitting on the bench, phasing in or completely taking over Corey Dillon's starting spot?

I had the distinct privilege of watching Dillon play in college. He played against the team I rooted for and carried 5 of our undersized guys for 5 yards every time. Maroney is a north/south runner, but not in the style of Dillon. Maroney will hit the hole and be gone. Maroney's faster, but Dillon is Dillion.

Maroney is the perfect complimentary to Dillon. Dillion will help by keeping him from being pounded and worn down (it happens to college backs all the time), and Maroney will help Dillon by freeing things up as a change of pace. (Just imagine how out of breath the secondary is after chasing Maroney! LOL).

As long as everybody's healthy and Dillon doesn't get upset about sharing time, I see Dillon as a "big-formation, push the pile" kinda back in the future.

How about Godzilla vs King Kong? I wonder who would win? Probably Godzilla, King Kong had a soft side to him.:singing:

OK back to Dillon vs Maroney. Both can be used very effectively. Also if both are working well, it helps Brady a lot in selling the play action.

I think we will see a priest holmes/larry johnson duo here. Both corey and laurence will contribute to our running game alot.

Desi's close to right here. We'll get 5-10 Maroney carries per game most games. Another comparison (shudder) would be Davis/Foster in Carolina. I think we definitely rely more on Dillon this season, but give Maroney his carries... he does not ride the pine all year by any stretch of the imagination. I also think this approach goes on as long as Dillon is Dillon (as we remember him.) Yeah he rushed for 3.5 a carry or something last year - injured, and with a makeshift line. Well, everybody's back on the O-line, and now the "newbies" are vets with a year of experience behind them. Plus (stop me if you've heard this one...) what if O'Callaghan can compete at NFL level, as a run blocker?

Point is, Dillon could bounce right back to elite status, and then the "get Maroney on the field!" debate is over. Yes, you get him on to spell Dillon - a series or two per game. Faulk continues in his third down role (oh yeah that's right, he's back too!) And Maroney gets to be patient a year or two, because he can help extend one great back's career, and potentially be another great back with fresh legs, once it truly makes sense.

Don't hope for seeing a full game of Maroney, unless it's like Miami last year, a meaningless game at the end... because that's the equivalent of hoping Corey's done.

Ah, but we'll see flashes here and there... just enough to tantalize.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Desi's close to right here. We'll get 5-10 Maroney carries per game most games. Another comparison (shudder) would be Davis/Foster in Carolina. I think we definitely rely more on Dillon this season, but give Maroney his carries... he does not ride the pine all year by any stretch of the imagination. I also think this approach goes on as long as Dillon is Dillon (as we remember him.) Yeah he rushed for 3.5 a carry or something last year - injured, and with a makeshift line. Well, everybody's back on the O-line, and now the "newbies" are vets with a year of experience behind them. Plus (stop me if you've heard this one...) what if O'Callaghan can compete at NFL level, as a run blocker?

Point is, Dillon could bounce right back to elite status, and then the "get Maroney on the field!" debate is over. Yes, you get him on to spell Dillon - a series or two per game. Faulk continues in his third down role (oh yeah that's right, he's back too!) And Maroney gets to be patient a year or two, because he can help extend one great back's career, and potentially be another great back with fresh legs, once it truly makes sense.

Don't hope for seeing a full game of Maroney, unless it's like Miami last year, a meaningless game at the end... because that's the equivalent of hoping Corey's done.

Ah, but we'll see flashes here and there... just enough to tantalize.

PFnV

I don't think there is any question Dillon's days are numbered. Even when he
wasn't injured he looked real tired at times last year.

Most likely Dillon will get most of the carries at first. But by November sometime I wouldn't be surprised to see Maroney getting 15 to 20 carries
a game. Once Maroney learns the system ( it won;t take long he's very
smart) why would BB keep him on the bench. BB has said it has been a long
time since he's had a back that can accelerate though a hole like Maroney.
The only thing holding Maroney back is getting to know the system and
8 or 10 games of NFL experience.

JR4 said:
I don't think there is any question Dillon's days are numbered. Even when he
wasn't injured he looked real tired at times last year.

Most likely Dillon will get most of the carries at first. But by November sometime I wouldn't be surprised to see Maroney getting 15 to 20 carries
a game. Once Maroney learns the system ( it won;t take long he's very
smart) why would BB keep him on the bench. BB has said it has been a long
time since he's had a back that can accelerate though a hole like Maroney.
The only thing holding Maroney back is getting to know the system and
8 or 10 games of NFL experience.

Here are our knowns and unknowns:
Known:
1) We know under last year's conditions CD could not produce (although he still piled up the TDs.)
2) We know under normal conditions CD is an elite back.
3) We know Maroney seems to have NFL-level game.

Unknown:
1) We do not know whether CD can return to 1300+ yards, 10+ TDs, assuming various other factors "break his way."
2) We do not know Maroney's value in the NFL.
3) We do not know the learning curve for Maroney.

My guesses are that Maroney could be competitive almost out of the gate. I would also hazard to guess that this year's conditions make Dillon a very good back once again.

On this we appear to disagree. He's 31, and will be 32 by year's end, which is understood - so, is he running on empty, or is it a year or two left at high level? I say the latter, but if it's the former, obviously (we think) we're well-positioned into the future.

If Corey comes back with a 4.5 ypc average, eating up clock when needed, picking up blitzes, do you really think the Pats take a flyer handing over the reins just because we're dying to see the new kid make good?

It's CD's to lose this year.

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
Here are our knowns and unknowns:

On this we appear to disagree. He's 31, and will be 32 by year's end, which is understood - so, is he running on empty, or is it a year or two left at high level? I say the latter, but if it's the former, obviously (we think) we're well-positioned into the future.

If Corey comes back with a 4.5 ypc average, eating up clock when needed, picking up blitzes, do you really think the Pats take a flyer handing over the reins just because we're dying to see the new kid make good?

It's CD's to lose this year.

PFnV

I just don't think CD can handle 20-25 carries a games without a performance drop off. Maybe his off seaon will make a new man of him but
I doubt it. I remember last year, even at times in 2004, Dillion was tired.

CD will do well if Maroney can lighten his load. But by November
if Maroney is making big plays why would BB stick with CD for most of the
carries? Of course if Maroney is not much better than CD then CD gets
the majority of carries.

I see it like this (percentage of carries between the two):

Weeks 1-5: 70-30 Dillon
Weeks 6-12: 60-40 Dillon
Weeks 13 through playoffs: 55-45 Dillon

I really believe that by the end of the season, we have a solid 1-2 punch--a "pick your poison" backfield.

I really do think you get to 65/35 by year's end... of course, if CD gets himself hurt and Maroney shines, it can happen way faster. We shall all see...
But ain't it nice not to be arguing the merits of Heath Evans?

PFnV

I think Corey not only had a lot going against him last season - high ankle sprain, banged up OL, rookies starting, etc... - but he also has an even BIGGER chip on his shoulder due to all this "he's done" talk. I expect he'll have a terrific 2006, closer to 2004 than 2005.

PATSNUTme said:
How about Godzilla vs King Kong?
Godzilla would kick King Kong's hairy butt. It's Mothra that Godzilla needs to watch out for!

spacecrime said:
Godzilla would kick King Kong's hairy butt. It's Mothra that Godzilla needs to watch out for!

This is the classic comparison-across-positions mistake. Godzilla played guard in college, and is less mobile and athletic than the freakishly gifted King Kong, who projects at left tackle. They could compete for either spot in camp, don't get me wrong, but I think going in you have to look at Kong to back up Light.

Mothra's massive size combined with ability to get airborne clearly marks him as a tight end. Ultraman, with a strong arm and prototypical QB size, looks like a good choice for Brady's backup.

Here's to a monster season!

PFnV

Last edited by a moderator:
Frankly, I believe Dillon is finished - soon - it could be in training camp, it could be in the first game or two.

The only way Dillon sees the ball more than Maroney is if CD just goes orbital and plays like he did two years ago. I'd say CD has a 50/50 chance, at best, of being our number one back for the bulk of next season. If LoMo starts flying through the secondary while CD is lugging hard for 3 yds around the corner, then BB will do the obvious and give the ball to the kid 15-20x/game. How Dillon handles the situation and the incessant media probing will be something to see.

PatsFanInVa said:
This is the classic comparison-across-positions mistake.
Good point. How do you see the tight end battle between Mothra and Rodan? I think Rodan's mobility gives him a better advantage going down the seam, but the thought of a Mothra wham block is certainly enticing.

Ghidra would chase 'em all down and crush them into the turf

spacecrime said:

I disagree here. Kong's is athleticism personified, and lacks only coaching to play at the elite level. Kong ripped dinosaurs' jaws open. Godzilla lacks the upper body strength to compete at the same level.

Mosi Moose said:
I see it like this (percentage of carries between the two):

Weeks 1-5: 70-30 Dillon
Weeks 6-12: 60-40 Dillon
Weeks 13 through playoffs: 55-45 Dillon

I really believe that by the end of the season, we have a solid 1-2 punch--a "pick your poison" backfield.

Breaking the season into parts is a great way to look at it. I would adjust the percentages, though, as follows:

Weeks 1-5: 90-10 Dillon
Weeks 6-12: 80-20 Dillon
Weeks 13-21: 75-25 Dillon

That's assuming both RBs are healthy.

My guess is that it takes Maroney a year or more to catch up to Dillon as a receiver, and two years to catch up to Dillon as a blitz picker-upper. Also he may never catch up to Dillon in terms of vision of the field. Corey's specialty is running into a jam at the line of scrimmage, standing still a moment while surveying his surroundings, then springing loose for a 28-yard gain. Maroney may surpass Dillon based on physical skills, but not based on vision. Dillon has Hall-of-Fame field vison.

Last edited:
spacecrime said:
Good point. How do you see the tight end battle between Mothra and Rodan? I think Rodan's mobility gives him a better advantage going down the seam, but the thought of a Mothra wham block is certainly enticing.

Look, I'm not going to sit here and argue that Rodan's not the more mobile of the two, but Mothra is still a lot more than a pure blocking TE. Luckily we don't have to choose between them in most sets... as for Ghidra, I'm as psyched as anybody to see this guy in action, but where do you put him? He'd not as mobile as Mothra or Rodan, doesn't have Kong's upper body strength or athletic ability, and cannot compare with Godzilla's pure bulk. Love his "high motor," but the guy has "Klecko II" written all over him, and sequels are never as good as the originals.

But this is what camp is all about, learning those little intangibles: Who plays bigger than he measures; who reads and reacts fluidly; who can shoot white hot energy rings or freezing ice crystals out of his mouth. In short - who is the better football player.

PFnV

I think everyone gets it...it's NOT one ot the other...it's a 1-2 punch...add in Failk and that will really add some potency... I wonder about how PCobbs looks in all of this??? Maybe a Pqd season and then??...not sure....I love the 1-2 notion..It will help Dillon a lot and lengthen his career..I love how he punishes as he rushes, but he is worn down later...NOW. Maroney will help out on that..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes