PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Late Round Offensive Skill Players

mayoclinic

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Pats currently have an early 6th round pick from TB and an early 7th from Tennessee. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 6th round comp pick, and I wouldn't be surprised if BB manages to pick up an extra late round pick along the way (he's done so in 2012, 2013 and 2014).

I personally want to use the first 4 rounds to focus on the lines, with 2 picks on both OL and DL (including DE/OLB). But I'd love to address some depth at the offensive skill players in the later rounds, and with UDFAs. Some guys who come to mind as good potential values:

RB: Karlos Williams, Malcolm Brown, Josh Robinson, Synjyn Days
WR: DeAndre Smelter, Tre McBride, Jamison Crowder, Deontay Greenberry, Devante Davis, Kasen Williams
TE: Jesse James, Jean Sifrin, MyCole Pruitt, Blake Bell

I think there's likely to be some very good talent available in the 6th and 7th rounds, and in the UDFA class.

Discuss.

That's the aisle we should be shopping for them. Blake Bell intrigues me. He's a specimen. His dad was a very high pick and he's got the right genes. Obviously, not a qb. Big, smart, tough kids with size and athletic ability are usually a good gamble. He won't contribute much next year. But, could turn into a pretty good TE. He looks the part. I'm terrible at rating wr's. I'll stay out of that one and go with Manx's boy Smelter.

I'm reserving one of those picks for Shaq Mason. Jean Sifrin probably gets the other one although he might go higher. Obviously i'd be happy with Smelter or McBride and Blake Bell has intrigued me for a while although I haven't seen him in action very much.

For now:

6th round: Jean Sifrin
7th Round: Shaq Mason

suits me perfectly.

I'm reserving one of those picks for Shaq Mason. Jean Sifrin probably gets the other one although he might go higher. Obviously i'd be happy with Smelter or McBride and Blake Bell has intrigued me for a while although I haven't seen him in action very much.

For now:

6th round: Jean Sifrin
7th Round: Shaq Mason

suits me perfectly.

I think Googs likes more size in his linemen, and I want to OLs in the first 4 rounds. For my purposes, I'm assuming a 6th round comp pick, and going with:

6th (TB). DeAndre Smelter
6th (comp). Jesse James/Jean Sifrin, or Josh Robinson
7th (Tenn). Tre McBride
Extra late round pick or UDFA: whichever one of TE/RB is left over; Synjyn Days and Blake Bell get extra attention as UDFAs or with an extra 7th round pick

6-7/UDFA round weapons I love:
WR: Jamison Crowder, Duke; Jordan Taylor, Rice; Devin Smith, Ohio State; Bradley Marquez, Texas Tech
TE: Jesse James, Penn State; Westlee Tonga, Utah
RB: Karlos Williams, FSU; Bill Belton, PSU; Prince-Tyson Gulley, 'Cuse

I think we have the locker room to help dorial green-beckam straighten out. He's an elite wr prospect who we can hopefully pick up late.

I think we have the locker room to help dorial green-beckam straighten out. He's an elite wr prospect who we can hopefully pick up late.
Lotta red flags, didn't even play in like 2 years, rather take a safe guy like Devin Smith and a project Day 3 like Jamison Crowder or Jordan Taylor

The Pats currently have an early 6th round pick from TB and an early 7th from Tennessee. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a 6th round comp pick, and I wouldn't be surprised if BB manages to pick up an extra late round pick along the way (he's done so in 2012, 2013 and 2014).

I personally want to use the first 4 rounds to focus on the lines, with 2 picks on both OL and DL (including DE/OLB). But I'd love to address some depth at the offensive skill players in the later rounds, and with UDFAs. Some guys who come to mind as good potential values:

RB: Karlos Williams, Malcolm Brown, Josh Robinson, Synjyn Days
WR: DeAndre Smelter, Tre McBride, Jamison Crowder, Deontay Greenberry, Devante Davis, Kasen Williams
TE: Jesse James, Jean Sifrin, MyCole Pruitt, Blake Bell

I think there's likely to be some very good talent available in the 6th and 7th rounds, and in the UDFA class.

Discuss.

I cannot discuss the potential draftes as I don't even pretend to be a Draftnik. But I am interested in the Pats Draft and Bill's approach to it.

I wholeheartedly agree that this should be a quality lineman Draft, but with emphasis on the weaker offensive line. It's not that I don't want to draft Defensive linemen, it is just that BB has devoted a lot to rebuilding the Defense and the Front 7, and has several recent acquisitions already, that may merely need more development, like Buchanan, Moore, Easley, Siliga, the Jones es.

BB has emphasizeed drafting LOT candidates and then gotten by with interior linemen of indifferent quality on the interior, while spending resources addressing other areas more needful of attention. BB quotes like, "You can always find a Guard" and "You draft Left Tackles..." seem to define BB's perspective on the O-line. But for once, with the Defense largely rebuilt, and no other crying need, I think it is a perfect time to try to acquire better O-line talent to work with, rather than heady but athletically limited PS types.

I don't know if BB will try to draft Gs, or fall back on his approach of selecting lesser rated Left Tackle candidates, and moving them inside. Doing so leads to agile, good pass blocking Gs, who are generally undersized, and are not good drive blockers for an overpowering running game. When he selects Right tackle candidates instead, he can end up with too tall, clumsy, G candidates with size but perhaps little quickness, to engage in a drive blocking scheme.

The result is a average good Offensive line, that very good defensive lines in the Playoffs can neutralize, limiting offensive success in big games. I'd really like BB to draft a pair of very good, big, quick and powerful G candidates to complete a very good Offensive line.

I also agree that BB prefers a RBBC and WRBC system for his Offensive skill positions. So BB can certainly try to add to those squads with Day 3 skill position selections.

The one exception might be a Day 2-3 addition at RB. Ideally, one who can both run and also catch; or resign the only highly skilled position RB on the roster, even if he can't catch very well, in Ridley. That may be possible on a lesser post injury contract.

It amazes me how closely your thought on the upcoming Pats Draft is to my own, and I defer to your Draft wisdom, (and ultimately BBs), on who those draftees might be.

I'll throw in Central Connecticut's RB/return man Rob Holloman

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back