PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Latest Samuel Article by Reiss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asante don't let the door hit ya in the ass on the way out.

I know he's a decent CB, but you have to look at the big picture. BB has built this franchise based on the team first concept. Anyone who doesn't fit that mold is just poison to the rest of the team.

No one player is bigger than the team. I don't have a problem with the money so much as his attitude. And I seriously question whether he will ever have another year like this year or will we have to wait until his next "salary drive".

See ya kid.

Re: Come Ahhnn

No. You have to make decisions and you have to evaluate players. But my logic is that you offer them extensions when they have established themselves as reliable starters -- yes, Wilson and Samuel then, Warren, Wilfork and Hobbs now.

But, of course, you give them an offer that will set them up for life but not what they would get in free agency. It's a completely different approach and agents wouldn't like it (there isn't a "market" that they can just add ten per cent to) but the Eagles are using something like it and it is clear to me that, with the amount of resentment there is amongst players on their first contract, the Patriots need a radical re-think of their strategy.

Asante is NOT a bad guy -- just think about what it takes to get that tattoo!

I'm with you on the 'extend warren and wilfork bandwagon.' I like it when teams lock guys up. You give up money now but get extra years at an affordable price.

I'm just saying that Asante didn't fall into the category of a guy they should have locked up. He was a starter but nothing special. There were debates around here whether or not he was a nickleback forced to start due to necessity. The guy hadn't done anything to make anyone believe he'd become much more than just another starter. Starters have value, but at the right price. The Pats had no reason to throw money at him and Asante had no reason to agree to a deal ahead of time.

Until Rodney went down last year the consensus was that Eugene Wilson was a better player. I think he's a good example of a guy who we can be glad they didn't try to extend early.

Re: Come Ahhnn

I'm just saying that Asante didn't fall into the category of a guy they should have locked up. He was a starter but nothing special. There were debates around here whether or not he was a nickleback forced to start due to necessity. The guy hadn't done anything to make anyone believe he'd become much more than just another starter. Starters have value, but at the right price. The Pats had no reason to throw money at him and Asante had no reason to agree to a deal ahead of time.

Well, that's the point at which the "best personnel guy in the league" has to earn his money. You and I can only see how someone's playing, but they, if they know what they are doing, can see "trajectory".

As far as I can see, Asante is one tough and stubborn guy. He was a high school quarterback, didn't want to play corner, was thought too slow for the pros, but made it despite it all because he had athleticism and determination. That comes through the interviews and stories on him. Of course, Pioli and Belichick will know all of this far better than we do.

Did Asante have an incentive to do a deal? That is where the light has shone on me. Yes, of course. You're playing for a lot of money by your and my standards (I assume) -- 5 or 600,000 a year -- but you don't have enough money not to work again if something very bad happens. With a signing bonus of $6 million upwards you are in just that position. Holding off from a deal for an extra couple of years in the hope of turning 6 into 10 or whatever is a big, big risk to take and I think that most players could be persuaded to cash in on the lifetime security as early as possible.

In fact, I think that the fact that the Patriots have been putting that day back has been a cause of bitterness that has come through when negotiations were finally opened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes