Welcome to PatsFans.com

Lauren Canario not living free in NH...

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by DarrylS, Nov 24, 2007.

1. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +188 / 7 / -23

Lauren Canario who first attained notoriety when she was arrested in the Kelo sitz in New London in the eminent domain case has reemerged in NH and she is raising hell. Initially she was arrested for visiting the Browns, the income tax people, and most recently for not having her car inspected. Maybe NH should reconsider the logo on its license plates..

Interesting story on her doing time in Conn., then the Keene free press and then there is a blog about her entitled free lauren canario.. she is now out of jail, after spending 35 days in solitary confinement.. but will probably wind up there again soon.

http://www.homelandstupidity.us/2006/12/22/lauren-canario-freed-after-three-months/

Almost three months to the day from when she was arrested, eminent domain protester Lauren Canario, the last holdout in the Kelo v. New London case, has been released from jail.

Canario, 49, was arrested September 22 and held on $20,000 bond after she refused to leave one of the Fort Trumbull homes in New London, Conn., which had been seized using eminent domain. She was protesting the taking of the neighborhood for private economic development.

In 2005, the Supreme Court gave its approval to the taking in Kelo v. New London, resulting in national outrage. Canario, one of those outraged, moved from Las Vegas, Nev., to New London and lived in one of the seized buildings until her September arrest.

http://freelaurencanario.com/

a blog about her time in NH prison..

http://www.keenefreepress.com/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=673&Itemid=36

Fun day today. A welcome change from Halloween when my toga party flopped. I wore sheets from my bed and stood next to my door all night. No one noticed. Washed up when the lights came on 7am or so. Refused oatmeal, toast, “butter”, and milk as usual. It’s Friday and I’m expecting word of my trial date. With breakfast a stack of disciplinary hearing notices came. One for threat to security of the facility, my usual offense, when I get out of my cell, refuse to return and they call an alarm to drag me back. 2 for failure to maintain personal hygiene, it’s interesting they didn’t cite me for this during my first 26 days when they didn’t offer me so much as a paper tower for cleaning my cell. Suddenly they come everyday asking if I’ll clean my cell. Sure I said the first day and did so. Next days I refused because everything was still clean. The last 3 notices are something new. “Creating/threatening a riot, work stoppage, or demonstration”. Wow! I started 3 riots? All right! No I find it’s for my hunger strike of 3 meals Monday. I started saying “I wont eat until I get some out-of-cell-time” at each meal. Apparently that’s a demonstration, or maybe a work stoppage (?) I’ll find out tomorrow. Funny stuff. I should demand that every minute of my presence here be recognized as a demonstration.

Perfected a couple sudoku puzzles, took a nap. “threatened a demonstration” again by refusing lunch.

“Canario, attorney visit!” Hey, I’m getting some out-of-cell-time. “Put on your mask and gloves!” I ignore them. I exit my cell. Hey, no cuffs for the walk to the meeting room! I get to the first door. “Face the wall, hands over your head, palms out!” I turn towards 3 guards wearing medical masks and gloves, and smile. “Turn around”, they say. I know I can beat this one, the public defender can see us from here. After demanding a few more time I say “Open the door” and it unlocks. I smile and greet Mr. Sculimbrere. He’s 29 years old, short dark hair, glasses, a bit short, a bit thick around the middle. I like him because he majored in philosophy, we both like Socrates, and gets a gleam in his eye when he talks about going to court. He says court Nov 7th, I smile I’ll probably see Jim on his birthday. He describes motions, evidence, New Hampshire law. His strategy is to suppress the evidence of my history of protesting and then argue the “resisting arrest” cha rge on the grounds that New Hampshire ’s article 10 – the right of revolution includes non-violent protests. That sounds contradictory, I tell him so. I ask if he’s ever been to court. Yes, he says, he’s even won jury trials. He says he’ll couch the concept of protesting in legal terms. He says he knows the judge Crocker, she’s sympathetic, she’s a former 60s radical feminist. She’s the best possible for this case. He asks I walk into the courtroom. I gave my word. He asks if I can ask the 2nd amendment crew to leave weapons outside the courtroom. I would, but I can’t use the phone or mail. Candlelight vigil on Monday. Yeah, should be spectacular, I say. Should I go? He asks. Yeah, if you’d like to. Will it be a jury trial?, I ask. Not at first, he says, but if we lose we can, under New Hampshire law, get a brand new trial with a jury. Weird. I guess that means if we win the prosecution can get a brand new trial with a jury, too.
  2. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

unbelievable... to think in HS we thought 1984 and Brazil were laughable films...

V: Good evening, London. Allow me first to apologize for this interruption. I do, like many of you, appreciate the comforts of every day routine- the security of the familiar, the tranquility of repetition. I enjoy them as much as any bloke. But in the spirit of commemoration, thereby those important events of the past usually associated with someone's death or the end of some awful bloody struggle, a celebration of a nice holiday, I thought we could mark this November the 5th, a day that is sadly no longer remembered, by taking some time out of our daily lives to sit down and have a little chat. There are of course those who do not want us to speak. I suspect even now, orders are being shouted into telephones, and men with guns will soon be on their way. Why? Because while the truncheon may be used in lieu of conversation, words will always retain their power. Words offer the means to meaning, and for those who will listen, the enunciation of truth. And the truth is, there is something terribly wrong with this country, isn't there? Cruelty and injustice, intolerance and oppression. And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission. How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror. I know why you did it. I know you were afraid. Who wouldn't be? War, terror, disease. There were a myriad of problems which conspired to corrupt your reason and rob you of your common sense. Fear got the best of you, and in your panic you turned to the now high chancellor, Adam Sutler. He promised you order, he promised you peace, and all he demanded in return was your silent, obedient consent. Last night I sought to end that silence.... ​
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2007