PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Laterals as long as the one to Edelman followed by a pass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Canin

Practice Squad Player
Reaction score
The throws by non-QBs I can recall are mainly preceded by short laterals or pitches. Suna, for example, had some great passes in these situations.

But has the Edelman-type play, where there is a long overhead lateral to the receiver, who then throws a long pass, been done? (And when?) With a long lateral, you need a lot more precision in the play.

Also, in the Edelman play, an offensive lineman (Solder) threw a cut block against the rusher (Suggs) to force the rusher's arms down and clear the passing lane for the QB. Has that been done?

The Pats have used an overhand lateral in the past although the WR didn't throw the pass. In the 2007 playoffs vs steelers Brady passed to Moss back to Brady for Brady to bomb it over the top to Gaffney. I don't believe that there was OL cutting on that play though as Moss needed blocks to sell the play.

That was a good flea flicker but like you said no throw from the receiver. Actually Moss dropped that pass oddly enough.

Dunno. Maybe look at all of Randel El's td throws to start out?

If I recall, in 2001 Brady to Patton to ? Against colts. Patton ran for TD, scored on pass and threw a TD that day.

Dunno. Maybe look at all of Randel El's td throws to start out?

Good idea, he was a great player, Edelman like with his quickness and versatility.

His SB TD pass was from a pitch not a long lateral, another I saw was from a handoff. I didn't see anything from a long lateral off youtube, but this may because most of the highlight plays have been taken down. So I still haven't found yet one long pass from a long lateral other than Edelman's.

Frustrating that it's so hard to search for videos. Game rewind has no useful search function and most youtube videos are taken down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes