PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Latest DraftTek mock (4/8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
What do you think of the players, and the positions?

1. OT Ryan Clady, Boise State
2. ILB Tavares Gooden, Miami
3a. CB Terrell Thomas, USC
3b. CB Chevis Jackson, LSU
4. OLB Geno Hayes, FSU
[OLB Bryan Kehl, BYU, is predicted to go two spots earlier.]
5. FS Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee
6. WR Kenneth Moore, Wake Forest
7. P Durant Brooks, Auburn

BTW--the Pats get a punter basically because I told them that there's a good chance the Pats would take a P if he represented good value. That said, I expect at least one of Dragosavich and Brooks to be off the board by the end of round 5, if not before.

1. OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

Fine pick. Value is OK. I wouldn't do it (for reasons I've stated numerous times) because I believe it marginally improves the offense...marginal only because there was so little room for improvement. The defense could improve by leaps and bounds with a top tier player from this draft class.

2. ILB Tavares Gooden, Miami
3a. CB Terrell Thomas, USC
3b. CB Chevis Jackson, LSU
4. OLB Geno Hayes, FSU

No problem with any of these. Good value and fills need areas. The CB picks may actually happen but not so sure about the LB. Talented and from FLA (meaning Belichick likely has personal/inside info on them from his Sunshine State travels), but they seem too "traditional"...not hybrid, conversion types. I recognize that is a horrible explanation and a pretty poor rationalization, but watcha gonna do?

5. FS Jonathan Hefney, Tennessee

Don't know anything about this guy but he better be a special team demon.

6. WR Kenneth Moore, Wake Forest

Ditto.

7. P Durant Brooks, Auburn

I don't know why all teams don't draft kickers and QBs with their 6th and 7th round picks. The chances of finding a useful player here are small so why not get a jump on camp competition for P, PK and 3rd string QB? Maybe you stumble upon a gem once every 5 years or so.

All-in-all...not bad, but doesn't thrill me. Hopefully the Pats make a bigger splash on improving and youthizing (youngering?) the defense.

If we take Tavres Gooden, we'll have two members of the infamous "7th Floor Crew" from Miami (the other being Merriweather). I would find that very strange.

I think you have to take value in the first. I can see a trade down in the first to improve our position in the 2nd. Clady might be the best pure LT in the draft, but he is unpolished and likely wont play right away. And he wont play any other position but T, thats why I think we will like Albert more.
I KNOW we wont take more than 1 rookie LB, and I think he will be 2nd day material. I LOVE the 3rd rd picks, hope they come off like that. If we want one of the 2 best Ps we will have to take him in the 5th.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye