PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Latest Cap Status Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where exactly is Tampa Bay going to spend all that money?

So you're numbers look pretty much right on the money then, Miguel. 10.8 mill exactly.

Any ideas how the Colts are 7 mill under the cap? Didn't I read about a month back they had less space then that? I haven't heard of them making any moves to clear space...

If the Pats use all their picks, how much cap space will be needed to sign the draftees?

I know Adrian Peterson, last year's #7 pick, has a deal worth $6mm or more per year. I do not know the cap charges, though.

If Jacksonville were to step up and use some of that cap room they've got, they could be scary good. Same goes for San Diego, to a lesser degree.

If Jacksonville were to step up and use some of that cap room they've got, they could be scary good. Same goes for San Diego, to a lesser degree.

True but who are you gonna spend it on?

True but who are you gonna spend it on?

Now? Tough to say. But looking at their status, I'm surprised they weren't mentioned publicly more as being in the mix for Moss or Asante. I'm sure they were in on them, I'm just surprised they didn't make a splash since they would seem to me to be the posterchild for "one piece away". The other fringe team, the Browns, definitely improved this offseason, so I'm surprised the Jags were relatively idle I guess.

By the way if I were San Diego I'd make a big run at Ty Law. He could be a free-lancer for them and let Weddle man-up on slot receivers, which Weddle would be good at with his corner background. I was hoping the Pats got him last year. They'd have a great nickel secondary.

How are the Jets going to sign that #6 pick (et al) with 4.5 million? I guess they'll have to spread it out into future years and deal with it later. Which probably means Mangina doesn't expect to be there next year and if he is they won't be signing anymore big names anytime soon.

How are the Jets going to sign that #6 pick (et al) with 4.5 million? I guess they'll have to spread it out into future years and deal with it later. Which probably means Mangina doesn't expect to be there next year and if he is they won't be signing anymore big names anytime soon.

That or they've got some more cuts ahead. I agree with you about Mangini, he's certainly not demonstrating the fiscal responsibility of someone you look at as being around long term. I'm sure it's been made clear to him that it's win now or you're gone. Not exactly the smartest way to run a franchise.

That or they've got some more cuts ahead. I agree with you about Mangini, he's certainly not demonstrating the fiscal responsibility of someone you look at as being around long term. I'm sure it's been made clear to him that it's win now or you're gone. Not exactly the smartest way to run a franchise.

It's not his job. His job is to coach. I'm sure his player recommendations are given a lot of weight, but he's not at all responsible for the team fitting under the salary cap. Tannenbaum actually got the GM job because he was a cap guru.

It's not his job. His job is to coach. I'm sure his player recommendations are given a lot of weight, but he's not at all responsible for the team fitting under the salary cap. Tannenbaum actually got the GM job because he was a cap guru.

Oh, I'm sure it's an organization-wide philosophy shift, but it's hard to deny they've shifted into a win-now-at-all-costs approach, and I have to think that Mangini being on the hot seat has at least some correlation to that.

The Jets I think will save a bunch of mil (7, 8?) when the finally get rid of Dwayne Robertson.

If the Pats use all their picks, how much cap space will be needed to sign the draftees?

I know Adrian Peterson, last year's #7 pick, has a deal worth $6mm or more per year. I do not know the cap charges, though.

The Vikings, who had picks 7, 44, 72, 102, 146, 176, 217, and 233, had about $4.8M in rookie salary cap room.

Since the Pats currently hold 7, 62, 69, and 94, plus four later picks, I would expect that they would receive a similar rookie cap (somewhere between $4.8M and $5.3M).

Last edited:
The Vikings, who had picks 7, 44, 72, 102, 146, 176, 217, and 233, had about $4.8M in rookie salary cap room.

Since the Pats currently hold 7, 62, 69, and 94, plus four later picks, I would expect that they would receive a similar rookie cap (somewhere between $4.8M and $5.3M).

For those who haven't read other threads, I should add one addendum here: the number I quoted assumes that the Pats use the specific picks assigned to them. If they gain additional picks, the rookie cap will go up. If they trade down in this year's draft, or trade picks into next year, that number will go down (e.g., if they trade this year's seventh for a sixth next year, that would cut their cap by ~$300K).

There have been numerous threads on this. But here is the rundown. Adrian Peterson's contract had a cap hit of 2.04 million last year. The maximum increase in the rookie pool is 5%. So that spot would carry a cap hit of 2.142 million this year.

Also, Peterson's contract could have averaged just over $8 million a year IF he hit every single bonus in his contract. He didn't. So, who know, exactly, what his contract will end up being.

I am amazed that neither Tampa nor Jacksonville has stepped up to sign Bryant Johnson. Who is arguably as good or better than the likes of Jerry Porter and Javon Walker.

Also, Tampa NEEDS to spend some money because they are in jeopardy of not reaching the cap FLOOR. Yes, you read that right. There is a cap FLOOR. An absolute minimum that teams are required to spend every year. Also, I believe, and Miguel can correct me on this, that when teams don't use all the cap money, the salary caps get adjusted up for the following year.

There have been numerous threads on this. But here is the rundown. Adrian Peterson's contract had a cap hit of 2.04 million last year. The maximum increase in the rookie pool is 5%. So that spot would carry a cap hit of 2.142 million this year.

More or less, but not exactly. The rookie cap allocations are based on a formula, not explicitly on the previous year's cap hits. Also, there is no rule on individual cap hits; in theory, if a team wanted to, it could sign just one of its rookies to the full value of the rookie salary cap, but they would not be able to sign any other drafted rookies. (I think they'd be able to sign UDFA rookies at minimum contracts, though.)

In other words, the cap hit should be about $2.14M, but the fact that Peterson's cap hit was $2.04M does not automatically establish the fact.

Also, Tampa NEEDS to spend some money because they are in jeopardy of not reaching the cap FLOOR. Yes, you read that right. There is a cap FLOOR. An absolute minimum that teams are required to spend every year. Also, I believe, and Miguel can correct me on this, that when teams don't use all the cap money, the salary caps get adjusted up for the following year.

That's true, but if they don't reach the cap floor, the difference between their cap hits and the cap floor just gets paid out to the players on the roster. And I believe they can--and will--use the "extra" space to lock up players long-term.

Any ideas how the Colts are 7 mill under the cap? Didn't I read about a month back they had less space then that? I haven't heard of them making any moves to clear space...

A month back people were using the $116 million figure. The Colts' adjusted cap is $123,230,115.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes